Changing tubes...no real difference.

I can hear and feel the difference most noticeably on non-MV amps, and also high-gain amps when the power section is being driven hard along with the preamp.

Swapping in KT88s or 6550s for an EL34-powered Marshall-type makes a pretty noticeable difference in feel and power amp response IMO, for example.

That said, I almost never mess with it these days. If I'm trying to get a particular rig's sound just for fun, sure, but it's absolutely not necessary just for basic dialing in.

I can hear and feel the difference most noticeably on non-MV amps, and also high-gain amps when the power section is being driven hard along with the preamp.

Your perceptions are the same as mine regarding power tube types; I use non-MV most of the time and I go through the different types (for both the preamp and power tubes) and sometimes change the default models for each position...it's a fine finishing touch. But yea, the power amp needs to be opened up to get a full appreciation of the various power tube types and their affect on feel/tone IME.

... but I think I get it .... different tubes don't have different tone .... but the different types of tubes all cause a different reaction within the signal circuit that alters the ...ummm... tone.

Practically, yes, just think of it that way; different power tubes/types don't have an inherent 'tone' but have differing operating characteristics, bias points, transconductance, etc. which all interact with the surrounding circuitry/components in ways unique to that particular tube type/variant, giving the total 'ecosystem' a particular feel/response, etc.

The basic idea is that in a real amp when you change from tube type A to tube type B, you'll hear a difference because the amp is setup to use tube type A.

In the Axe-Fx, when you change tube types, the amp's internal components are instantly reconfigured for the new tube type, so the difference is going to be incredibly subtle.
this exactly. it's the "mismatch" that makes most of a difference in real amps. somewhere in the archives are instructions on which parameters to tweak to achieve the same results.

There is a difference and some amps you can tell more so than others. It's more subtle than you might think.

My experience with real amps as well. I always laugh when I've heard people say stuff like, "I put EL34's in my Rectifier and it turned it into a Marshall Plexi". Bullshit, the change is VERY subtle and many times imperceptible.

I remember years ago I had a Splawn amplifier and changed the EL34s out for KT77s. There was not a HUGE difference but what did change was there was more low end, and that is exactly what I wanted. I'm sure there are some noticeable changes with some amps, as mentioned above.

I think the key is to realize that Cliff is like a mad scientist. Although one parameter alone might not make a difference, it is all of them together that make the difference. A tube adjustment, change in transformer, etc., etc.

As with anything Modelled, the answer is in your ears, I'm sorry but if you have been gigging since your late teens etc without ear protection there is very good chance that some of the subtleties in any tweakery are completely lost as you probably can't hear above 10khz and have permanent low level tinnitus.Its essential for anyone gigging regularly to get their ears checked and buy fitted earplugs

Back
Top Bottom