AFIII Challenge Tone : Dry Triaxis

Hitoshi Kato

Inspired
Hello,

This is a bit old song (20years ago) but the lead guitarist used Triaxis + VHT poweramp to populate this guitar sound.

He also said he used 57 and 421 mics and mesa cabinet.

I know Axe Fx triaxis has different poweramp model but can someone please advise me how we can achieve this sound with Axe Fx?

I spent many time but Axe Fx Triaxis has very thick mid even if I set up EQ very V shape.

Also I strongly believe low pass filter (maybe 10000hz?) was used but that’s not the point here.
The less wet sound than normal mesa in this video is the point.

I appreciate your help.

try this. it's in the ballpark.
You are an awesome teacher for me now.
I assumed EQ should be the extreme V but 750 should be -3ish.
The more I decrease 750, the more thick in mid.
I learn from you a lot, thank you very much.
Also I tweaked a bit for your preset and now I got my favorite type sound from triaxis model.

Attachments

• Get a Life mod.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 14
Hi simeon,

I used to be a triaxis user but Axe doesn't have dynamic voice then too free to achieve some specific tone.
Your preset was good enough but still siam shade sounds much more dryer to me as well as initial dream theater tone (e.g. under glass moon).
https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm12685444
This song is also recorded by triaxis according to the guitarist of siam shade.
Bright and bite, and very dry as if mod-marshall.
Do you have any idea to achieve this kind of dry tone by triaxis mode in Axe FX?

Thanks,
Hitoshi Kato

i don't think i understand what you mean by "dry". to me, that means no fx.

if you want more bite, raise the preamp presence control, or raise the 6600 eq slider a bit

maybe try the same settings, but use the LD2 red instead of yellow. that channel has a much brighter top

i don't think i understand what you mean by "dry". to me, that means no fx.

if you want more bite, raise the preamp presence control, or raise the 6600 eq slider a bit

maybe try the same settings, but use the LD2 red instead of yellow. that channel has a much brighter top
Sorry I am not accurately using the word.
I used ‘dry’ as less mid, and bite sound like plexi.
And yes you are so true, presence control or LD2.
Actually I just tried both, raised some presence and also 6600, then sounds more similar to plexi.

Anyway thanks a lot for your guide.

I think perhaps "dry" in this case might be similar to "tight". Hopefully that helps this tone quest!
I try to tweak a bit for less bass.
Maybe less 80 or 240 in Amp EQ.
I know this is not possible in real triaxis dynamic voice control, but I’ll try.

If you want a "tighter" sounds try increase the input eq low cut control between 200 and 300hz.
That makes sense to me since the guitarist of the video often uses boosters before the amp.
Usually boosters make the sound tighter by low cut circuits.
The guitar character in the video sounds darker then I assumed not much low cut but I should try now.
Thanks a lot for the personal 5 minutes tone!!!

That makes sense to me since the guitarist of the video often uses boosters before the amp.
Usually boosters make the sound tighter by low cut circuits.
The guitar character in the video sounds darker then I assumed not much low cut but I should try now.
Thanks a lot for the personal 5 minutes tone!!!
Try turning on the Presence shift in the power amp section of the editor. Makes a big difference.

If you want a "tighter" sounds try increase the input eq low cut control between 200 and 300hz.
I increased the input eq low cut and added 80 slider a bit.
The result is completely different from just dialing down bass and 80 slider without input low cut.
This is interesting.

Guys, have you ever tried to replicate ‘Beyond this life’ tone by John Petrucci?

I remember he used Triaxis at the era.
The intro guitar sound is very bite and tight, and for me sounds less mid like plexi.

there are videos on youtube of petrucci's triaxis rig where you can see almost all of his settings. they dynamic voice settings can be approximated if you look at the triaxis manual, you can see the eq settings for 4 of the dynamic voice settings.

i made a couple of nice presets based on what i saw here

there are videos on youtube of petrucci's triaxis rig where you can see almost all of his settings. they dynamic voice settings can be approximated if you look at the triaxis manual, you can see the eq settings for 4 of the dynamic voice settings.

i made a couple of nice presets based on what i saw here

Thanks a lot for sharing the video.
This is very useful one and I didn’t notice this video existed.
Personally I don’t love his tone after 2007, 2008 since very loose and fat.
But do you think scenes from memory tone is achievable only by triaxis and cb block in Axe FX?
Anyway I need to spend some time to tweak.
I’ll be busy!

Back
Top Bottom