Celestion F12-X200

What's the wattage of your amp? I believe you need to be driving those speakers with somewhere around 400-500 watts, to have enough headroom, but don't quote me on that (I plan to do more research after I build my cabs, to decide on which power amp to purchase.)
I'm pretty sure the PowerStage 170 only does 85w at 8 ohms I seems to remember. But others on the forum have used the PowerStage 200 without any problems so I'm thinking that probably has just enough power to solve the problem. I'm sure the 200 is 100 watts plus at 8 ohms.

I can't remember exactly what the spec is, but I do remember reading something regarding needing somewhere around twice the rated wattage of those speakers (which is 200 watts.) I'll find it.
And keep in mind, just because others are using a Powerstage 200 (or whatever it's called) and having no issues, maybe they're not hearing the issue because they're not using it under the same conditions, i.e., driving a clean sound, which I'd think is where it'd be most likely to show up.

I can't remember exactly what the spec is, but I do remember reading something regarding needing somewhere around twice the rated wattage of those speakers (which is 200 watts.) I'll find it.
And keep in mind, just because others are using a Powerstage 200 (or whatever it's called) and having no issues, maybe they're not hearing the issue because they're not using it under the same conditions, i.e., driving a clean sound, which I'd think is where it'd be most likely to show up.
Thank you appreciate it! Fair point about driving the clean tone. I'm gonna message the other fourm member I know that has a PowerStage 200 and see if they will test with a clean tone for me and also see if they are getting any issues. Let's hope I haven't got a blown speaker!

I can't find what I'm looking for, but I came across a post from TGP, where a guy built the Celestion-spec cabs, and is driving them with a Matrix GT800FX, and he's RAVING about how good they sound, plenty of volume on tap, etc. That amp is 400 watts per channel into 4 ohms. I'll have to ask Justincase. He's also built these cabs for the F12-X200, and effin loves them.

I can't find what I'm looking for, but I came across a post from TGP, where a guy built the Celestion-spec cabs, and is driving them with a Matrix GT800FX, and he's RAVING about how good they sound, plenty of volume on tap, etc. That amp is 400 watts per channel into 4 ohms. I'll have to ask Justincase. He's also built these cabs for the F12-X200, and effin loves them.
Thanks for checking for me! I was planning to buy a Matrix GT1000FX anyway so maybe its worked out for the best. I'm still going to find out about the Powerstage 200 just in case. I'll report back if I find out anything new.

I'm driving them with a 535watt per channel class H amp ..no issues

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I hope you're all well. I managed to get a Zilla cab that's built to use with the F12 on Reverb for a really good price. It turned up today and I've plugged everything in and so far so good. I'm using it with a PowerStage 170.

It sounds pretty good so far but I've noticed a little issue especially with my clean tones. It sounds like it's slightly distorting when an open string or chords are ringing. Sort of like a fuzz underneath but not. I've tried it with the FM3 and the Axe III and both sound the same.

It's hard to explain lol. I'm thinking it could be the PowerStage 170 not giving enough headroom. I seem to remember reading a similar post on here and the forum member was using a Powerstation that was only 50 watts.

Are any of you using the PT 170 with this speaker? If so are you getting the same issue?
On another note I vaguely remember someone saying the first batch of those speakers had some kind of buzzing quality issue. May want to contact celestion and find out if yours maybe defective. Mine work great... crystal clear.

On another note I vaguely remember someone saying the first batch of those speakers had some kind of buzzing quality issue. May want to contact celestion and find out if yours maybe defective. Mine work great... crystal clear.
Thanks for the info, I've sent Celestion an email hopefully they can shed some light on this. I get the feeling it is the power amp though. We shall see. I'm getting a forum member to test it for me on his rig with the PowerStage 200 (Thanks Tony). Let's hope its not the speaker. If it though I'm wondering if Celestion will replace it. I can only ask I suppose.

Looks like someone else had a similar issue with buzzing on the Kemper forum with the EHX 5MM and they tried a another power amp and it ended up solving the issue. https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/i...-i-have-a-defective-celestion-f12x200-solved/

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I've sent Celestion an email hopefully they can shed some light on this. I get the feeling it is the power amp though. We shall see. I'm getting a forum member to test it for me on his rig with the PowerStage 200 (Thanks Tony). Let's hope its not the speaker. If it though I'm wondering if Celestion will replace it. I can only ask I suppose.

Looks like someone else had a similar issue with buzzing on the Kemper forum with the EHX 5MM and they tried a another power amp and it ended up solving the issue. https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/i...-i-have-a-defective-celestion-f12x200-solved/
I am using it with a Matrix NL12 cab and a PS170 and it is really the best sound and feel I ever had with a Fractal unit
I started with the ultra to the 2, ax8 I ne now FM3
I still have 2 xitones passive wedge for comparison with the PS170 and the F12x200 is so much better in the NL12 and allow using cab sim
It is mainly about feel but also all presets made for monitors or factory presets translate with no tweak and that’s really great
I am a bedroom player but do few gig/jam in a year with friends and it is really loud enough to play in a small band
Never had this issue you face on clean tones
Hope it helps

I am using it with a Matrix NL12 cab and a PS170 and it is really the best sound and feel I ever had with a Fractal unit
I started with the ultra to the 2, ax8 I ne now FM3
I still have 2 xitones passive wedge for comparison with the PS170 and the F12x200 is so much better in the NL12 and allow using cab sim
It is mainly about feel but also all presets made for monitors or factory presets translate with no tweak and that’s really great
I am a bedroom player but do few gig/jam in a year with friends and it is really loud enough to play in a small band
Never had this issue you face on clean tones
Hope it helps
Thanks for sharing, that's interesting so you're using the PS170 and you get no issues at all. I don't get it! That would mean it's gotta be the speaker itself. What a headache! I'm gonna try another power amp first I think that's gonna be the easiest way to determine what's going on.

@Paulg2uk

Hi Paul, This is a longshot but thought I would mention as it happened to me. Make sure there are no cables that have found their way into the speaker basket and close to the cone.

In my case one of the speaker connect wires in the cab worked its way close to the cone and the speaker would make an intermittent buzzing sound as the cone moved. It was most evident with clean tones.

@Paulg2uk

Hi Paul, This is a longshot but thought I would mention as it happened to me. Make sure there are no cables that have found their way into the speaker basket and close to the cone.

In my case one of the speaker connect wires in the cab worked its way close to the cone and the speaker would make an intermittent buzzing sound as the cone moved. It was most evident with clean tones.
Thanks Mike,

I'm gonna open up the cab tonight anyway when I get in from work and just check everything and make sure its all in order. Thanks for all the help and recommendations fellas. Hopefully I can get this all sorted in the next few days.

Thanks Mike,

I'm gonna open up the cab tonight anyway when I get in from work and just check everything and make sure its all in order. Thanks for all the help and recommendations fellas. Hopefully I can get this all sorted in the next few days.
Did you use quick connects to connect the wires to the speaker? If so check those as well. I soldered mine.

Did you use quick connects to connect the wires to the speaker? If so check those as well. I soldered mine.
It's a Celestion spec'd cab made by the guys at Zilla which I bought from a seller on Reverb. The cab is in mint condition and looks like its hardly been used. The original seller never used it with a modeller but did use a power amp with it so I'm told and never had any issues. I'll open up the cab tonight and see what's going on.

I'll have a check but I'm sure the guys at Zilla would've installed it all properly. I've sent them an email as well to see if they've encountered the problem too.

Last edited:
It's a Celestion spec'd cab made by the guys at Zilla which I bought from a seller on Reverb. The cab is in mint condition and looks like its hardly been used. The original seller never used it with a modeller but did use a power amp with it so I'm told and never had any issues. I'll open up the cab tonight and see what's going on.

I'll have a check but I'm sure the guys at Zilla would've installed it all properly. I've sent them an email as well to see if they've encountered the problem too.
Well if you weren't so far away, as in, across the pond, I'd swap you a speaker to see if that fixes the problem, cuz mine just came today, but it'll probably be a couple weeks before I can get the cabs built and actually hear them.

Well if you weren't so far away, as in, across the pond, I'd swap you a speaker to see if that fixes the problem, cuz mine just came today, but it'll probably be a couple weeks before I can get the cabs built and actually hear them.
Lol I appreciate that thank you.

I did get a reply from Celestion today saying I could be driving the power amp too much. I said I've tried to set the level of the power amp both set to really low and at gig volume and the you can still hear the distortion when set to both.

They then replied saying if I'm still hearing the distortion at low volumes that would rule out the power amp. So then its the speaker then surely? They advised me to play an audio track from my Mac or audio source and I've just done that with the Axe as my audio interface and still using the PowerStage and there's no distortion. Very strange!

I've also plugged straight into the PowerStage and with my guitar and you can hear the distortion without the Axe or the FM3. It seems to only be present when I plug in my guitar. I had a look in the cab this evening as well and couldn't see any problems.

Looks like the next step is to try a more powerful power amp. I'm gonna try and get a Matrix I think.

Back
Top Bottom