Celestion F12-X200

...you can hear the distortion without the Axe or the FM3. It seems to only be present when I plug in my guitar.
If you only hear the distortion when you plug in your guitar, it's probably not really distortion at all. Try this:

When you can hear the distortion, turn down the volume knob on your guitar. All the way down. What happens to the distortion then?

By saying you are driving the power amp too hard might be they meant you are overdriving it's input stage? Then you should turn the volume way up on the poweramp and lower the axe's output instead.

Stupid question....but have you checked the levels on all your blocks in the Axe?
I have yes and all seem fine. It all works great through my studio monitors, headphones and my Red Sound MF10's. It was funny cause I was just testing my presets the other day with my ear monitors plugged into the Axe FX's headphone socket and I could't get off my main preset. I was happily chugging away on the JP2C Red model and realised about an hour later hang on minute I'm suppose to be testing this cab lol

If you only hear the distortion when you plug in your guitar, it's probably not really distortion at all. Try this:

When you can hear the distortion, turn down the volume knob on your guitar. All the way down. What happens to the distortion then?
Thanks Rex I'll give it another go tonight when I get in from work.

By saying you are driving the power amp too hard might be they meant you are overdriving it's input stage? Then you should turn the volume way up on the poweramp and lower the axe's output instead.
Tried that too power amp vol was up pretty loud and the axe's vol was set to low. As I mentioned though it all works with my studio monitors and my Red sound cabs. I know they have their own internal amp that powers them but it still works fine. I even tried an old Boogie cab I have with the Powerstage and that worked fine too.

I'm pretty certain it's either the power amp that doesn't like the speaker or it's the actually speaker.

Have you tried driving the Zilla from the stereo out on the active Redsound? IE replace the passive Redsound with the Zilla

I haven't no. That's a good idea though. I'll also try that later tonight when I get in from work. Thanks for the recommendation.

I am using it with a Matrix NL12 cab and a PS170 and it is really the best sound and feel I ever had with a Fractal unit
I have been pondering the combo of NL12 and F12-X200 for over a year. I'm glad someone else (you) tried it and had success. I have 2 NL12s and I think I will plunge into a couple X200s.

Have you tried driving the Zilla from the stereo out on the active Redsound? IE replace the passive Redsound with the Zilla.
Just tried it and surprise surprise the distortion is still there. So that proves it's not the power amp its gotta be the speaker.

I'd be inclined to agree ... though as a very last test you could take the speaker out of the cabinet and try it 'naked' to rule out any strange resonance being generated by the cab ... however that would be taking things to extremes ..... it's highly likely to be a speaker issue. Will Celestion replace it under warranty for you?

I'd be inclined to agree ... though as a very last test you could take the speaker out of the cabinet and try it 'naked' to rule out any strange resonance being generated by the cab ... however that would be taking things to extremes ..... it's highly likely to be a speaker issue. Will Celestion replace it under warranty for you?
I doubt it considering I bought the cab 2nd hand. There isn't even a serial no on the back of the speaker. Do I take the chance and buy another speaker? There's a new one going for a decent price on Ebay at the moment. Or do I just call it day and sell the cab on? I'm still tempted to try the Matrix Power amp as well.

Just tried it and surprise surprise the distortion is still there. So that proves it's not the power amp its gotta be the speaker.
Did you buy the speaker new? I'd try to exchange it if you can.

Distortion in a speaker is pretty rare I think, can't even think what physical mechanism would cause it.

Did you buy the speaker new? I'd try to exchange it if you can.

Distortion in a speaker is pretty rare I think, can't even think what physical mechanism would cause it.
I didn't no it was in the Zilla cab when I bought it. Do I take the chance and buy another speaker? Or do I just call it day and sell the cab on? I'm not sure what to do to be honest. It's sort of put me off now.

I didn't no it was in the Zilla cab when I bought it. Do I take the chance and buy another speaker? Or do I just call it day and sell the cab on? I'm not sure what to do to be honest. It's sort of put me off now.
No telling what the last guy did to it. That's too bad. Those speakers are really great sounding/feeling speakers for modelers. I'd buy another one and if it works and they aren't serialized try to return the old one in it's place..you may end up with an extra and just need another cab.

No telling what the last guy did to it. That's too bad. Those speakers are really great sounding/feeling speakers for modelers. I'd buy another one and if it works and they aren't serialized try to return the old one in it's place..you may end up with an extra and just need another cab.
That is true who knows what the seller was putting through it. That's not a bad idea actually. Why didn't I think of that lol. I don't normally do things like that but I think its worth a try definitely. Thanks for the idea!

That is true who knows what the seller was putting through it. That's not a bad idea actually. Why didn't I think of that lol. I don't normally do things like that but I think its worth a try definitely. Thanks for the idea!
I think it's a better idea than trying to sell it off to the next little guy.... celestion and sweetwater make tons of money

Back
Top Bottom