Challenge to Axe-FX Users: Claims L6 POD HD is On Par!

The truth is that I do not think AxeFX can replicate a PodHD. I cannot think of any parameter in the AxeFX to make it sound as a PodHD. (I actually tested them side by side)
So if you like the sound of a Pod, use a Pod, if you like how AxeFX sounds, use an AxeFX. I feel some kind of frustration here, I never heard of anybody banging his chest that he/she can replicate any Pod, Kemper tone with his AxeFX...
I driver an Audi A4. I am aware it is not near the latest Porsche Carrera in performance. I bought A4 because it is the closest to what I want/need, not because I cannot afford the Carrera. How stupid would be to challenge anyone that I can stick the same amount of luggage in my A4 than they can in their Carrera or I can stand still at red light exactly like a Carrera can...
Pfffff, people, grow up! Use whatever pleases you and be happy with it! Life is too short!

All that needs to be done is a track on the edge of break up (some dynamics), there is no way the pod is getting anywhere near the analog feel of a real amp in this respect

However these kind of games are pointless, and would go back and forwards for years, its hard to argue with stupid

Someone post a really messy overloaded tone using the "bit driver" pedal. See if he could replicate that. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The claim is that the pod hd is just as capable.. Not that is can print similiar tones. Ive owned pod hd. Ane liked it a lot. Still no comparison to the axe2

Just like a BMW M5 is probably offers faster speeds and a smoother ride than my Honda Fit, so the AxeFX II offers better effects and more realistic amp sims than the HD500. Two different products for two different markets. I don't see why someone who bought a Line6 HD needs to feel justified in their purchase. It's like the people who buy knockoff, no-name tablets and proclaim they're just as good or better than the latest iPad. If that feeds your ego, fine, I suppose.

Copying a printed tone isn't that difficult for someone who knows what they're doing with a device. To me though, sample tracks can only tell part of the story for any amp or modeler. The key, which is very hard to discern from simply listening a track, is how it feels dynamically as you're playing.

Again, as others have said - its not about what it sounds like par-se, its the feel- how it reacts to playing. Thats the biggest difference between the top tier modellers/profilers and the lower grade stuff (which the L6 is). Also the mp3 quality sample makes it easier again. Full WAV file tracks would be a better test - but still, producing a copy of a recorded tone is much easier than recreating the feel of playing through the devices - this is the crux.

I have both Axe FX and Line 6...why would you like challenge in the first place...you should know what is good for you. I have use the products for different live performances and served me well...if you suck on tweaking the product ...no difference if you axe fx or line 6....

Really, the only time comparisons/shootouts like this are beneficial is if you're comparing similar products to help decide which one fits your needs best. A Pod / Boss GT100 comparison comes to mind. Similar products, features, price-points. The Axe is not in the same league as a Pod, nor was it meant to be. The various iterations of the Pod served me well for many years & is capable of creating some pretty good tones, but it's not & was not meant to be "competition" for the Axe.

Maybe people will just think I'm a better guitar player, more of a winner in life, et al., because they see me with an Axe on stage. Its cool looking, expensive, and used by some top artist in the industry. Must make me cooler by association.

I don't think that it true of course, but certainly would go a ways toward explaining some of the "hating" on the Axe/Axe owners by those who don't have one. Envy, jealousy, resentment, self doubt, whatever you want to to call it, it happens.

Same thing happens when someone pulls up next to some people at a stoplight in a Vette or other expensive sports car. We automatically think the driver is a real douche. Why ? He could be the nicest guy in the world, but because he's driving a nicer car than ours, we often will think negatively about him.

If someone pulls up next to us in a Honda Accord do we think the same things ? No

There is some odd human nature where some people feel the need try to tear down anything superior to what they have. Defense mechanism or what, I don't know, but it certainly is something I think we all do, at least to some degree.

I see a fat middle aged dude with a 21 year old supermodel on his arm and I think "he must be rich". Why don't I think "he must be an amazing husband and father".

To a lot of guitar players seeing a guy on stage with an Axe is akin to seeing someone drive a Vette or dating a model. Its something they dream of having, perhaps never will, and it causes silly resentment, and threads like this.

On the plus side, many of us will never date a model or drive a $100K sports car, but if we save our pennies, sell of some pedals and amps etc, I think most people can realistically obtain an Axe Fx guitar processor. Certainly isn't the key to happiness in life, but it does help LOL

I played an hd500 for years. It was my convenient "take with me for overseas work" rig. I'm VERY familiar with its capabilities and lack thereof. I got a handful of useful sounds that took a lot of work and 3rd party cab sim plugins to get... these two products are barely on the same planet, and I think we all know that by now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'd be interested to see how the Helix does. I know it won't be all the way there for sure, but it looks like they are at least trying to step up their game. I saw a video where they said the cabs were running off of 40ms IRs. No where near ultrares, but not bad.

I don't get all the hate. Why not just post a "edge of breakup" tone to replicate just for shits and giggles? Takes barely 10 minutes to do. The real effort is clearly on the challenger here. ;)
Heck I'd do it if I weren't so ashamed of my sloppy playing...

Tbh, I'd definitely find the results interesting... I never owned a Pod HD so I don't really know how far the Axe is really ahead.

At the worst possible scenario, nobody loses anything... except maybe for the challenger who could make a complete fool of himself. Like the guy that sended an EZ drummer recording to Glenn saying it sounds similar to bonham...

Check out the video... it's hilarious. :D

Last edited:
I had an AFII...sold it all and got a POD HD500X. THEY'RE VERY DIFFERENT. For me, it's much more difficult to get what I want out of the POD. It doesn't feel as nice...not horrible, but definitely not Axe. Some days I regret selling it, some days I don't. For what I'm using it for, the POD works great. Birthday is in October, so hopefully an AX8 is gonna come my way...prolly have to sell some stuff but that's fine too. I'm hoping Cliff is able to price it good enough to make L6 wipe that $#!T eating grin off of some of their faces.

Selling a an AxeFx for a pod is like running away from the circus to join the orphanage, however i'm sure you had a compelling reason at the time

For me here is the glaring difference in product lines, even if the Pod/XD/Helix whatever sounded just like the Axe FX does (which it never did to me so far). I roamed the Line 6 forums for years so I know how they do things over there. If you wanted to discuss with "the" person involved in the actual digital inter workings of the unit, future add-ons and sound FX options and overall tone of the box, good luck. A Line 6 "Expert" is all you got over there near 99% of the time. And they always tell ya that they don't know even if they did know... Here its different in a very good way, every day. So I say let Pod users be Pod users and believe what they want to, and I'll stay here and be happy about that too. Heck I might even pick up a Helix... Who knows... But I won't ever forget who's got the best support for me.... :pride:

Selling a an AxeFx for a pod is like running away from the circus to join the orphanage, however i'm sure you had a compelling reason at the time

Too funny. 2 kids in Jr High and a wife working on her PhD. I'll get back in the game soon enough. This was merely a gear shift for a short while. If Cliff will send me an October birthday present, I'll be good to go and back in the game.

Back
Top Bottom