Celestion irs

Fab8040

Experienced
Hi guys.. Just a maybe stupid question... Celestion irs are based only on the specific speaker and there is no explanation about the cabinet into which is included.. So in fact how is the approach in the cab block? In fact with the parameters available WE build the cabinet around it? Thanks

Generally speaking. The guitar cabs people find to sound the best. Are ones that are changing the sound of the speaker basically as much as is physically possible.

Mesa 4x12 have become like an industry standard. Why? 1) oversized cabs most people prefer. 2) The grill cloth are designed to be really thick and block out a bunch of higher frequencies. All the reasons are, the cabinet changing the sound of the speaker away from how it sounds if you just heard it by itself.

Ownhammer IR’s will save you so much grief.

If you are dead set on making the IR’s sound usable though, you need to apply a bunch of hi cut, I’d go down to like to at least 10k with most of the celestion IR’s. Then find a speaker impedance curve you like the most. Try ones again with more hi cut. Mesa 4x12 straight for example.

Generally speaking. The guitar cabs people find to sound the best. Are ones that are changing the sound of the speaker basically as much as is physically possible.

Mesa 4x12 have become like an industry standard. Why? 1) oversized cabs most people prefer. 2) The grill cloth are designed to be really thick and block out a bunch of higher frequencies. All the reasons are, the cabinet changing the sound of the speaker away from how it sounds if you just heard it by itself.

Ownhammer IR’s will save you so much grief.

If you are dead set on making the IR’s sound usable though, you need to apply a bunch of hi cut, I’d go down to like to at least 10k with most of the celestion IR’s. Then find a speaker impedance curve you like the most. Try ones again with more hi cut. Mesa 4x12 straight for example.
Yeah sorry maybe my english is not so good but at the end i didn not understand how to approach them and if you like it or not... I ve bought tons of irs and i m happy with them mostly expecially vallhalir York audio and Giacomo Pasquali which is an italian producer and which i recommend.. I was curios about celestion because the fact that the producer of the speaker himself realize ir sounded me as guaranty of success.. But the fact that the ir is refered only to the speaker stopped me.

Hi guys.. Just a maybe stupid question... Celestion irs are based only on the specific speaker and there is no explanation about the cabinet into which is included.. So in fact how is the approach in the cab block? In fact with the parameters available WE build the cabinet around it? Thanks
I have a bunch - as you mention, they are based on cabinets but they don't provide any cabinet specifics other than 412CB, 212CB, 212OB, 112CB, 112OB. Marketing I guess, emphasizing their speaker offerings, but the cab response (whatever it is) is in there, just not revealed. I've wondered what portion of an impedance curve is attributable to cab. When I look at the Fractal ICs it does not seem like much but maybe I do not interpret this properly:

1668965142171.png

Last edited:
I tried some Celestion IRs when they first released them. I didn't really like any of them...

There are a few in the factory IRs.

One of my friend uses the Celestion Suhr pack w/ his two notes and it sounds awesome. I'd assume the regular captures are the same, you just don't get the ability to pretend you're moving the mic around.

The standard Celestion offerings are supposed to be featuring the speaker in a somewhat "neutral" cabinet. They tend to be a little generic sounding because of this and don't have the typical cabinet coloring of something like a mesa cab or 1960 cab. They have other offerings like the Suhr's as mentioned. The downside of that is if you don't like the cabinet "color" being added, you're not gonna like the IR pack. I have a few packs and I prefer the original releases because they are somewhat neutral. Overall I prefer York Audio IRs but the Celestion fill a need for certain uses. I do think the sit well in a mix and because they are more neutral sounding, post eq works well with them.

Back
Top Bottom