Changed Similar Amps in Preset - Volume Much Lower At Same Level

Warrior

Power User
I changed the amp model in the amp block of one of my main presets from "Friedman HBE" to "Euro Blue Modern". The level on both is set to -12 dB but the output of the Euro was much, much lower.

Can't determine what is causing the difference.

I changed the amp model in the amp block of one of my main presets from "Friedman HBE" to "Euro Blue Modern". The level on both is set to -12 dB but the output of the Euro was much, much lower.

Can't determine what is causing the difference.
Every model is different...

Amps without a master volume in the real world default in the Axe at 10 if memory serves, So in a sense it's different.

When you switch amp models in a preset, the master volume doesn't maintain its position, unlike the tone and gain controls. It resets to it's default value. (Usually 4.0) So if you had the MV set at 6.5 on the HBE and then switch to the Euro, the MV drops to 4.

Also some amps have linear MV pots instead of Log, so if both are set to 5.0 the one with the linear MV will be much louder. Some manufacturers use the linear pots as a marketing move. ("Dude, this thing at 2 is as loud as that Marshall at 6! Get this one!)

That's the whole reason the amp block has a level control. So you can set the MV to where it sounds the best, then use level to balance the output. I recommend looking away from the unit while setting MV. Eyes are not effective at judging tone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom