Changing Tone Stack

i have what might be a dumb question...

Is it possible to change the tone stack in a preamp? For example, can I dial up a 5F1 champ, and then drop in a Princeton tonestack / eq?

Reason I ask is my fave amp is a Cornell Romany, which is basically a tweed champ with a Princeton tone stack. I’d like to try to “model” it.

Thanks,

Philbert

Yes you absolutely can do this. Although I can't seem to find the Princeton tone stack in the drop down menu. However, there IS a drop down menu in the preamp tab of axe edit where you can swap out tone stacks and it makes for some creative and interesting combinations.

Princeton Reverb uses same tone stack as the Deluxe Reverb. Both have a fixed 6.8k resistor for Mids. This value is at 5 (noon) on the Axe II models. Swap the fixed 6.8k resistor for a 10k pot and you get the Twin and Super Reverb tone stack. They are almost identical.

Hmm. Maybe I’m doing something wrong. I select the 5F1, then go to preamp. And change it to Blackface. I go back to basic, but the bass and mid controls don’t effect the tone.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

The Brit Silver with the Dumble Skyline tonestack is my favorite never made amp.

Second place goes to the Keith Urban amp using the Wrecker tone stack.

With the proper IR, you get instant rock awesomeness.

You should be able to do this.

Are you attempting to do this Axe Edit or via front panel?

Axe edit. Latest version, latest firmware, axe is only a week old.

I select the 5F1 in axe edit, and confirm it appears, then go to preamp button and change the tone stack to Blackface. I then go back to the basic button. The treble dial changes the tone, but the bass and mid don’t seem to do anything.

Thanks!

Axe edit. Latest version, latest firmware, axe is only a week old.

I select the 5F1 in axe edit, and confirm it appears, then go to preamp button and change the tone stack to Blackface. I then go back to the basic button. The treble dial changes the tone, but the bass and mid don’t seem to do anything.

Thanks!
The tone stack swap works for me in making the other controls active. I used the Super Reverb as an example as I saw no Tone Stack in Q 9.01 called "Blackface".

Try this preset. Amp Black x is the standard 5F1. Y = 5F1 with SuperReverb tone stack with extreme settings to show the controls work.

It sounds like @ss the way I set it, but that is only to show that the controls are active.

If you have a IIXL, IIXL+, or Ax-8, you will need to use FracTool to convert this. I have an Axe FXII Mark II.

Let us know how it goes.

If this is not working for you, you will need to open a support ticket so that FAS can further help you.

Attachments

• X-Std Y-ToneStkSwap.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 4
8F8728EB-81CB-4A5D-B649-388AF6FFCDC8.jpeg
The tone stack swap works for me in making the other controls active. I used the Super Reverb as an example as I saw no Tone Stack in Q 9.01 called "Blackface".

Try this preset. Amp Black x is the standard 5F1. Y = 5F1 with SuperReverb tone stack with extreme settings to show the controls work.

It sounds like @ss the way I set it, but that is only to show that the controls are active.

If you have a IIXL, IIXL+, or Ax-8, you will need to use FracTool to convert this. I have an Axe FXII Mark II.

Let us know how it goes.

If this is not working for you, you will need to open a support ticket so that FAS can further help you.

Thank you for working this through with me. For whatever reason, it seems to work now. Maybe I didn’t move the knob far enough.

Strange that you don’t have the Blackface tone stack. Here’s a screen grab from my axe edit. 014 is Blackface

View attachment 42633

Thank you for working this through with me. For whatever reason, it seems to work now. Maybe I didn’t move the knob far enough.

Strange that you don’t have the Blackface tone stack. Here’s a screen grab from my axe edit. 014 is Blackface
Aargh, #14, there it is. I see it now.

That's what I get for doing this half asleep. Sorry about that, mate. I'm glad the issue is solved.

Always try extreme knob moves first when changing out tone stacks in order to see what the operational limits each way are. I believe the pot tapers change behavior when you change tone stacks to whatever the new tone stack's behavior is.

Always use your ears not eyes when tweaking tone controls in the Fractal. Quite a few amps have very different tone control behaviors.

I'd suggest to also try copying other preamp values (like hi and low cuts, tonestack frequency and presence frequency) from the reference amp when trying to make a "hybrid" amp. Tonestack selection only changes the topology I believe.

Anyway I've had better results when doing the opposite: select the amp from which you want to take the preamp and copy all power amp and PI related parameters from the other amp.

Last edited:
This should be written on the faceplate of every Axe-Fx. It really helps you see what a parameter does. Any parameter.

I totally agree with this. Extreme knob changes will tell you what characteristics to listen for when a parameter changes, then you can evaluate in a more objective manner what modest knob changes are doing to your sound.

Back
Top Bottom