Change your damn guitar strings...

Not gonna lie: I'm a reluctant string changer. Once a year, maybe? I don't mind the dulling sound and love how a well worn set feels. I'm pretty gentle and don't really have any issues with breakage.

I have a set on my JEM that are going on 2+ years and need to be changed but I f'ing hate changing strings on a locking, floating trem guitar so I just kind of grin and bear 'em at this point. :D

Same here. I'm lazy when it comes to strings and picks. I use them both way too long. Strings will be dead as hell and picks worn round. It isn't until I finally get around to changing them that I realize just how bad they were. Then it's like, damn everything is so bright!

I’m the opposite end of the spectrum. I play a set of strings for about 6-12 hours then they got to come off for a new set.
I know during rehearsal when I reach for the global output eq to make a tweak, it’s time to rip them dead ass strings off my axe!

Yea, I buy strings in the 10 pack.
3 months max, and I wipe them down after every use.
Just run your finger underneath the 4th string. Feel how much the string has worn from the frets!

...Just run your finger underneath the 4th string. Feel how much the string has worn from the frets!
That's how I gauge it as well. When I can feel worn spots from the frets on the underneath side of the D string, I know it's time to change them out.

Back when I was gigging four hours/night and six nights/week and only using one guitar, I would change strings every other night. These days (well, pre-COVID) I use five guitars at each gig and only play one to three gigs a month, so my strings last anywhere from a few months to a couple of years, depending on the guitar. I usually don't play my gig guitars when I practice at home or rehearse with the band.

Solution: tonematch a set of fresh strings, set the amount to 0% and increase it gradually as the strings get older. Never worry again about replacing strings until they break or the rust hurts your fingers! The Axe-FX is the solution to everything, even string aging :D

Last edited:
Been an Elixir user for life with my guitars - mostly due to living in hot, humid environments with inadequate a/c or dehumidifier systems...and now with a few more guitars it really makes a difference.

If you can find a coated string you like, you should be able to get many more months out of your strings. Or, if there are guitars you don't play as much, put the coated strings on them so when you do want to play that reverse 12 string offset in puke green you are ready to rock.

I keep a log of my string changes and every time I check it feel ashamed of how lazy I am. Actually I often consider to shrink my guitar collection to a number I can properly keep on optimal shape. Thanks Crom these thoughts don’t normally last for too long.

I keep a log of my string changes and every time I check it feel ashamed of how lazy I am. Actually I often consider to shrink my guitar collection to a number I can properly keep on optimal shape. Thanks Crom these thoughts don’t normally last for too long.
Same!

I'll change my strings sets when too many of them start to break. Until then if it ain't broken, I don't fix. I think I have guitars with strings on them that are 10 years old? In my defense, I have like 19 guitars currently, some of them don't see my hands for months.

I use Kyser KDS100, Dunlop Ultraglide 65 or both (first Kyser then Dunlop) after every session. That helps extending their freshness and prevent rustiness. I've tried them at my hair and at the knob but they don't work, though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom