Celestion F12-X200

Hi guys, Update for you all. Heard back from Celestion this morning. They've now told me to remove the speaker from the cab and test it again as Justin advised me to. Also to gently push the cone in with my fingers to see if there's any coil rub.

The last test would've ruled out the problem being the compression driver. So I'll take the speaker out tonight and and see what happens. I'll report back later tonight. Hopefully Celestion might help me out after this. Fingers cross anyway!
Here is a link to celestion's "is my speaker broken" article.
https://celestion.com/dr-decibel/is...an-i-check-if-my-speaker-is-working-properly/

I really hope you get this sorted out cuz these speakers are freaking awesome.

Speaker has now been removed and I've just tested it again. The distortion is still present! I think its safe to say it's definitely the speaker after all that lol. I've emailed Celestion back letting them know and I've taken a pic of the serial no label just in case they ask for it. Hopefully they might replace it for me. Fingers crossed!

Speaker has now been removed and I've just tested it again. The distortion is still present! I think its safe to say it's definitely the speaker after all that lol. I've emailed Celestion back letting them know and I've taken a pic of the serial no label just in case they ask for it. Hopefully they might replace it for me. Fingers crossed!
You bought that used didn't you? Any recourse able to be had against the seller?

You bought that used didn't you? Any recourse able to be had against the seller?
I did buy it used. I'm not sure if I can do anything to be honest the seller said he never had any issues with it. He seems like an honest guy but you never know at the end of the day.

He did offer to make a claim for damages via the courier when he heard I was having problems. So that could be something we can look into I suppose. I'm gonna wait till Celestion get back to me first. If they can't help then I'm tempted to just buy another speaker.

Just a quick update. Celestion have asked me to send the speaker into them next week so it can be tested. I've got to also send them some screen shots of my signal chain in the axe plus some info on my guitars. I'll just send them some links to the manufactures websites.

Fingers crossed they will find the issue and help me out.

Just a quick update. Celestion have asked me to send the speaker into them next week so it can be tested. I've got to also send them some screen shots of my signal chain in the axe plus some info on my guitars. I'll just send them some links to the manufactures websites.

Fingers crossed they will find the issue and help me out.
It's definitely a step in the right direction for sure 🤞

Hi guys,

I hope you are all well. I have some good news this morning. I've heard back from Celestion and they've said the problem was a "Really nasty voice coil rub" causing the issue. Thank god they found the problem I thought I was going mad lol.

They also said someone tried to modify the speaker as there was some black goo like substance around it. They thought whoever put that on didn't realise the speaker was faulty and tried to get rid of the rattle by putting that on. Usually that would invalidate the warranty but on this occasion they are going to send me a replacement.They didn't have to really as it wasn't their fault.

Anyway I thought you'd all like to know. Once the new speaker arrives I'll give it a go and let you all know how I get on.

Thanks again for everyone's help on this one. I really appreciate it!

Hi guys,

I hope you are all well. I have some good news this morning. I've heard back from Celestion and they've said the problem was a "Really nasty voice coil rub" causing the issue. Thank god they found the problem I thought I was going mad lol.

They also said someone tried to modify the speaker as there was some black goo like substance around it. They thought whoever put that on didn't realise the speaker was faulty and tried to get rid of the rattle by putting that on. Usually that would invalidate the warranty but on this occasion they are going to send me a replacement.They didn't have to really as it wasn't their fault.

Anyway I thought you'd all like to know. Once the new speaker arrives I'll give it a go and let you all know how I get on.

Thanks again for everyone's help on this one. I really appreciate it!
Well that means either:
A: The guy you bought it from was trying to screw you.
B: Someone at the factory, I'm guessing China, pulled some shady shit to get thru QC.

Either way it's irrelevant now. I'm just happy to hear they are taking care of it. These speakers are great. Let us know what you think of it once you put a few hours in on the new one.
🤘😜

Well that means either:
A: The guy you bought it from was trying to screw you.
B: Someone at the factory, I'm guessing China, pulled some shady shit to get thru QC.

Either way it's irrelevant now. I'm just happy to hear they are taking care of it. These speakers are great. Let us know what you think of it once you put a few hours in on the new one.
🤘😜
Who knows! The seller could be trying it on but he seemed so genuine to me, you can never tell though. Its a bit strange that the original owner would do anything to it. I mean its not even a year old yet. I guess we will never know. I'm just glad its been sorted finally.

I will definitely let you all know how I get on with the new one. I'm probably looking next week now before it turns up. Looking forward to it though.

Last edited:
Reactions: ESW
Found where someone was talking about the problems they had with the first production speakers. Was on a bill fitzmaurice loudspeaker design diy forum in Jan 2020.

They posted this:
"Mine rattled as well, it was one of the very first speakers.
Sent it back to Celestion, it turns out the plastic cap was not 100% secured, causing it to rattle. So if yours rattles, you have a faulty one and you should get it fixed or replaced."

Bought mine in 2021...zero issues and sound great!

Who knows! The seller could be trying it on but he seemed so genuine to me, you can never tell though. Its a bit strange that the original owner would do anything to it. I mean its not even a year old yet. I guess we will never know. I'm just glad its been sorted finally.

I will definitely let you all know how I get on with the new one. I'm probably looking next week now before it turns up. Looking forward to it though.
Is this the Zilla FRFR with F12-X200 thats being sold on ebay in the uk? Is it sounding better now?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313629110063?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=9733857380f445abb83b4451b0e39a3f&pid=100675&rk=2&rkt=15&sd=313630589654&itm=313629110063&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2380057&brand=Celestion&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:10ec928f-f7b6-11eb-9be9-727a6b50fc58|parentrq:2219541617b0a1b4275baf38ffe95a7c|iid:1

Last edited:
It is the same one on Ebay yes. I meant to post and let you all know how I was getting on. Sorry it's been mad busy with work and family stuff. Celestion very kindly replaced the speaker for me I installed it all and it's now all working great. I knew I wasn't going mad lol.

I've decided to stick with my Red sounds for now as I prefer using stereo to be honest. Plus I want to buy an FC12 so the extra cash for that and my FC6 will cover that no probs. But I was impressed with the F12 sounds pretty good to me. I'd probably use it with a slightly more powerful power amp if I'm totally honest. But no doubt about its pretty damn loud with the Powerstage 170.

Last edited:
It is the same one on Ebay yes. I meant to post and let you all know how I was getting on. Sorry it's been mad busy with work and family stuff. Celestion very kindly replaced the speaker for me I installed it all and it's now all working great. I knew I wasn't going mad lol.

I've decided to stick with my Red sounds for now as I prefer using stereo to be honest. Plus I want to buy an FC12 so the extra cash for that and my FC6 will cover that no probs. But I was impressed with the F12 sounds pretty good to me. I probably use it with a slightly more powerful power amp if I'm totally honest. But no doubt about its pretty damn loud with the Powerstage 170.
F12s in stereo is awesome.

Back
Top Bottom