Changing the Tone...

Veloso1978

Inspired
Hi everyone,
Hi have a question?
It’s my ears but a notice when using FX Block and it’s on the Right way..., I put the cab in the end like everyone said... Once more the Fx Block don’t make any difference on my sound but I notice when move the cab to end the sound changes a litlle bit and lose some good tone in the FOH. Anyway to do any tweak to sound better?
I will put the pic to see I do it right.
Cheers to everyone.

Attachments

• 2B04CF71-809A-49F8-A802-45A351BBC6AE.jpeg
    2B04CF71-809A-49F8-A802-45A351BBC6AE.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 35
the way your chain is set up, you’re sending the whole chain without cab block to output 2, and the whole chain without graphic eq to output 1. So if you’re only connecting output 1 to foh, the fxl block has no influence. If you’re connecting output 2, then you have no cab block, and that might sound weird.

I don't know if you have done it before, but if you would lay out your signal chain showing all your equipment connections that may help. Changing something in the FX loop wouldn't affect the sound through Out 1, and changing something after the split to the FX loop won't change the sound through Out2.

What kind of changes are you expecting from the fx loop block? There's really nothing there but a mixer and you shouldn't really need to mess with that anyways.

What's wrong with your tone? Do you have good FOH sound but bad tone in your Marshall cab? We might be able to help you better if we know what your trying to fix.

the way your chain is set up, you’re sending the whole chain without cab block to output 2, and the whole chain without graphic eq to output 1. So if you’re only connecting output 1 to foh, the fxl block has no influence. If you’re connecting output 2, then you have no cab block, and that might sound weird.
How to resolve to the sound don’t look so weird in the output 2?

What kind of changes are you expecting from the fx loop block? There's really nothing there but a mixer and you shouldn't really need to mess with that anyways.

What's wrong with your tone? Do you have good FOH sound but bad tone in your Marshall cab? We might be able to help you better if we know what your trying to fix.
The question are when I move the Cab Block to the end of the chain to me our my ears looks the sound changes a bit but it’s like a said. I know the Fx Block are just to make my monitor in stage... and I know I’ve got a Matrix and a real cab and the best tone are with a FRFR... I just question to my self if are anyway to reset the Axe fx without losing all my stuff just to restore the parameters from the factory. Maybe I resolve some issues. Are any methods to do that to?

There shouldn't be any need to reset the whole unit to fix one preset setup. How have you tried dialing in your sounds? Maybe start with just dialing in a sound through your real cabinet, then make an IR of your cabinet.

There shouldn't be any need to reset the whole unit to fix one preset setup. How have you tried dialing in your sounds? Maybe start with just dialing in a sound through your real cabinet, then make an IR of your cabinet.
Maybe if in I/O take off stereo in Output 1 and put Sum L/R it works better?

the question is: what do you want coming out from output 2? same thing as output 1? In that case you have to move the fxl parallel path after the cab block, so that you're sending the cab block to both outputs. The way you set it up would be the best option if you wanted to send output 2 into a neutral power amp / speaker. But if you're sending it to frfr or iem you should send the cab block too

the question is: what do you want coming out from output 2? same thing as output 1? In that case you have to move the fxl parallel path after the cab block, so that you're sending the cab block to both outputs. The way you set it up would be the best option if you wanted to send output 2 into a neutral power amp / speaker. But if you're sending it to frfr or iem you should send the cab block too
But if I put the FX Block in parallel after Cab Block don’t make the presets strange in output 2 I using a real cab and a state amp ]Matrix]
Do you have any picture to see how you configurate the fx Block?

But if I put the FX Block in parallel after Cab Block don’t make the presets strange? I using a real cab and a state amp ]Matrix]
Do you have any picture to see how you configurate the fx Block?

I don't use a solid state power amp / real cab so I am not 100% sure on the best configuration. Personally I used to use output2 to feed a real amp on stage with fx only (no amp sims), so I would place the fxl block on a parallel row after the fx chain before the amp blocks. If I had to feed a frfr, I'd just move the fxl block after the cab blocks. If I had to feed a matrix / guitar cab, then I'm sure someone else might help you better than I would!

I don't use a solid state power amp / real cab so I am not 100% sure on the best configuration. Personally I used to use output2 to feed a real amp on stage with fx only (no amp sims), so I would place the fxl block on a parallel row after the fx chain before the amp blocks. If I had to feed a frfr, I'd just move the fxl block after the cab blocks. If I had to feed a matrix / guitar cab, then I'm sure someone else might help you better than I would!
Ok thanks for the tips...I just think the best way to resolve my problem are invest in a FRFR Cab... I just think to buy the Friedman ASC-12... What you think that Cab?

The question are when I move the Cab Block to the end of the chain to me our my ears looks the sound changes a bit but it’s like a said. I know the Fx Block are just to make my monitor in stage... and I know I’ve got a Matrix and a real cab and the best tone are with a FRFR... I just question to my self if are anyway to reset the Axe fx without losing all my stuff just to restore the parameters from the factory. Maybe I resolve some issues. Are any methods to do that to?

I'm having a really hard time understanding your setup. I thought you had FOH-FRFR coming out of out1 and then your stage monitor (matrix and 1922) coming from output 2.

In that case, you definitely want the cab block at the end of the chain, right where it is in the picture you posted. This way the FOH-FRFR tone has the cab impulse so that it sounds like a real mic'ed cab. You typically don't want the cab block to be affecting output 2 at all, and that's why you use the fxloop block to split the signal off and send everything minus the can block to your cab.

Personally I use a matrix and a Vader 2x12 and I prefer that over frfr hand over foot. Frfr might be more versatile, but to me, nothing beats an amp and cab for sound and feel for your own rig.

Why don't you post up your preset so we can take a look at it directly? I can check it out through my XiTone for the frfr side and my cab for the out2.

He did put a preset in another post, and based on the routing it should run like you said. I think the problem is not being able to get the same sound from the stage cab as FOH.

Ok thanks for the tips...I just think the best way to resolve my problem are invest in a FRFR Cab... I just think to buy the Friedman ASC-12... What you think that Cab?

If you want your stage sound to match your FOH you're better off getting the most uncolored FRFR you can afford.

Why don’t you just send your foh signal back to your stage wedge? A wedge pretty much is a frfr cab, isn’t it?

Why don’t you just send your foh signal back to your stage wedge? A wedge pretty much is a frfr cab, isn’t it?
Yes it’s true... But I don’t play must of the concerts with one stage wedge... Normally when play in a bar or something like that.

He did put a preset in another post, and based on the routing it should run like you said. I think the problem is not being able to get the same sound from the stage cab as FOH.

That makes sense.

Yeah you're going to have a very different tone coming from the cab versus the FOH. Imagine putting a real guitar amp on stage, putting a mic in front of it and sending that microphone out to FOH--basically the standard gig setup since forever. That's what you're mimicking but instead of a mic you're using the cab block.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom