Change two blocks at once without scene?

OK- well the stereo cab idea isnt working for me unfortunately. The problem is that Im getting some FX crossover. My cab block has to be the last in chain (as I take a direct fed as wall as a FRFR one). So post amp but p[re cab stereo blocks like reverb, you get the 100% wet signal to both sides of the cab input

If I was purely FRFR and could put the cab block immediately after the amp then is would work no problem.
As I was reading the thread, I was going to suggest the stereo cab thing as a way to have 2 cab options. I used a Mixer block after the cab to double the signal onto the other side. I’m not sure I understand your setup or if that won’t work for you. What effect(s) are you needing to be stereo and where are those in your chain?

The best idea I came up with was to create a way for the MIDI function of the control switches to be set to execute commands internally on the AF3, although that combined AMP1+CAB1 idea mentioned earlier would be a more elegant solution to the primary need.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...utes-internally-within-the-axe-fx-iii.152891/

In the meantime, I realized I was actually happier with just using one IR for everything live. It gives the right kind of cohesion to my tones as I switch amp models: it sounds and feels the same in the ways that it should, while keeping it from sounding different in ways it shouldn’t.

Last edited:
Im considering the same - ie using 1 IR. I tend to use 3 at present. 1x12 for cleans sounds, 2x12 for crunchy and 4x12 for all the rest - however I do really like the 2x12 mix Im using which is very similar to my real cab.

No surprise actually as my cab is a zilla loaded with one V30 and one Creamback - and Im using a zilla V30 ir and a zilla creamback ir and mixing them.....

The amp plus cab switch would be elegant...but Im finding I want drive to to switch channels with my amp channel as well lol.......so actually to have the options for blocks to be included in, or ignore scenes would be the best option. amp, cab and drive would be included in a scene, all the other FX wouldnt.

Admittedly I haven’t read the whole thread yet, but I had a thought that could be an elegant method. If/then statements could be a way that could be integrated into channel and block states that would allow for changing of two or more blocks at once with one switch. Like saying “If Amp 1 changes to channel B then Cab 1 changes to channel B” or “If Drive 1 in activated, then Vol 1 is activated” to kind of have the ability to tie blocks together. I’ve thought about posting this in the wishlist section, but not sure if it would work, but just a thought I had, and yes I know there are current solutions that can work to achieve these goals!

Admittedly I haven’t read the whole thread yet, but I had a thought that could be an elegant method. If/then statements could be a way that could be integrated into channel and block states that would allow for changing of two or more blocks at once with one switch. Like saying “If Amp 1 changes to channel B then Cab 1 changes to channel B” or “If Drive 1 in activated, then Vol 1 is activated” to kind of have the ability to tie blocks together. I’ve thought about posting this in the wishlist section, but not sure if it would work, but just a thought I had, and yes I know there are current solutions that can work to achieve these goals!
The Gordius pedals and (I think) RJM pedals support "macros" to allow for things like this. It can be really cool.

Here's the issue:

The REAL underlying workflow limitation is forcing the amp channel and cabinet blocks to act just like the rest of the grid. In the "real world" of amps, the amp and cabinet have a separate switcher from the rest of the FX system. When you select a different amp channel, the FX don't change, and vice versa. This isn't "special" or "specific" - it's the way every single regular tube amp user operates. ALL of them.

The point about multiple steps per press is really a work-around for the lack of ability to separate the Amp/Cabinet blocks from the rest of the FX.
Scenes are useful in a lot of situations, but are not a be-all, end-all solution, and being able to tell a block to ignore scene changes or to match channel with another block, then this capability would be realized, and you could tell the cab to follow the amp, and the compressor to follow the amp, while the other effects could still be attached to the scene. This would effectively give each of the 8 scenes 4 'sub-scenes'. Not sure how difficult the code changes would be, but it would solve the problem at hand in the least specific way, while allowing it to be applied to other similar situations and not just specifically amp/cab....

I use a single cab with my three main Amp types (Deluxe Reverb and Euro Blue and Red).

Just like when I used a real Ecstasy.
That's fine, if that is what you need, but others may prefer to use different cabs with different amps....

Hey, checking in in 2024, Is there a possibility to switch channels of 2 amps with one control push on the FC-12?
Without using scenes

Unless I missed something, Control Switches aren't able to control Channels. Would love to be wrong on this one. The only way I currently know to select/toggle channels outside of scenes is in the Effect Category in the FC switch but is limited to one block.

Hey, checking in in 2024, Is there a possibility to switch channels of 2 amps with one control push on the FC-12?
Without using scenes
Are you wanting to switch to different amps or different settings of the same amp model(s)?

Let me flip this idea, Is there a way to switch scenes but exclude an effect?
So for example - you switch from scene A to B but define that Delay 1 block is excluded, meaning that it keeps the state it was before the scene switch (if it was on, it stays on and vice versa)

Unless I missed something, Control Switches aren't able to control Channels. Would love to be wrong on this one. The only way I currently know to select/toggle channels outside of scenes is in the Effect Category in the FC switch but is limited to one block.

Are you wanting to switch to different amps or different settings of the same amp model(s)?
I want to switch 2 amps (stereo setup) from channel A (clean) to channel B (dirty) with one control push.

Let me flip this idea, Is there a way to switch scenes but exclude an effect?
So for example - you switch from scene A to B but define that Delay 1 block is excluded, meaning that it keeps the state it was before the scene switch (if it was on, it stays on and vice versa)
Look into Scene Ignore, might get you what you want.

Aha , I overlooked the word "channels".

Yes they can......as long as you set the same cc# where I referenced, as the cc# you set in CS Midi in Axe Edit......I do it all the time. View attachment 133570
That is using CS midi and a loopback midi cable.

Not the same thing a "a Control Switch".

So I'll stick with my original comment: Control Switches can not change channels.

But, yes, a Control Switch can send a midi payload such as a CC out of the midi out which can be looped back to the midi in with a midi cable. And that can change channels... Or whatever else you can control via midi.

Nowadays, scenes are the best way, and you can use Scene Ignore for any effects or stuff that you want to be independent. Scenes are also nice because you can set drive pedals with a different channel for each amp.

Back
Top Bottom