Challenge: make a bass preset sound awesome pitched down to E0 (-1 octave)

If you just play single notes try the ring modulator with this settings instead of the pitch block:
Frequency multiplier: 0.500
Tracking: On (Frequency doesn't matter with the tracking switch on)
Hi cut: to taste
Mix: 50%

If you just play single notes try the ring modulator with this settings instead of the pitch block:
Frequency multiplier: 0.500
Tracking: On (Frequency doesn't matter with the tracking switch on)
Hi cut: to taste
Mix: 50%
thanks for the tip, but it sounds like shit :D haha I'll try to record an example with my preset. did you try me preset?

thanks for the tip, but it sounds like shit :D haha I'll try to record an example with my preset. did you try me preset?
Well, I said "try" after all :D
I suggested that because i get a pretty convincing bass sound with my guitar with those settings, better than using the pitch block.. but it seems it doesn't work well for your needs.
I don't have a bass at home so I can't try your preset at the moment

Well, I said "try" after all :D
I suggested that because i get a pretty convincing bass sound with my guitar with those settings, better than using the pitch block.. but it seems it doesn't work well for your needs.
I don't have a bass at home so I can't try your preset at the moment
ah, I see. thanks for being cool about it sounding like shit! hahaha, I'm kidding, see I'm using a bass guitar, I tried with my 8-string guitar tuned to drop-E too but I think the bass guitar sounds better. maybe the ring thing works better for guitars trying to sound like a E0 tuned bass though, but I think that only gets you in the drop-e 8-string octave, the E0 is an octave below that one :)

ah, I see. thanks for being cool about it sounding like shit! hahaha, I'm kidding, see I'm using a bass guitar, I tried with my 8-string guitar tuned to drop-E too but I think the bass guitar sounds better. maybe the ring thing works better for guitars trying to sound like a E0 tuned bass though, but I think that only gets you in the drop-e 8-string octave, the E0 is an octave below that one :)
If you use it with a guitar it goes from E2 to E1, if you use it with a 4-string bass it goes from E1 to E0.. probably it doesn't work well in your situation because the ring mod is basically a fast tremolo but at those low frequencies probably you're beginning to distinctly hear the voids in the signal and that makes it sound like (a stuttered) shit :)

If you use it with a guitar it goes from E2 to E1, if you use it with a 4-string bass it goes from E1 to E0.. probably it doesn't work well in your situation because the ring mod is basically a fast tremolo but at those low frequencies probably you're beginning to distinctly hear the voids in the signal and that makes it sound like (a stuttered) shit :)
bingo :D

The main issue will be no tracking ability below G1. You could try pitch block w/ tracking off but may get better results with a -17 shift and playing the A string to get E0.

Yeah, try a bigger shift and then play higher.

A two octave shift and playing an octave higher than previously is possibly your best bet.

Not only that, if your speakers go that low (a sub needed basically), don't you need a control room with a floated concrete floor on sand (or something) to really hear it at accurate volume levels ?

I was also under the impression once you got past F# (24hz iirc???), the human ear more or less couldn't pick out the fundamental freq? Do you REALLY need to tune that low? As am aside I think some bands will actually leave the bass in regular standard when the guitars are that low to retain some form of intelligible low end, give that a shot?

The main issue will be no tracking ability below G1. You could try pitch block w/ tracking off but may get better results with a -17 shift and playing the A string to get E0.
that's a good idea. I have to try that. what did you guys think about the track though? it does not sound too bad? I mean like for a standard tuned 4-string bass right? :D

I was also under the impression once you got past F# (24hz iirc???), the human ear more or less couldn't pick out the fundamental freq? Do you REALLY need to tune that low? As am aside I think some bands will actually leave the bass in regular standard when the guitars are that low to retain some form of intelligible low end, give that a shot?
yeah I need to tune that low :p again, you don't hear the earthquake - you feel it :D

ain't that infra-sound?

the other issue is that real low stuff generates a lot of energy..
to prevent clipping you may end up with a pretty quite preset

I don't see any soundclips, I guess nobody is up (down?) for the challenge then. wait, what's that? I think.. I think it's the sound of a chicken! lol :D

I've had these conversations with bass players as well. This is not a bass player joke by any means but sometimes it's hard for people to understand the difference between "making sound" and "sounding good".

The job of a bass guitar is not to be the lowest dynamic frequency (with dynamic frequency I mean things that are felt and not necessarily heard) in the mix. That's actually the job of the kick drum that will usually be around 60-80hz. Even the B-string (30hz) on a bass is so low that it simply doesn't sound as good to me as a higher note would. This is the main reason I'm thinking about selling my 5-string and getting a 4-string bass. Sure there are bands that use lower tunings but can you really hear the bass in a mix? That's the question I have. When ever bass players use their E-string is when I feel happy and even that frequency is quite low around 40hz.

This is completely my own opinion but I think tuning your bass low (which seems to be a fashion these days) results to using distorted bass so it adds harmonics for the bass to be heard. It kind of fights against the traditional purpose for a bass guitar. Since guitar tracks are usually filled with harmonics it's nice to have that bottom note from a bass guitar. I do like these new genres where the bass is tuned super low but sometimes it almost feels like there's no bass guitar but it's just another guitar track panned to the middle.

It's not a race of who can go the lowest. Just like playing guitar is not a race of who can play the fastest... unless you're an Yngwie fan. ;) I love your videos/clips etc. so keep it up. Who knows.. maybe you'll end up with something new. :)

Back
Top Bottom