Celestion F12-X200

Okay that was strange but anyway I think it should work might be a bit thin. I think your looking for 2.8 to 3.2 cubic feet and that one is like 2.3 cubic feet.

Based on external dimensions:
F12-X200 front ported cabinet plan = 2.56 cu ft
Mesa front ported Widebody = 2.77 cu ft

Just wondering if anyone tried it.
Thanks

Never tried it in the wide body. I'm just trying to give you my example. It's actually 2.1 if its 3/4 ply or 2.3 if its 1/2 ply. You have to deduct the thickness of the top, bottom, baffle, and sides plus one back panel for correct cubic feet. My Xitone GRFR 112 with a F12-X200 speaker that I installed is 2.3 cubic feet and sounds pretty good so you should be good to go.

I had one in a Mesa widebody. Sounded very good. In fact, I took it out to put two of them togther in a Dual Rect. 2x12 horizontal, and I am not as impressed with the sound. I have two 2x12's loaded with F12-X200's. I don't know, but they dont sound as articulate as the 1x12 WB. I think I am going back to the 1x12's, and will pick up a 2nd widebody cab. My $.02

Joe

I had one in a Mesa widebody. Sounded very good. In fact, I took it out to put two of them togther in a Dual Rect. 2x12 horizontal, and I am not as impressed with the sound. I have two 2x12's loaded with F12-X200's. I don't know, but they dont sound as articulate as the 1x12 WB. I think I am going back to the 1x12's, and will pick up a 2nd widebody cab. My $.02

Joe
I have been on a bit of a tear with these. I have 2 and have been thinking long and hard about putting them in a 2x12. I am worried about comb filtering. Because people that know more than me said so :oops::D A mini stack of 2 - 1x12s would be quite nice I am thinking \m/

Not sure how it is in your neck of the woods, but it's tough to find high quality 4x8 birch plywood around my neighborhood. I decided to experiment with poplar. The plywood has at least 9 layers, but it can be tough to tell when they don't always alternate light and dark. I've only found about 3 really small voids after making the rough cuts. I don't have the best tools or great carpenter skills, but after cutting the 6 pieces for the first cab, they at least stay standing up without any noticeable gaps. I cut the backs to be closed back, but there will be enough wood left over from the 4x8 to make an open back version as well. I may experiment with birch for just the baffle after I hear how these sound.

Stage one (initial cuts) complete.
Poplar Cab Front.jpgScreen Shot 2021-09-29 at 6.43.11 PM.png

Last edited:
Not sure how it is in your neck of the woods, but it's tough to find high quality 4x8 birch plywood around my neighborhood. I decided to experiment with poplar. The plywood has at least 9 layers, but it can be tough to tell when they don't always alternate light and dark. I've only found about 3 really small voids after making the rough cuts. I don't have the best tools or great carpenter skills, but after cutting the 6 pieces for the first cab, they at least stay standing up without any noticeable gaps. I cut the backs to be closed back, but there will be enough wood left over from the 4x8 to make an open back version as well. I may experiment with birch for just the baffle after I hear how these sound.

Stage one (initial cuts) complete.
View attachment 89330View attachment 89332
I bet they will sound just fine. Poplar just isn't quite as dense as birch but more dense than most pine. Glad to see you making progress. Please keep us updated.
🤘😜

Today I finalized the assembly of my new stereo modeling amp system: AxeFX II XL+ > Matrix GT1000 FX > a pair of Bogner Cubes, each containing a Celestion F12-X200.
I'm loving the sound, I rolled up foam rubber and put it in the 2 ports of each Cube. It's not a heavy lift to EQ to after using Event 20 /20 bas powered monitors. As I continued to tweak settings, I liked the switch from monitors more and more.

Today I finalized the assembly of my new stereo modeling amp system: AxeFX II XL+ > Matrix GT1000 FX > a pair of Bogner Cubes, each containing a Celestion F12-X200.
I'm loving the sound, I rolled up foam rubber and put it in the 2 ports of each Cube. It's not a heavy lift to EQ to after using Event 20 /20 bas powered monitors. As I continued to tweak settings, I liked the switch from monitors more and more.
Nice👍 - Are they flat enough in those cabs such they can replicate the different sounds of widely varying amp/cabir Axefx models?

Speakers close enough together that their waveforms combine into peaks and valleys.
I would assume this only to be the case if the speakers waveforms were actually not aligned.
I mean if the peaks and valleys are exactly the same (sound is arriving at the same time), there would be no comb filtering...is that correct?

I would assume this only to be the case if the speakers waveforms were actually not aligned.
I mean if the peaks and valleys are exactly the same (sound is arriving at the same time), there would be no comb filtering...is that correct?
That effect will vary as you move across the soundfield. Think of the ripples from two pebbles dropped in a pond.

Think of the ripples from two pebbles dropped in a pond.
But if the two pebbles are exactly the same, dropped exactly at the same time (amounting to 1 pebble), wouldn't there be only one set of ripples?

Sorry Dave, I'm just trying to get my head around this.

My understanding of comb filtering is; two waves of sound emanating from the same source but arriving at the listener at different times. This is often the result of sound from the source leaving at different times e.g Mic positions.
If two speakers in the same cabinet are receiving the same signal at precisely the same time, wouldn't the peaks and valley's be identical, thus amounting to one 'pebble')?

Back
Top Bottom