Changes to HiPower in v10 - Suggestions?

kruzty

Inspired
The HiPower brilliant was my main amp for dirty tones. In Version 10, there is way less gain/sustain. It says in the release notes that this was one of the models that had a "complete overhaul," so expected a change. I've reset the model and added a lot more Drive and turned on the Boost, but it really isn't close to before. I changed the global Modeling Version to 9.xx just to see if that made a difference and there is some change, but nothing dramatic.

Is anyone else using this model that found some new settings to get it close to the previous version? Or, is there another model you found that is close to what the HiPower used to be?

The HiPower brilliant was my main amp for dirty tones. In Version 10, there is way less gain/sustain. It says in the release notes that this was one of the models that had a "complete overhaul," so expected a change. I've reset the model and added a lot more Drive and turned on the Boost, but it really isn't close to before. I changed the global Modeling Version to 9.xx just to see if that made a difference and there is some change, but nothing dramatic.

Is anyone else using this model that found some new settings to get it close to the previous version? Or, is there another model you found that is close to what the HiPower used to be?

Try increasing the input trim setting.

Hiwatts are actually very clean and very loud. You would need to put a boost at the input to get a real one to crunch up nicely.

My hiwatt patch (also my favorite) sounds great in v10, but I did have to adjust the gain/MV, and I do have a boost pedal at the input in the grid.

Try increasing the master volume instead, that may be what you are looking for. The Master volume now mimics the real amp, that was not the case before.

The Hiwatt amps are some of my faves among the SO many awesome amps available in the AXE II and now in FW 10. I noticed a difference as well with the new firmware. I went about dialing in the patch this way. I believe it was Smilefan who said awhile back that the Hiwatt was one of the cleanest in the AXE...now with FW 10 it probably is more like the real deal than ever. I normally use an FET boost in front of the amp. I increased the drive slightly on that (level is maxed). I increased the drive on the amp to ~7 but also engaged the SAT switch. The SAT did the trick for me. Very much digging the sound now.

You can increase the master volume, or you can also increase the NEW "Master Volume Trim" which is awesome tool (not the same as input trim). If you want to decrease gain, turn that MVTrim down, to increase, turn it up, if the overall Master Volume is not getting you there. I got that Hiwatt "Chime" back this way, the sound is still there. As Java says, MIMIC means that the controls not match the amp, so you have to use your ears and forget about what your eyes said "but this is the way it worked before FW10." You'll get there!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just turning up Master starts to lose some clarity (it's thicker, but less defined), which was the magic of this model - it had a clarity but still some nice crunch. I started to think a combination of Drive, Input Trim, and Saturation tweaks was getting me closer, but the distortion was too harsh and didn't clean up as well with the guitar's volume. So, what I did was make it cleaner and add an Eternal Love drive before the amp. It is pretty good, but still not quite the same.

In the end, I'll probably just look for a different amp model with similar qualities. There a plenty to choose from, so I'm sure there is one (or more) that can get in the ballpark.

Back
Top Bottom