Changing bright cap has no effect in SLO-100 Rhythm

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
I like to play with the value of the bright cap.
But on this particular model it has no effect.
I could turn it all the way up without hearing any difference.
Is this by design?

Makes a differenced for me - having just tried it. Granted its not as big a difference as on some, but sweeping it from 10pf (default) to 10000pf definitely shows a change.

I tried it using X/Y.
I copied the X amp to Y and changed the value to 10000pF
There's indeed a difference but it's barely audible.

As in real amps the impact of the brightcap is inversely proportial to the gain setting, which means full gain = bright cap bypassed. Use a low gain setting and you will hear the difference. If you need more gain, adjust with the input trim.

I'm currently working on an amp bank.
So I've just about gone through all models that are in the Axe-Fx.

In most models, increasing the bright cap value has a dramatic and clearly audible effect.
Not so on the SLO 100 rhythm and a few others.
I rarely ever use a drive setting > 4.
I raise the gain up to a point where, when turning down the volume, it cleans up nicely.
But sometimes the sound isn't sparkling but rather muffled. that's when I raise the bright cap value.
What I've noticed is that increasing the cap value increases gain as well.
So then I need to lower the gain a bit.

But just to be sure, I checked the drive setting on the SLO 100 Rhythm and it was quite high indeed: 7.15.
I don't know why I started that high. I thought it was the default setting.
So I lowered it to 2.51, raised the cap to about 2000pF...
et voila

Thanks for the tip!
I'll check the other amp models again.

The higher the drive, the less influence the bright cap has. At maximum drive the bright cap has no effect.

The original purpose of the bright cap was to increase treble boost as you turned the volume down. This is because high output pickups are darker than low output pickups and the user would normally set the drive lower and vice-versa.

Thanks for clearing that up Cliff.
oh and BTW, if you're looking for the Dutch version of your signature, it's "Heilige kakbollen"

Back
Top Bottom