Channel switching on a Bogner Shiva

tnjazz

Hey all,

I've got a Bogner Shiva (2 channels plus boost) and I'm trying to set the FX8 up to channel switch. I'm using a humbuster/balanced TRS cable and my thought was to switch between clean and dirty on the X, and clean and boost on the Y. The weird thing is I had this working last week and now it's not, and will switch only between clean and boost. Cable tests fine and works properly, so I'm wondering if there's some setting in the FX8 that might be interfering? Basically TIP and BOTH engage boost and I can't figure out why.

Anyone ever set up an amp relay this way? Any tips?

I think you should try a standard instrument cable here & NOT a Humbuster cable.

Doesn't the Humbuster have two different ends to break the hum?

Good luck!

X

Sorry, I don't think I explained myself very well. I'm actually using a standard TRS cable for the relay, not a humbuster. The cable is on a snake with my others, which are humbusters.

The problem I'm having is that it's switching between clean and boost, not clean and dirty. I can live without the boost channel if necessary but what frustrates me is I actually had it working a week or so ago, but I must have made some changes in the FX8 setup in the meantime and I'm not sure what would affect the switching.

i found a post on here about switching an Atma which indicates a TRS cable will switch between all 3 channels and I'm pretty sure the Shiva is the same. The problem seems to be the Fractal settings somewhere but I can't for the life of me figure out what is doing it.

So a little update here. I have a 2 button TRS foot switch that works perfectly. One button switches channels and the other switches between dirty and boost.

So that tells me it's something in the configuration of the Fractal. I've tried everything I know but it does not seem to want to switch ch1 to ch2, only ch1 to boost.

Does anyone here use a single relay to switch 3 channels on their amps with XY that can help me get the right settings for the relay?

FWIW it works fine on my 2 channel amps, just not on the 3 channel one.

One more quick update. Relay 2 works correctly, with the exact same settings as far as I can tell. What am I missing?

I did have a relay go bad on my FX8, but it totally stopped working though.

I used relay #2 for my next gig & then Fractal fixed the relay issue. It was done very fast & efficient too.

I've used my FX8 for relay switching on my 2-channel Friedman Runt, midi switching in my Carvin Legacy & on my Mesa TC-50.

Both of my 3-channel amps are midi switching amps & the foot controllers are unique/non-TRS ones.....

If both ends of your standard amp footswitch are TRS & your relay #2 is working just fine, you have a bad relay switch I assume.

Did you buy this unit new? I have faith that Fractal Audio will take care of you either way & good luck!

X

Wow, glad I'm not going crazy! I will do a little more messing around but it seems at this point that the relay may have gone bad. It still works fine for a typical 2 channel amp but I did buy this new direct so it will probably go back for a checkup and repair shortly.

Thanks!

Wow, glad I'm not going crazy! I will do a little more messing around but it seems at this point that the relay may have gone bad. It still works fine for a typical 2 channel amp but I did buy this new direct so it will probably go back for a checkup and repair shortly.

Thanks!
Just double check w/ the guys at Fractal 1st.......They will know what if something's off.

X

Have you tried another TRS cable? I have a Shiva + FX8 and have no issues channel switching with relay 1. I also use relay 2 for reverb on/off. Sorry, I don't remember the settings off hand..

Back
Top Bottom