Celestion Seventy 80s - are they flat enough?

MaaZ

Hello there –

So far I've mostly just used my Axe-Fx 3 with my "studio" monitors, but I want to set up my live rig and make some presets for it.

Here's what I'm working with:
  • Amp = Orange CR120
  • Cab = old Crate 4x12 that only has 2 speakers on the top row
  • Speakers = Celestion G12P-80 "Seventy 80s" (16 ohm, 80W)
Anyone here have experience running their Axe-Fx with any of this gear? What'd you think?

I'm hoping since the CR120 is a solid state amp that the clean channel is "flat enough" and I've kept the Amp block on for now. I haven't had a chance to play with it too much yet, but I've added an OUT2 block (to skip the Cab sim) to a few presets, and that's going to the amp. I have the bass knob at 12 o'clock and been going between 10 and 12 o'clock on the treble knob. It's usually late at night when I get a chance to play with it so I haven't cranked it up yet, but I think it sounds decent so far.

Anyways, ever since I picked up this cab I've wanted to add 2 more speakers to fill it out. With the idea that I wouldn't be running the cab sims with this set up I started looking up other speakers good for modern metal, high gain, djenty-type stuff, but in most of what I found the discussion is around using them with real tube amps... what's your recommendation for speakers for high-gain tones w/o the cab sims? are they decent for cleans too?

I read some reviews on the Celestion 70/80s I already have, and I keep seeing them called bland, flat, etc., with a couple threads even claiming they are "Flat Response" or basically FRFR. The IR curve does look "relatively flat" (sorry I can't add links yet), but I couldn't find an IR curve for an actual FRFR speaker to compare it to (maybe they're actually completely flat? 🤷‍♂️). But that's got me thinking maybe I don't need to bypass the Cab block. Of course I'll try it to compare when I can, but hit me with your opinions! Are these speakers close enough to "Flat" to keep the Cab block ON and sound okay?

Those threads on the 70/80s also said people liked them in 2x12s the best... well I've got 2 of em in a 4x12 box – how does that compare?

To be honest I'm pretty uninformed about real cabs and amps, but I'm hoping your experienced minds and ears can help point me in the right direction. Thanks!

I've had Seventy/80's for years. I've got a deep 1x12 open back cabinet with a Seventy/80 that sounds great but I've also found them fizzy in other cabinets. I've used them off and on with amps and the Fractal for years. Here's my take:

They're not flat. They are guitar speakers. They have a little more high end and thats where the fizz probably comes from. They aren't really suitable on their own to use with IR's like a studio monitor. They are guitar speakers.

They're not flat. They are guitar speakers. They have a little more high end and thats where the fizz probably comes from. They aren't really suitable on their own to use with IR's like a studio monitor. They are guitar speakers.
This the feedback I'm looking for – thanks!

I was hopeful, but I'm ultimately not surprised this craigslist set up isn't the perfect modeling rig :laughing: (I bought all this years ago with no intention of modeling at the time; just too cheap to pass up)

I think I noticed the high end a bit, but I didn't really have a reference to judge it against. I'll keep playing with it while keeping an eye on that

Last edited:
Right. What do you recommend and what makes it better? Thanks

Materials and construction. A lot of people are offloading 412s with live prospects dwindling and priority changes. I would look for a marshall 1960A as they are plentiful and affordable on the used market.

Materials and construction. A lot of people are offloading 412s with live prospects dwindling and priority changes. I would look for a marshall 1960A as they are plentiful and affordable on the used market.
TBH the handles were broken when I got this thing, so I think you've got a good point there haha

I'll keep an eye out for those. Finding a good deal on a proven solid cab might just be easier than DIY-ing this one up to par

Back
Top Bottom