changing amp model without changing amp parameters?

Is there any way -- in either Ax8-Edit or on the Ax8 itself -- to change the amp model without most of the amp parameters changing?

There are times I'd like to try out similar amps (for example, switching between the three different variations of the HBE) to get a feel for their unique characteristics or see which works best in a particular context, but so much changes (particularly if I've already dialed in some advanced parameters) that it becomes difficult to know what tonal differences are due to "under the hood" differences in the models, and what is due to various parameters being automatically adjusted. The only way I know of to tell is to go through the tedious process of resetting all parameters to be the same as they were before changing the amp model. There must be a better way that I'm just not aware of.

Is there any way -- in either Ax8-Edit or on the Ax8 itself -- to change the amp model without most of the amp parameters changing?

There are times I'd like to try out similar amps (for example, switching between the three different variations of the HBE) to get a feel for their unique characteristics or see which works best in a particular context, but so much changes (particularly if I've already dialed in some advanced parameters) that it becomes difficult to know what tonal differences are due to "under the hood" differences in the models, and what is due to various parameters being automatically adjusted. The only way I know of to tell is to go through the tedious process of resetting all parameters to be the same as they were before changing the amp model. There must be a better way that I'm just not aware of.
Maybe try AMP X/Y switching

Or worst case you could build different presets using the same amp and cab but changing the parameters you want to audition.

Maybe try AMP X/Y switching

With X/Y switching, you still have the problem of having to go parameter-by-parameter to set everything other than the amp model across X and Y. Not a bit deal if it is a one-time thing, but not something very fun to do often.

Or worst case you could build different presets using the same amp and cab but changing the parameters you want to audition.

What I'm looking to do isn't so much get a sense of what individual parameters do -- although that is certainly very useful, I can do that by just tweaking it within a preset with or without changing the amp. Instead, I'm looking to sample different amp models with everything (or at least all parameters that are common to the previously selected amp and the one that is subsequently selected) being the same except the amp model itself.

With X/Y switching, you still have the problem of having to go parameter-by-parameter to set everything other than the amp model across X and Y. Not a bit deal if it is a one-time thing, but not something very fun to do often.
You're right, in AXE Edit open the amp block go to effects type window where amp model is displayed ,click, all the amp models should be displayed pick and choose any amp the parameters left behind will stay the same

You're right, in AXE Edit open the amp block go to effects type window where amp model is displayed ,click, all the amp models should be displayed pick and choose any amp the parameters left behind will stay the same

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, although a few parameters such input drive, bass, mid, and treble stay unchanged, most other parameters on the basic and various advanced pages change (unless they happen to already be set to where the selected amp would put them anyway, of course).

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, although a few parameters such input drive, bass, mid, and treble stay unchanged, most other parameters on the basic and various advanced pages change (unless they happen to already be set to where the selected amp would put them anyway, of course).
Yeah some of the advanced parameters relate directly to the amp model i think

What I'm looking to do isn't so much get a sense of what individual parameters do -- although that is certainly very useful, I can do that by just tweaking it within a preset with or without changing the amp. Instead, I'm looking to sample different amp models with everything (or at least all parameters that are common to the previously selected amp and the one that is subsequently selected) being the same except the amp model itself.

As far as I can tell the only viable way to do that in a preset by preset basis. Simply build 3 different presets using the Friedman models with the parameters you want and bank change to audition.

This is especially irritating when you've dialed in the Graphic EQ on an amp, then you switch models and it flattens out. I wish there was a check box in AX8 Edit that allowed you to "maintain all settings" so you would be able to compare amps directly.

Unfortunately you have to hit the store button.

Unfortunately you have to hit the store button.

He's talking about being able to maintain the same graphic eq curve you've dialed in on one amp across different amps that you change to, without it flattening out when you change to a different model.........

He's talking about being able to maintain the same graphic eq curve you've dialed in on one amp across different amps that you change to, without it flattening out when you change to a different model.........
Yep. I don't think you should have to rig up X/Y or different presets just to compare two different models. This could be useful on every other block, too, so you can easily hear the characteristic differences between different reverbs, distortions, choruses...

I would not want to compare different amp models while having changed advanced parameters. I would always keep to the basic page while comparing the amp models.

Especially with the graphic EQ, you could just add a post amp GEQ block

I would not want to compare different amp models while having changed advanced parameters. I would always keep to the basic page while comparing the amp models.

Especially with the graphic EQ, you could just add a post amp GEQ block

I would like to have the option to do so, but it sounds like this isn't a possibility. Not even all the parameters on the basics page stay constant. For example, presence, depth, master, input trim, etc. -- I think everything but input gain, bass, middle, and treble, but I won't swear to that -- change. As for EQ, a post GEQ block is a reasonable workaround, but as I understand it the EQ in the amp block sits between the preamp and the power amp by default (although I think you can move it to post power amp, although I don't have it in front of me to check). So, even in that case, it is a meaningful difference.

I understand the idea behind it defaulting to particular parameter values for a given amp, but there are times I've tweaked an amp almost to taste, but would like to try a similar model (which sometimes is the even the exact same amp but with an option toggled on the real amp when it was modeled) with otherwise identical settings. To do that, the best approach I have now (again, I'd be happier to hear about better ways to do it) is to (1) take a screenshot of each of 8 pages of the amp block or otherwise write down all the parameters and their values, (2) select the new amp model, (3) go page by page, parameter-by-parameter checking each against the screenshot, tweaking dozens of parameters in the process. Its not the end of the world, but it is tedious and time consuming. I think it would be very convenient to be able to change just the model itself.

Are there any utilities that allow you to edit presets at the parameter level before loading them up in Ax8-edit? If so, maybe I'll give that a shot; seems like I could use that to essentially just change the "Amp Model" parameter, leaving everything else the same, then load up the preset to get the preset exactly as it initially was but with a different amp model.

Sorry, but It really makes no sense changing an amp type while freezing all advanced params from the previous amp type.

Sorry, but It really makes no sense changing an amp type while freezing all advanced params from the previous amp type.
Take for example the Friedman BE V1 and V2. You dial in a great sound with V1 using advanced parameters, and you're curious as to how the V2 differs under those same settings. It's like you're actually switching that switch.

Take for example the Friedman BE V1 and V2. You dial in a great sound with V1 using advanced parameters, and you're curious as to how the V2 differs under those same settings. It's like you're actually switching that switch.

Aha, that I understand. :)

Reactions: Cem
Back
Top Bottom