Change a preset depending on pickup

Dom1

Hi just wondering what people change or tweak in a preset. If I have or download a preset made with a strat in mind, and I decide I want to use a tele. Where is the best place to start to suit the different guitar.
TIA

It could be anything, honestly. Just remember you’re changing guitars to hear the differences, so maybe you don’t need to change anything?

To Chris' point, I have 2 banks of presets I use. One bank is for single coil guitars and the second bank is for humbuckers. I use the same presets in both banks but each bank is tweaked and voiced to suit the pickups. I name the presets with an S at the end for single coil preset and an H at the end for humbuckers so I can keep them straight when I am working in AX8 Edit. There is not a huge difference between the 2 banks. I place them in the same order so when I step on a footswitch there are no surprises.

Even with that, there are some differences between the way my guitars sound. For example, I have a signature model made by WG Bristol Custom Guitars (Disclaimer: I am an endorser for WG Bristol Guitars). My sig is loaded with Lollar single coils. That guitar sounds way different than my Suhr Classic loaded with Suhr ML single coil pickups. Personally, I am glad that the guitars sound different. I greatly enjoy the differences.

Either you start with same amp settings, an EQ in front and adapt the guitar, or you look for other amps and settings. Imho the best place to start is a DAW with a spectrum analyzer, to understand how your guitars and pickups are different.

I save my presets like @Geezerjohn .....I put Strat , tele , or LP in the name , and save it.

Your question , - depends on what you want. People don't generally want different guitar types to sound the same. My Les Paul - I want to sound like a Les Paul. My tele and strat I want to sound like what they are.
Now , if I want my strat to sound like my Les Paul does thru a Marshall amp , I can go about it in a couple ways.
- I could increase the input trim to get more drive from my strat pickups , or use a drive pedal before the amp to do some tone shaping and added distortion , or
I will use a recto amp and drive pedal combination instead of the Marshall.
I prefer to use the strat / recto combination and the Les Paul / Marshall combination to achieve the sounds I like.
Best answer , - experiment. You'll get it.

I create my presets with as much of a middle ground as possible between all my guitars...I want it to sound different with each one. yes it may be too much of this or that with one or another but I enjoy the differences in each guitar.

Back
Top Bottom