Celestion IRs vs Other?

KAM

Anyone buy the Celestion IRs yet? If so, how do they compare to other commercially available IRs and the stock cabs?

There are a couple stock ones installed.. I saw your post about dealing with harshness and from my experience; the celestion IR's are pretty harsh . Check out ownhammer or York.

I do not find the Celestion IR's I own to be harsh. Although, some of the Ownhammer ones I own I do not care for. To each his own and I'm sure what your playing it though matters. I think there are alot of good IR's out there. Just have to find what works for you.

I see Celestion as focusing on speakers more. There is a lot of difference between a 57 in front of a V30 in a Mesa cab and a 57 in front of a V30 in a Marshall cab.
Obviously anything British will sound superior though :p

Not to mention mesa v30s are different than Marshall v30s :)

ML here. Honestly the process of shooting IR's has many variables that have to do with personal taste. That is why there are big companies with big brand names and then IR producers that are often 1-2 man operations that are capable of producing the same level if not better IR's. Everything is handmade by people with their own opinions. Most importantly microphone position, the room and how it's treated and where the cabs are placed. Has the cab been modifier to be better for micing.. these types of things. And then ultimately the cab being used and not just any speaker but finding really good example of a specific speaker. These are what make an IR.

What I'm trying to get at here is that those opinions that I mentioned 1) mic position 2) room 3) cab 4) finding "the good speakers" are ultimately variables that exist in all IR producer camps big or small. Finding the IR producer that you agree with is up to you really. I'm sure all IR producers will say that they are doing it "right" whether they spent time thinking everything through or not. :D

How do the stock cabs compare with the commercial stuff? Is it worth buying them? I've narrowed the cabs I like most down to a dozen, and they seem to be pretty flexible for different amps, but the V30 cabs in particular haven't been as appealing, so that's why I asked about the Celestion IR.

ML here. Honestly the process of shooting IR's has many variables that have to do with personal taste. That is why there are big companies with big brand names and then IR producers that are often 1-2 man operations that are capable of producing the same level if not better IR's. Everything is handmade by people with their own opinions. Most importantly microphone position, the room and how it's treated and where the cabs are placed. Has the cab been modifier to be better for micing.. these types of things. And then ultimately the cab being used and not just any speaker but finding really good example of a specific speaker. These are what make an IR.

What I'm trying to get at here is that those opinions that I mentioned 1) mic position 2) room 3) cab 4) finding "the good speakers" are ultimately variables that exist in all IR producer camps big or small. Finding the IR producer that you agree with is up to you really. I'm sure all IR producers will say that they are doing it "right" whether they spent time thinking everything through or not. :D

This is too true. And all of these variables fit different guitars, amps and styles of play differently :)

How do the stock cabs compare with the commercial stuff? Is it worth buying them? I've narrowed the cabs I like most down to a dozen, and they seem to be pretty flexible for different amps, but the V30 cabs in particular haven't been as appealing, so that's why I asked about the Celestion IR.

Many of the stock cabs are commercial IRs, however I find the choices a bit dark for my tastes in general. With all of the variables mentioned above no one can tell what a specific person will find the best for them. I have done a lot of research on this and what one person completely dislikes the next will love. It depends on the application too.

I've bought a few of 412 packs. I really dig the G12-65 pack as I owned and gigged a 1980's JCM800 cab with G12-65's in it for 20 years and IMO it's a very well done shoot of the speaker/cab and sounds and feels to me like my old cab did, mic'd up on stage, then returned to me through monitors or IEM's.

I did some shoots of my cab before selling it, but I didn't have the money for for quality mic's or the proper knowledge to capture it properly, so the Celestion pack totally outshines my feeble attempt.

At the end of the day though, it's just another flavor, and basically like ML is saying, it's all about the operator producing's opinion on what it should sound like.

YMMV, and the sad thing is, you can't really know until you buy it and try it, because then you can also post produce/tweak to your taste.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to try the Ownhammer stuff and probably buy Celestion's V30 pack. I may delete some cabs I just hate because they'll just take up space.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to try the Ownhammer stuff and probably buy Celestion's V30 pack. I may delete some cabs I just hate because they'll just take up space.

There's a ton of cab IRs with V30s. To me Celestion IRs only make sense if you focus on the less well represented speakers.

I bought a few but I hate the way they organise their IRs. I greatly prefer how Rosen\3 Sigma do it by offering you 5 different flavours of each cab rather than 200 different variations.

I can see why those variations are appreciated, but in the grand scheme of "getting shit done", I can't be bothered going through 200 variations of the 57 in front of the cab at different locations and points and distances and s;kdfh;ksdjfh;ksjdfh

If I wanted to do that, I'd mic up the cab myself.

I'd stick with Ownhammer or other 3rd party IR creators. They have IRs of Celestion speakers and in my opinion sound better. Granted, I've only tried the free V30 that Celestion offered but it wasn't any better than the free IRs I tried from Redwirez or Ownhammer. I personally opted for the Ownhammer California Duo pack and am more than happy with the results.

I also purchased Cab Lab 3 which took IRs to another level for me, having the ability to create my own mixes from mic placements I prefer. However, that's a whole new rabbit hole you may or may not want to jump into. If you consider Cab Lab though, be aware that you can't use any of the factory cabs with it, just Cab Packs or 3rd party IRs.

I like the Celestion IRs, but a lot of the time I feel that they are either just slightly too bright, or slightly too dark for my needs. That’s why I’m a Redwirez guy through and through. I owe everything I know about (virtual) cab miking to the Big Box collection and mixIR2. Plus, Redwirez is one of the only IR producers that include the Neumann U87, which has become one of my favorite mics. I wonder why more IR producers don’t use it as often...

I happen to like a lot of the Celestion IRs. Really like the Creamback IRs They fill a middle ground for me and my tastes between the factory IRs and the offerings from OH and ML and others. Like ML said, everything is subjective to you, your ears and needs and there are too many variables to have a one size fits all.

I happen to like a lot of the Celestion IRs. Really like the Creamback IRs They fill a middle ground for me and my tastes between the factory IRs and the offerings from OH and ML and others. Like ML said, everything is subjective to you, your ears and needs and there are too many variables to have a one size fits all.
+1 for the Celestion Creambacks. There are lots of good IRS in the Celestion packs. And lots that I don’t care for, either. Same as any other IR collection.

I own almost all of the Celestion and Ownhammer cabs. I also own quite a few of the ML cab packs sold here on the fractal site. It's only been recently I have been playing with these IR's even though I've owned the cab IR's almost since they were released. LoL
Out of the 3 I would put Celestion at the bottom of the pack. Plus, when they were first releasing IR's I had sent them some questions and they were kinda dicks. After the initial release they were doing a 50% off sale. I found out about them and the sale a day late from Scott Henderson on the Guitar Wank show. I asked them if I bought ALL of their IR's if I could still get the sale price? It just digressed from there. Just to teach them a lesson, I ended up buying all their IR's anyway...
LoL
A fellow forum guy here, mentioned to me, "Think about what you already like (speaker/mic wise and go from there." That was EXCELLENT advice!
Celestion for example has released a gazzillion speaker models. Just how many speakers do we need? LoL
Over the years there were mainly 3 speaker models I tended to use. The Vintage 30, and maybe the 75 in a 4x12, and I tended to use EVM 12L. I've used many, many speakers, but I always tended to buy or stock cabs with those models. That's just me though.
So for me, its a toss up between ML and OwnHammer.

Back
Top Bottom