Changing expression pedal control on the fly

Before I add it to the wish list, is there some way to change what an expression pedal controls on the fly, besides changing presets? I was thinking, if there was an option to have the IA that was turned on most recently determine what the expression pedal controls would be nice. Press delay, control delay depth, press rotary, control rotary speed, press wah to control wah, press pitch to control whammy. Sure there are times when I might want the pedal to control one parameter, but that would be more rare I think. For that rare occasion, I could make another preset. But I'd like the default to be "most recently pressed".

I know there are 4 expressions on the MFC, but my pedalboard is already heavy enough and large enough with just the MFC and the 2 Mission pedals.

Reactions: yek
If I understand you correctly, you shouldn't really need to change the CC the XP is assigned to

you change the effect parameters that are assigned to the XP [via it's modifier] on a per preset basis

it also seems to me that you are talking about IA switches rather than expression pedals [XP]/ switches [XS]

you can set up an IA so that it's assigned to a MIDI: CC#, which is in turn assigned to a modifier
this behaves the same as an XS and therefore means that the 'things' you want to switch on / off or otherwise manipulte are handled via the External modifiers..
you can change what these do on a preset by preset basis without changing the CC number assigned to the switch

maybe you could offer an example of what it is you are trying to achieve
then some of the very smart folk in here could offer alternative solutions..

You could assign other efx to the same CC #.

So a single pedal could control multiple efx within a preset as long as they are not all on simultaneously.

You could assign other efx to the same CC #..

personally I'd avoid this...
because this method is "system wide", it's very inflexible and also you stand more of a chance of configuring yourself into a corner

personally I'd avoid this...
because this method is "system wide", it's very inflexible and also you stand more of a chance of configuring yourself into a corner

I end to use the version 2 of efx to help avoid such problems, like WahWah 2, Multidelay 2, etc....things that would see very little (read: no) use otherwise.

I end to use the version 2 of efx to help avoid such problems, like WahWah 2, Multidelay 2, etc....things that would see very little (read: no) use otherwise.

the prob with this though is that it'll hook some fx together because they are assigned to the same CC
this kills the flexibility..
with modifiers however, you can have any combination of anything on a per preset basis and therefore avoid this configuration pitfall

I don't think multiple bypasses on one CC# is really what he's trying to set up.

Currently doing exactly what you described isn't quite possible, unless you'd only have one effect in the group activated at any time. Then it's pretty simple: assign the pedal's EXT CTRL to whatever you want in each block. When that block is engaged you'll hear the pedal doing whatever it's set to do for that block.

If you want to leave certain effects on but stop the pedal from affecting their sound when controlling some other effect, it gets trickier. Sometimes a certain routing/modifier setup could do what you want, like fixing a delay at a certain level while you're using wah or whammy, but allowing delay level control otherwise.

Multiple MFC presets that recall the same Axe-FX preset is another option. Then you could change the pedal CC# per preset, plus have each preset load a certain combination of effects if you want.

It is a little bit of both, but there is a way to do it without ever taking your foot off the Mission pedal. The thing is that pedal has to be an SP-2. I have one that I finally got working the way I wanted after some great help from forum folks. It is essentially two expression pedals in one, with a switch at the front that swaps between. There is an LED located on the front that switches color with the change so you know which side you're using (red/blue). The LED requires 9v, but the pedal works with or without power. I built a 9v battery box with a switch into mine so I didn't have to run a power cord up to my mic stand just for the pedal. On mine, I control wah/whammy on some presets, wah/volume on others.

As the Axe Fx normally leaves the preset in the last position it saw the pedal, you have to make sure "off" for your autoengage is at the front (where the button is) so effect 1 goes off when you switch to effect 2. You then pick up the second effect as you rock the pedal back into your preset autoengage range. It takes a little getting used to but works good once you get the work flow. You're still stepping on a switch, it's just in the pedal instead of going back and forth to the MFC and (invariably) stepping on the wrong IA button. With two SP-2 pedals, you could control 4 expression pedal ports.

I don't think multiple bypasses on one CC# is really what he's trying to set up.

Currently doing exactly what you described isn't quite possible, unless you'd only have one effect in the group activated at any time. Then it's pretty simple: assign the pedal's EXT CTRL to whatever you want in each block. When that block is engaged you'll hear the pedal doing whatever it's set to do for that block.

If you want to leave certain effects on but stop the pedal from affecting their sound when controlling some other effect, it gets trickier. Sometimes a certain routing/modifier setup could do what you want, like fixing a delay at a certain level while you're using wah or whammy, but allowing delay level control otherwise.

Multiple MFC presets that recall the same Axe-FX preset is another option. Then you could change the pedal CC# per preset, plus have each preset load a certain combination of effects if you want.

Thanks for these tips. I guess I could deal with just having one of these effects on at a time. I like having the wah always there so I can just step on it, but I guess I need to put wah on a IA, then choose between wah, rotary speed, whammy, and delay depth. Since I might want a delay with one of these other effect, I could put up another delay with no pedal control.

Thanks for the help everybody.

Last edited:
I hate to turn every 3rd thread I participate in into a Liquid Foot topic, but Jeff has this setup REALLY REALLY well. You can set up a button on the LF to have 4 steps. Each time you press it, it can do something different. Two of those "somethings" are to switch what CC an expression pedal is sending, and to switch which IA an external button is setup to toggle. So with that in mind, each step can change the modifier that an expression pedal is tied to AND change which IA the button is assigned to, if we're talking about an SP-1. So the expression pedal starts out as Modifier 1, which for me is volume out on every one of my presets, with the button set to nothing. A second press of the button changes it to Mod 2, a volume input pedal. Third press makes it Mod 3, which I use for wah, and sets the SP-1 button to wah bypass. A fourth press sets it to mod 4, for pitch, and sets the SP-1 button to pitch bypass. One more press takes me back to volume out, with nothing on the SP-1 button.

I can name the steps, and it tells me where I'm at on the LF display. If you prefer auto-engage, you can also have it send a 0 value as you switch from one to the other to make sure that the last modifier you had it set to gets shut off. Right now I have a single expression pedal, and I think that could be all I need.

Again, not trying to make this an LF thread. But the thing is damn cool. The option discussed above it a good one though for anyone with a different controller.

Back
Top Bottom