Changed High output to Low output pickups - What will this effect on patches ?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Will gain and levels be drastically altered? Going from a Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat to a Suhr Thornbucker. Do not have Axe Fx III with me and wondering what to expect?

Haven't worked with those pickups, but just going off my own pickup swap experiences, that's definitely going to change how your presets respond, not only in terms of gain, but also eq and dynamics.

Yeah, it’s gunna wreak havoc on everything! (Lol, well laughing, but not really but kinda). Only cause that’s why ya switched p/u’s in the first place, something different right? But there’s s lot at play here on how much changes, I don’t know what the specs are on those specific pickups but if your going from a ceramic 17k to a Alnico 2 9.5k it’s gunna be a pretty big change & could & should effect tone, feel & gain/output.
So yeah, how much it changes depends on a lot of different factors.
One thing is, don’t get discouraged if you’re not digging it right out of the gate.. give yourself the time to learn the new pickup. Sometimes just a little pickup height adjustment can make all the difference after you’ve re-dialed everything in & learned the pickup a bit. They all have a sweet spot. I’ve swapped pickups a ton of times, not cause I don’t like them, but cause I’m curious by nature & if it was an easier quicker undertaking to do I’d do it even more often for sure. It’s a fascinating fundamental part of the electric guitar, how magnets & wire work together. Cool stuff.

Definitely going to have to change the input trim to match the amount of dirt you get. Might and probably will have to EQ the amp as well to get it to respond identically.

I will say the Thornbuckers are truly amazing. A plus in the bridge and regular in the neck. The neck is the first usable neck pickup I've owned, to where I want to use it. It is not muddy and sounds stellar!

I just got back from the studio. It didn't alter things to the point where I had to tweak fortunately. Couple patches I turned the bass down. Other than that it was GTG!

I prefer pickups with lower output. Generally gives me more dynamic range and better overall tone.
All of my regularly used guitars measure 8.5 and below. A3 are my fav magnets.
Input trim ; on these “magic boxes” , seems to be able to compensate quite well for either high or low output pups too.

It will be real havoc, as Perdikament has predicted. Better factory reset the Axe-FX III, wipe all the presets, format its core, recharge the flux capacitor, get a new hair style, and start from scratch. :)

Back
Top Bottom