CFR 12 price justification

jgparker59

Inspired
I really want to buy one, or actually two, but I need to justify spending $829 for one 12" speaker (no amp) howbeit; coaxial, versus buying a 4x12 Marshall cabinet which has (4) 12's and stereo/mono for the same price. Or buying a QSC powered 12" monitor for around the same price. I already have a Matrix GFX 1000 and love it. SO, please someone give me some convincing arguments for buying the CFR 12(passive). No flaming here, I just maybe need a little push to stepping up to the plate:)

If you were across the pond you would be saving on VAT and the difference in the currency. You have other options powered and passive for the same or less money.

If you were across the pond you would be saving on VAT and the difference in the currency. You have other options powered and passive for the same or less money.

Actually unless you are a business and able to claim VAT back on purchases for the business it runs at about 20% added to the price. Most retail here is quoted inclusive of this funky tax. Most business to business quote ex VAT.

Supersonic got it right!

Everyone has different needs, but still wants great sound.
A 4x12 can sound great, but weighs 5 times what the CFR 12 weighs.
A 4x12 has one sound, the CFR 12 can emulate many different cab sounds.

I personally own a GT-1000FX and two CFR 12's and I love them.
I compared the CFR 12 to the Xitone Passive Wedge, and for my ears, my gear and my style of music, the CFR 12 is the better choice.
If you're like me, and have spent a ton of $ on getting the right guitars and the right front end, the last thing you want to do is try to save a fews bucks on the monitors and cab.
It's the only thing I get to hear on stage, so it's my most important piece of gear in the chain.
I can't control the FOH, but if my guitars don't sound great to me on stage, I'm back to square one.
All the money I spent on the other gear wasn't worth it.

I recommend you try one out for yourself and compare it to the other candidates.
Nobody but you will know if it's the sound your are looking for, or worth the extra money.
As for me, I followed my own advice, am happy and it was well worth the price.

Last edited:
The real eye, or ear opener for me, was when I compared the CFR 12 to my Mini Recto and both of my Mesa Boogie 2x12 vertical cabs. (One has V30's, the other Celestion Gold's)
Although they don't sound exactly the same, they sound so close that I'm convinced this is the way to go.
On some sounds I think the CFR 12's sound better. Can you believe that? I wouldn't have, unless I heard it for myself.

Interestingly, the CFR 12 exposes how each Mesa cab and speaker really sound.
What I mean is that the V30 has a certain naisly sound that I don't hear right away, until I switch back and forth between the Mesa cab and the CFR 12.
It's not right or wrong, it's just how a guitar speaker sounds versus a full range speaker. I don't dislike the V30 or the Gold, but they each have a certain coloration which makes them sound the way they do. I think of it as their unique character.

I use a Lehle Little Dual and run my guitar in and out to the Mini Recto and the Axe FX or Kemper.
It's a great way to know for sure that you are getting the sound you want, at the volume you want.
I mention volume because bedroom volume sound is very different than stage monitor volume sound, for both the CFR 12 and Mesa rig.

Hope you get the chance to compare, hear for yourself and decide.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom