Changing Scenes via MIDI triggers in a DAW automatically?

Hi Guys,

I have Cubase Pro 10 and AXE-FX III FW: 5.05.

I am trying to set cubase to change the presets and scenes with my AXE FX III automactically but when it comes to change a Scene with CC34 nothing happens?.
EXAMPLE:
Route: Cubcase - MIDI - Open List Editor.

1. Enter Controller - (Data 1) CC0 - (Data 2) 2 -
2. Enter Program Change - (Data 1) 84 - (Data 2) 0
3. Enter Controller - (Data 1) CC34 - (Data 2) 0
4. Enter Controller - (Data 1) CC34 - (Data 2) 1

Issue: Step 4 does not change the sence on my AXE FX III.

No sences are changing, everything else works, presets change OK, banks change OK but the sences do not.

If you have any suggestion I'd be really greatful.

Thanks

Attachments

• List Editor screen shot.PNG
    List Editor screen shot.PNG
    144.7 KB · Views: 10
I stumbled across this video just today so it could be old news. Maybe this has already been asked, but based on this video Adam Cook is playing through a song and using Reaper to send Midi triggers which automatically change scenes for him throughout the song. Has anyone already been trying this? If so, has it worked well? I use ProTools so I guess I'm really wondering if anyone else has attempted this in Protools?

No problem with cubase, add a midi track,declare your midi out device and channel, specify the tempo and use the design tool (pencil) to insert any midi command you need.

You'll need a tempo track also.

Hi Guys,

I have Cubase Pro 10 and AXE-FX III FW: 5.05.

I am trying to set cubase to change the presets and scenes with my AXE FX III automactically but when it comes to change a Scene with CC34 nothing happens?.
EXAMPLE:
Route: Cubcase - MIDI - Open List Editor.

1. Enter Controller - (Data 1) CC0 - (Data 2) 2 -
2. Enter Program Change - (Data 1) 84 - (Data 2) 0
3. Enter Controller - (Data 1) CC34 - (Data 2) 0
4. Enter Controller - (Data 1) CC34 - (Data 2) 1

Issue: Step 4 does not change the sence on my AXE FX III.

No sences are changing, everything else works, presets change OK, banks change OK but the sences do not.

If you have any suggestion I'd be really greatful.

Thanks
Did you set your Axe Fx to use CC #34 for Scenes? The Axe Fx II defaults to this value. The Axe Fx III has no default.

View attachment 54854

I'd recommend reading the manual... Especially if you're new to Fractal.

Hiya,

I read the manual but still having real trouble trying to select a scene. In global settings I selected default scene and entered Scene 1. I can now get the CC0 in cubase to play the scene I select (in this case scene 1). I understand I should leave this as Scene 1.

Now I have gone to MIDI/Remote Menu, browsed to Other Page, Selected Scene Select and entered 34 as this number should link to CC34 in cubase right?

I entered the Controller CC34 in List editor in cubase but nothing changes, it just stays to the default scene 1 I entered in the default scene field under global settings..

I have included a screen shot of the settings.

Am I missing something here?List editor.PNG MIDI settings.PNG

Hiya,

I read the manual but still having real trouble trying to select a scene. In global settings I selected default scene and entered Scene 1. I can now get the CC0 in cubase to play the scene I select (in this case scene 1). I understand I should leave this as Scene 1.

Now I have gone to MIDI/Remote Menu, browsed to Other Page, Selected Scene Select and entered 34 as this number should link to CC34 in cubase right?

I entered the Controller CC34 in List editor in cubase but nothing changes, it just stays to the default scene 1 I entered in the default scene field under global settings..

Am I missing something here?View attachment 54938 View attachment 54939
The default scene value isn't related to scene selection.

It looks like you are doing it right. You've got the CC set to 34 on both sides, and it looks like you are sending data value of "4", so you should change to scene 5.

I assume you've got scene 5 setup differently than whatever scene you are starting on? Or some other way to confirm the scene did not change?

Hiya,

Am I missing something here?View attachment 54938 View attachment 54939

I forgot to mention when I move the "Primary Time Display" to trigger the CC34 in Cubase List Editor the Front screen of the AXE FX III moves backwards and forwards to the scene I selected a few times and then stays on the default scene (Scene 1). So it like it trying to change it but can't.

That CC 0 is for changing preset banks... I think it's normally followed by a preset change, but I don't really know - never had to use it.

What happens if you remove that?

The default scene value isn't related to scene selection.

It looks like you are doing it right. You've got the CC set to 34 on both sides, and it looks like you are sending data value of "4", so you should change to scene 5.

I assume you've got scene 5 setup differently than whatever scene you are starting on? Or some other way to confirm the scene did not change?

yeah my scenes are different, please see below the list of scene I have up to 8 scenes.

upload_2019-5-13_23-9-36.png

Hi Guys,

I feel like I should share what I found out about the List editor in Cubase Pro 10. The controllers (CC34) and Program Changes only take effect when you play the track...not when you scroll through the track using the "Primary Time Display" pictured below:

upload_2019-5-17_23-15-5.png

Remember if you click play then the controllers and program changes will work and the AXE FX III will switch presets and scenes as it should.

I also found when scrolling through the track and passing either a Crontroller or Program Change using the "Primary Time Display" (pictured above) the front screen on my AXE FX III goes crazy for about 10-15 seconds, maybe longer. To stop this I usually click play and stop and play etc and wait a bit until the AXE FX III has selected the correct preset or scene cubase is referring too. Has anyone else experienced this?

Back
Top Bottom