Ceramic Coating Vehicle

Hi Craig,
You can compromise and spend $50 on a bottle of ‘ceramic coating’ and do it yourself.
I recently did it to a new vehicle I purchased and have no idea if it’s helped ;-)

Thanks
Pauly

I’m a “part time” detailer and have ceramic coated all 3 of my personal vehicles. The coating itself isn’t the hardest part, it’s all the prep and polishing that you have to get right. The actual coating process application is fairly straightforward, just have to make sure the wipe off is clean and no high spots left behind.

I really enjoy detailing but it takes the right tools, chemicals, process and some experience to do a pro job. If you are willing to invest and learn go for it, if not hire a pro.

I guess it would depend on the vehicle. If I had just bought a Lamborghini Huracan, then sure. I can't imagine it would be worth it for most vehicles, in that you'd never get that money back. Plenty of cars still have great paint at 10 years, 200k miles. If you lived in a really harsh environment, I'd probably worry about the underside more than the paint. That's just me though.

There was a guy in my local Jeep club that had bought some super limited edition Wrangler. He spent over $5k to have the Jeep coated. Yes, it was shiny. Said that would protect from scratches better, blah blah. It apparently also requires him to pay for "maintenance" every so often, or any warranty from the coating company is void. All I'm thinking is, it's a Jeep. I've got trail rash all over mine, and ceramic coating is most definitely not going to protect against more than brushing against something. I could think of many better ways to spend $5k+, but I don't have money falling out of my ass like some people.

I guess it would depend on the vehicle. If I had just bought a Lamborghini Huracan, then sure. I can't imagine it would be worth it for most vehicles, in that you'd never get that money back. Plenty of cars still have great paint at 10 years, 200k miles. If you lived in a really harsh environment, I'd probably worry about the underside more than the paint. That's just me though.

There was a guy in my local Jeep club that had bought some super limited edition Wrangler. He spent over $5k to have the Jeep coated. Yes, it was shiny. Said that would protect from scratches better, blah blah. It apparently also requires him to pay for "maintenance" every so often, or any warranty from the coating company is void. All I'm thinking is, it's a Jeep. I've got trail rash all over mine, and ceramic coating is most definitely not going to protect against more than brushing against something. I could think of many better ways to spend $5k+, but I don't have money falling out of my ass like some people.

This is the exact BS and detailing snake oil I was referring to. :) $5k for a coating is stupid unless you are talking $100k+ vehicles. The no warranty without the maintenance is a bunch of crap too. Yes you DO need to maintain a coating, but not what these companies are selling you.

If you are particular about your vehicle and enjoy the detailing process a coating can be a great option. If you think you just coat the car and it magically protects forever with no maintenance and you run it through the tunnel wash all the time, DO NOT get your car coated.

https://liquidglassshield.com I think this is the continuation of a tech from at least a decade ago that deployed silicon at nanoscale to create a wearable surface that helped temporarily protect surfaces: easier to disinfect meat processing stations, paint protection, etc. Always wanted to a/b it but never bought any. I'm sure it's in a number of products now.

This is the exact BS and detailing snake oil I was referring to. :) $5k for a coating is stupid unless you are talking $100k+ vehicles. The no warranty without the maintenance is a bunch of crap too. Yes you DO need to maintain a coating, but not what these companies are selling you.

If you are particular about your vehicle and enjoy the detailing process a coating can be a great option. If you think you just coat the car and it magically protects forever with no maintenance and you run it through the tunnel wash all the time, DO NOT get your car coated.
No, the coat I am considering is 1900 and my vehicle does not get touched with automatic car washes LOL

It's not a show car, but, I enjoy taking care of my stuff properly. Since it's a 2021, 3 months old and just turned 1000 miles, I figure let the pampering begin?

Definitely not wanting snake oil coating on my ride !!!!!!!!! The product I'm looking at is "Ceramic Pro".,,,,,

If you're going to spend that kind of money, go for something that will give you way more protection like a paint protection film or clear bra.

Have one. Can't get the car in it. 😐
New place has a big carport and no garage. Three weeks to go....
Bummer. I just spent a lot of time making room in the garage. “Wood is gold” my grandfather used to say. He also kept all the parts and screws you get when you take something apart. I took over that habit. Now I cleaned it all up and threw it away (as much to recycling as I could). Then I had room. The week after my wife bought a fiat 500 from ‘72 or so. Really tiny, but of course it had to go in the garage...

Bummer. I just spent a lot of time making room in the garage. “Wood is gold” my grandfather used to say. He also kept all the parts and screws you get when you take something apart. I took over that habit. Now I cleaned it all up and threw it away (as much to recycling as I could). Then I had room. The week after my wife bought a fiat 500 from ‘72 or so. Really tiny, but of course it had to go in the garage...
Yeah. Me too on the fasteners. I have several jars of them.

Been here 3.5 years, never got the garage in a useable shape. It became a storage unit for the OL's cast-off furniture.

With the real estate market shooting up here due to influx from California and work-from-home negating the benefit of being close to the office, moving somewhere cheaper seems a good plan. If I get a good sale price on the current place, it should be possible to live very cheaply at the new one....

It would be hard to go from a garage to no garage for me. I have way too much "garage stuff." Rolling toolbox, ramps, floor jack, crates of fluids, house repair stuff, etc. Back when I was looking at houses, I was even doing the mental debate, like, "if I get rid of all that stuff, would I be comfortable having to take my vehicles somewhere every time they needed something." I couldn't get past it. I won't even let anyone change the oil if I can help it.

Yeah. Me too on the fasteners. I have several jars of them.

Been here 3.5 years, never got the garage in a useable shape. It became a storage unit for the OL's cast-off furniture.

With the real estate market shooting up here due to influx from California and work-from-home negating the benefit of being close to the office, moving somewhere cheaper seems a good plan. If I get a good sale price on the current place, it should be possible to live very cheaply at the new one....

Nice man, always good to reduce the monthly expenses.

It would be hard to go from a garage to no garage for me. I have way too much "garage stuff." Rolling toolbox, ramps, floor jack, crates of fluids, house repair stuff, etc. Back when I was looking at houses, I was even doing the mental debate, like, "if I get rid of all that stuff, would I be comfortable having to take my vehicles somewhere every time they needed something." I couldn't get past it. I won't even let anyone change the oil if I can help it.
Yeah, I hear that loud and clear. I have a mechanic I can trust for the MINI, and will stick the rolling toolbox and that stuff in the shed at the end of the carport. Will have to deal with it and have the shop do my oil. I can probably still do small, clean stuff like change spark plugs, etc.

Back
Top Bottom