changing amp model without changing amp parameters?

He's talking about being able to maintain the same graphic eq curve you've dialed in on one amp across different amps that you change to, without it flattening out when you change to a different model.........

Humm, I must have missed it? I didn't see or read anything about having to maintain an EQ setting in an amp block in the OP.

It sounds like the actual question is How to compare sounds between different firmware versions ?.

"Is there any way -- in either Ax8-Edit or on the Ax8 itself -- to change the amp model without most of the amp parameters changing?

There are times I'd like to try out similar amps (for example, switching between the three different variations of the HBE) to get a feel for their unique characteristics or see which works best in a particular context, but so much changes (particularly if I've already dialed in some advanced parameters) that it becomes difficult to know what tonal differences are due to "under the hood" differences in the models, and what is due to various parameters being automatically adjusted. The only way I know of to tell is to go through the tedious process of resetting all parameters to be the same as they were before changing the amp model. There must be a better way that I'm just not aware of ".

The advanced parameters are always going to change when you choose another Amp in a preset. Even if you select and Amp, adjust all the basic and advanced parameters you want, then copy X-state to Y-state.....once you swap over the Y-state and change the Amp model.....all the advanced parameters change to whatever is default for the amp you select. There is no way that I am aware of for you to freeze those advanced parameters...you will just have to make note of everything you change for Amp 1 and then make the same changes for Amp 2, Amp 3, etc...

Humm, I must have missed it? I didn't see or read anything about having to maintain an EQ setting in an amp block in the OP.

It sounds like the actual question is How to compare sounds between different firmware versions ?.

"Is there any way -- in either Ax8-Edit or on the Ax8 itself -- to change the amp model without most of the amp parameters changing?

There are times I'd like to try out similar amps (for example, switching between the three different variations of the HBE) to get a feel for their unique characteristics or see which works best in a particular context, but so much changes (particularly if I've already dialed in some advanced parameters) that it becomes difficult to know what tonal differences are due to "under the hood" differences in the models, and what is due to various parameters being automatically adjusted. The only way I know of to tell is to go through the tedious process of resetting all parameters to be the same as they were before changing the amp model. There must be a better way that I'm just not aware of ".

I'm pretty sure he is talking about being able to try out the different versions of the same Amp in the AX8(same firmware version) without having to redo all his Advanced Parameter adjustments each time he changes the Amp model. For instance....the HBE he is talking about has 3 different versions in the Axe Amp list:
He wants to be able to swap between all 3 and have ALL OF HIS ADJUSTMENTS in the Amp Block stay the same. When he changes the model though, all the Advanced(or Deep) Parameters reset according to what Amp you choose.

The advanced parameters are always going to change when you choose another Amp in a preset. Even if you select and Amp, adjust all the basic and advanced parameters you want, then copy X-state to Y-state.....once you swap over the Y-state and change the Amp model.....all the advanced parameters change to whatever is default for the amp you select. There is no way that I am aware of for you to freeze those advanced parameters...you will just have to make note of everything you change for Amp 1 and then make the same changes for Amp 2, Amp 3, etc...
Exactly, we want to be able to freeze them haha

There's a way, but it needs a special software to be developed. It would load the preset, modify the amp model, then send the preset to the AxeFx again without touching any other parameter...

I'm pretty sure he is talking about being able to try out the different versions of the same Amp in the AX8(same firmware version) without having to redo all his Advanced Parameter adjustments each time he changes the Amp model. For instance....the HBE he is talking about has 3 different versions in the Axe Amp list:
He wants to be able to swap between all 3 and have ALL OF HIS ADJUSTMENTS in the Amp Block stay the same. When he changes the model though, all the Advanced(or Deep) Parameters reset according to what Amp you choose.

Ok, That's how I read it but until AlGrenadine did his magic the only way was to build three different presets.

Thanks AlGrenadine, for these updates to AxeFxSend / FracTool (I dig the new name, btw)! I've been playing around with it a bit. It works well and it is quite useful, as I expected it to be.

The most obvious use is for switching between different versions of the same amp, such as the HBE and this provides a much more efficient and fun way to experiment with that. It's a great addition for that alone. But, as I suspected, it is also useful for switching between different models entirely, such as trying different plexi variants and offshoots with otherwise identical settings. I've already found a lot of cool tones this way, in some cases finding tones I really like with amps that I've not really been particularly excited by when pulling it up with its typical defaults. Among other things, I'm finding it useful for finding variations of my go-to tones that still have the basic character I like about the tone in the first place.

I'm surprised so many people didn't see the value in this kind of feature, but I'm very happy that you did, and that you have the skills and generosity to provide this (on top of all the other features that FracTool provides) to the community!

Back
Top Bottom