Changing to a Bareknuckle Bridge Pickup in a Jackson PC-1

Megadebt

Experienced
I wrote Bareknuckle for their opinion of what pickup would be best for this – a Jackson PC-1. Specifically for pre Painkiller Era Judas Priest. In particular, the following songs: Victim Of Changes, Green Manalishi, and Beyond The Realms Of Death.

The guitar currently has the stock bridge pickup: DiMarzio® Super 3™ DP152

I should hear back soon. It will be interesting to see what they say. While I wait for their reply, I'm going to their website to figure out/decide how I want the pickup designed to look in an Au Natural Finish PC-1. Do you guys think it will make a difference tone-wise if the pickup is covered or uncovered? There are many more cosmetic options for their covers versus uncovered pickups.

I put a BK Pickup in my Les Paul and I fell in love. I think I like BK pickups!

That was an extremely easy choice for how I want the pickup to look in this au natural pc1. I chose their Tyger Pickup Cover with aged gold bolts

pc1 pu covers.jpgpc au.png

I have quite a few BKP in various guitars, but they are now getting a bit expensive with extra taxes etc. Deffo clarity is ace with them.

I used to have a Painkiller in an Ibanez J Custom, but sold the guitar a few years ago. It was the chuggyiest pup I ever played with a ton of mids.

I’m anxious to see what they recommend you. I’m wondering if it’s going to be the holy diver. I have that pickup in its original form as well as the version they modified for AXN to put in their Baretta’s.
My current favorite 80s pick ups have been bareknuckle holy divers (in an 87 Charvel model 3a) and Suhr Doug Aldrich(in a PRS SC58). I'm also moving towards cold sweats (John Sykes Thin Lizzy tone)but waiting on a shipment.

I like BKP's but yeah they get pricey. I had the rebel yells in one guitar and a Painkiller in the other. No longer have those guitars but really enjoyed the pickups.

If the JP IS John Petrucci maybe… but Judas Priest??
I listen to Victim of Changes, and I'm not thinking any pickup that intense.

Here's the tone you mentioned:

To be honest, a JB would probably get you there.
You can probably look up what KK and Glen had in their guitars.

That’s a great sounding pick up, don’t get me wrong. I’m just going back to the original ask and making sure you get the end result you’re looking for.

Hope it helps

I took the Dimarzio Super 3 out of the PC1. First step done! 🤘

I have a guitar that would be way better off with the Super 3 in it versus the pickup that is in it now. The Super 3 will be recycled, not thrown away.

I also wanted to mention that I am not locking the Floyd Bridge, which was the plan at one point. I am setting it up as it left the factory, fully floating the trem, and a new set of the guitar's original gauge 11-52 strings. I had put EB Mammoth Slinky Strings on it and the sustainer would not even work on those heavy strings, duh me! Well it still worked, but just barely, lol.

A fully floating bridge does have some cool benefits. I'll probably get used to playing a full floater, just need to keep playing it!

Gonna go take another look at how I want the Nailbomb Pickup designed. Maybe I'll just put a stock looking black one in there, less expensive that way! However, I do like bolts instead of screws for the pole pieces.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom