Challenging Bogner tone by G3 guitarist in Japanese band

In a studio setting, sure, he used Bogner 2x12 cab, shure 57 and 421 mic. But now, keep in mind that those mics are going through something. Whether they're going through Neve preamps, or API, or the SSL board, all of that adds color JUST running through it. Now, the engineer will sit there and EQ/Compress/Saturate the tone from the board or preamp. So at this point, you're not just listening to the Bogner amp/cab/mics. Now add to that, that that's probably how they RECORDED, but once it's send out to mix, the guitar goes through even more processing. More EQ, more compressor, more saturation... Engineers even re-amp and already amped signal just to get a desired effect.

All this to say, that whenever your guitar tone doesnt sound like a reference track, and you feel you're using the same amp and cab, there's usually more to it.

Dial the rig as best you can, then ask yourself, what's different from his tone and yours?

The body is different? Adjust 100hz-200hz
Is it boxy or hollow? Adjust 300hz-600hz.
The "punch" is different? Adjust around 1K
The bite is different? Adjust 3K-6K.
The "hair" is different? Adjust the 8K-12K.

If you can find words to describe in your mind what the tone is lacking, try to match that to a frequency.
Understood.
When I do recording, I try not to do any post processing without low cut, and I try to finalize the sound character creation only by AXE FX III recently.
Isn’t that approach recommended?
Can you please share your thoughts on this?

For EQ tips, thanks a lot for sharing.
Your comment is focusing on guitar differences then I guess these EQ should put just after input block.

Both, jamming and recording.
I usually do my mix then I know low cut for guitar is a must post processing.
However, if I do too much, the guitar sound is too thin.
For the song of the link, I understand the low cut happened, but according to his palm mute sound, maybe many amounts.

Do you use different presets for jamming and recording?

Not as much these days. After a year of refining and tweaking, most of my presets work for jamming alone and recording. No clue how they’d sound in a full band environment cranked up, because that’s a whole different can of worms.

The main difference is that I noodle around with delay and reverb on all the time, but when I track, it’s bone dry.

Understood.
When I do recording, I try not to do any post processing without low cut, and I try to finalize the sound character creation only by AXE FX III recently.
Isn’t that approach recommended?
Can you please share your thoughts on this?

For EQ tips, thanks a lot for sharing.
Your comment is focusing on guitar differences then I guess these EQ should put just after input block.
I actually have a weird approach. I have my Axe FX pretty flat EQ wise, and then I use a post EQ... or a Preamp channel EQ. I find those are better for overall tone shaping than the amp block EQ.

Back
Top Bottom