Changing Scenes via MIDI triggers in a DAW automatically?

blynd

I stumbled across this video just today so it could be old news. Maybe this has already been asked, but based on this video Adam Cook is playing through a song and using Reaper to send Midi triggers which automatically change scenes for him throughout the song. Has anyone already been trying this? If so, has it worked well? I use ProTools so I guess I'm really wondering if anyone else has attempted this in Protools?

I think it can be done in any DAW that has MIDI and can send CCs. Best if you just send from DAW MIDI sequencer to Axe FX, and not have simultaneous incoming and outgoing control. IMO MIDI can get complicated when controlling synths in the DAW using external keyboards or controllers, or the various things like Ableton allows like triggering clips, while also trying to control the AXE FX via CCs in the MIDI track.

That's cool, thanks for sharing! I'm gonna see if I can put something together for Protools and I'll share that one.

Your welcome.

Definitely share what you find out in Pro tools, when I tried to do this in Cubase I couldn't find anything other than for other DAWs and units, so it was largely a case of figuring it out.

Your welcome.

Definitely share what you find out in Pro tools, when I tried to do this in Cubase I couldn't find anything other than for other DAWs and units, so it was largely a case of figuring it out.

What I found in another thread actually regarding Pro Tools is the following:

1. Create a midi track
2. Make sure the output is set to the output connected to the AxeFX
3. Insert program change in the midi event list.

What I found in another thread actually regarding Pro Tools is the following:

1. Create a midi track
2. Make sure the output is set to the output connected to the AxeFX
3. Insert program change in the midi event list.

And the other thing you would need would be the CCs for Bank and/or scene change. The values would be the same as my Cubase tutorial.

Nice, I should try this in Ableton :)
A friend of mine did something similar with apple's Mainstage 2.

You know what? I'd actually like to see this work in reverse. Me switching scenes on my MFC101 while recording those changes to my DAW in realtime. Then when I play it back we get the same effect as described above. Is that possible? I guess you just record a MIDI track right?

Bringing this topic back as I'm curious to know if this (scene selection via DAW) can be used in conjunction with regular preset / scene control via mfc (ethercon). I just have a couple tunes where I'm switching between guitar and piano and it would be cool if the daw could change scene for me, and then back to normal use for the rest of the set.
What would the setup be for that sort of scenario? Would I send the midi out of the daw to the mfc midi in or to the axe midi in? Does the ethercon overrides the daw cc in case I wanted to?

DAW to Axe MIDI In. CC#34. Scene 1: Value 0; scene 2: value 1; scene 3: value2, etc. Works for me with both MFC and computer connected to Axe-Fx.

Hope this answers your question.

Reactions: edo
DAW to Axe MIDI In. CC#34. Scene 1: Value 0; scene 2: value 1; scene 3: value2, etc. Works for me with both MFC and computer connected to Axe-Fx.

Hope this answers your question.
So I connect a midi cable from the daw to axe midi in and ethercon from mfc to axe and they both work at the same time, correct? Do I have to set anything in the axe menu?

I'm not in front of my set up right now so I can't look through menus, but my DAW (iMac/Logic) is connected to Axe FX II XL via USB only and my MFC is connected via ethercon. However I don't think it's quite accurate to say that the Axe will respond to both "at the same time" but rather only in sequence. So if you want your DAW to change scenes for one song and then revert to using the MFC for subsequent songs that should work.

I should add: I do this all the time at home.

Last edited:
Bringing this topic back as I'm curious to know if this (scene selection via DAW) can be used in conjunction with regular preset / scene control via mfc (ethercon). I just have a couple tunes where I'm switching between guitar and piano and it would be cool if the daw could change scene for me, and then back to normal use for the rest of the set.
What would the setup be for that sort of scenario? Would I send the midi out of the daw to the mfc midi in or to the axe midi in? Does the ethercon overrides the daw cc in case I wanted to?

You can change automatically scenes with a daw (i use reaper for that playing with backtrack) and use the MFC manually at all time
You need for that a midi track with cc34 at the moment you need changes

just look at this video from Bigtim
It is made for sendig CC from reaper to pod HD500, but it is exactly the same thing for sending CC to the axe FX
It is very easy to do.

Yup! I did this when I was in a Rammstein tribute band. The band used Ableton Live to send a click track to the drummer and all of the keyboard sounds to the house. Along with that, I sent a midi track to my Axe FX and it automatically changed my scenes, etc per song. It's really cool to have that work for you!

I should also mention that I setup one of the buttons on my MFC to start the next song in the Ableton Playlist. so whoever the band was ready to go, I just hit the button we were off on the next tune.

Back
Top Bottom