Celestion F12-X200

P.s. Macky,

I would be interested in the Alnico if you are selling..... If you are in the Uk that is?
West coast USA. Even if I sold the speakers at half price, with shipping and duty it would be cheaper for you to pay full retail locally. :-( Thanks for asking though. They are great speakers for everything from jazz to blues to high gain. I listened to a lot of A/B comparisons with v30s and G12EVHs (among other things) before buying.

Shame, Would have definitely had those from you.

Gonna make a shielded 2x12 with a Cream Alnico one side and a G1265 on the other. After also listening to a lot comparisons I think they are the best options for my playing styles.

Cheers Macky!

Question for anyone who has found reasonable success and happiness with the F12-X200.

Do your tones translate really well between the F12-X200, FRFR, headphones, etc.? Or if you dial your preset in to sound perfect through the F12-X200, does it not sound right when you listen through anything else? If the only thing that you need to tweak is the output EQ, then that would not be something to worry about in my book.

I already have dual Atomic CLRs on poles and use them like studio monitors, and I have to use headphones a lot of the time with no issues liking the tone between both listening options. I thinking about replacing my 2x12 Hz Recto cab with two 1x12 F12-X200 loaded cabs in stereo for the times I can really have some fun and want to enjoy the feel as much as possible. However, if I would have to do a decent amount of tweaking between the F12-X200 and everything else, then it would not really be a workable solution for me.

I have the new PS-100 on order. They are supposed to be releasing them this month. My god, I cannot wait for it!

I have mine loaded into a pair of 1x12 Forte 3D cabs made by Avatar. I stack them - never really thought that stereo guitar live on stage was really very effective. Anyway, I think they translate just fine to front of house sound and in-ears. I just use the Out-2 EQ to tweak the highs and lows to fit the stage/room we are in. All I know is I stopped fooling around with IRs, and guitar cabs for a live sound after I settled on this setup. Live sound is such a compromise anyway - I have stopped stressing about it.

QUESTION!

I'm seriously considering putting two of F12-X200's into Zilla Studio Pro cab, but hesitating due to:

a) most of F12-X200 videos on Youtube are recorded with open back cabs
b) rest of the videos shows ported 1x12's, recommended F12-X200 cab design from Celestion
c) the remaining part of the videos which does not fit into either a) or b) are nonsense (like mixing V30's along with F12's into 4x12)

Basically, I was not able to find a single example of how these speakers would sound in a closed 2x12 cabinet.

So, I would like to ask a couple of questions to those of you who had experience:

• How does F12-X200's sound in 2x12 closed back non-ported cabinet? A link to a recording would be great!
  • Quote from my conversation with Zilla: "The X200 has a bit more in the lower frequencies than most guitar speakers". Can I achieve decent results in a closed back setup with EQ?

If it matters:

- FM3
- Matrix GT1600FX
- Gojira style, rhythm

I have a chance to try one for $75. Really tempting even though I’m pretty happy with my PowerStage 200 and port city 1x12 with ASW crossroads. I may not be able to pass on the price though.

Last edited:
Hey all, longtime lurker, first-time poster. Got my Axe Fx 3 in November and have tried out a ton of things that lead me to the conclusion that a lot of the issues with this speaker are being overblown. Figured it was worth sharing but DYOR.

I started with my AFX3 into a Mesa Dual Rectifier 2x12 cab with v30s and a 50w Fryette Powerstation. AWESOME with cab modeling turned off.
Swapped the V30s for Celestion Alnico Cream. Massive improvement compared to the V30s - I guess you could say there's more presence to the alnico cream to cut through a mix.

Then I picked up some Sennheiser HD650s on firesale. Sounded epic with cab modeling turned on. Made me want to try out an old Mackie SRM550 1600w PA I had laying around. Was ok. No "amp in the room sound" but it made me wonder what I was missing out on with neutral-ish voiced speakers powered by the Fryette.

Picked up 2x F12-x200 speakers on Labor Day sale today and put them into the Mesa cab. This is the ticket! A lot of complaints I'm seeing in this thread are because you need to turn Input 1 down to like 50% then turn the Powerstation up a tiny bit. The dude with pix of his powerstation volume at 12:00 is either deaf now or has a defective unit (not a dig at him, just no other explanation). My Fryette isn't even at 8:00 and I'm at 105db. Most importantly, the AFX3 is fizzy AF with input 1 at max as some describe (and as others mention is to be expected in such cases). You gotta dial it back dude, then you get clarity plus amp-in-the-room.

Long story short, will be selling my Alnico Creams and Mackie PA soon. F12-x200s are keepers for me. Cheers!
Which Mesa 212 did you use (vertical or horizontal)? Did you need to do anything wiring wise or was it plug and play? I also would power it with a Fryette PS2.

Question for anyone who has found reasonable success and happiness with the F12-X200.

Do your tones translate really well between the F12-X200, FRFR, headphones, etc.? Or if you dial your preset in to sound perfect through the F12-X200, does it not sound right when you listen through anything else? If the only thing that you need to tweak is the output EQ, then that would not be something to worry about in my book.

I already have dual Atomic CLRs on poles and use them like studio monitors, and I have to use headphones a lot of the time with no issues liking the tone between both listening options. I thinking about replacing my 2x12 Hz Recto cab with two 1x12 F12-X200 loaded cabs in stereo for the times I can really have some fun and want to enjoy the feel as much as possible. However, if I would have to do a decent amount of tweaking between the F12-X200 and everything else, then it would not really be a workable solution for me.
Did you ultimately put a pair in your Mesa 212? I have a CLR but have been debating converting the Mesa cab with a pair of these.

My Buddy has 3 Mesa Dual Recto 212 side by side cabs. And I/we found them to be really beamy actually. If you are in the axis of the beam, fine. But when we walked out of the axis beam you could literally feel and hear the tone change as well as it getting quieter. But there are tons of peeps who really dig the Dual Recto cabs. The cabs I preferred for my Boogies back in the day were the upright 212s with the slanted top speakers, and the Theile single 12s. Not sure how they`d sound with the F12-X200s.
For my FM3, I am using the Xitone with Dayton Amp and the F12-X200. Off Axis sounds great. I am using only AustinBuddys Live Gold preset pack and hardly do any tweaking cept for maybe a bit of Variac and Power Supply.....

My Buddy has 3 Mesa Dual Recto 212 side by side cabs. And I/we found them to be really beamy actually. If you are in the axis of the beam, fine. But when we walked out of the axis beam you could literally feel and hear the tone change as well as it getting quieter. But there are tons of peeps who really dig the Dual Recto cabs. The cabs I preferred for my Boogies back in the day were the upright 212s with the slanted top speakers, and the Theile single 12s. Not sure how they`d sound with the F12-X200s.
For my FM3, I am using the Xitone with Dayton Amp and the F12-X200. Off Axis sounds great. I am using only AustinBuddys Live Gold preset pack and hardly do any tweaking cept for maybe a bit of Variac and Power Supply.....
Which Xitone? I didn't see one with that shaker, just one with a Celestion K12H-200TC and one with anE Eminence Beta 12CX Coaxial driver.

I asked Mick to specifically order me the F12-X200. Decided on the F12-X200 after watching a Guy demo a Xitone Active Wedge with that speaker. Prolly the 1st F12-X200 loaded Xitone wedge Mick had done tbh. At the time He was out of stock and had to order it in. But by now I bet He has them stocked. Mine is his Active Powered Wedge..... with the Dayton Power Amp.

I asked Mick to specifically order me the F12-X200. Decided on the F12-X200 after watching a Guy demo a Xitone Active Wedge with that speaker. Prolly the 1st F12-X200 loaded Xitone wedge Mick had done tbh. At the time He was out of stock and had to order it in. But by now I bet He has them stocked. Mine is his Active Powered Wedge..... with the Dayton Power Amp.
Is it otherwise identical to a regular Xitone powered wedge? Or did he tweak it in some way?

As far as I know Micks Active Wedges are identical buildwise to each other. He can install different power amps ie, the Matrix amps or Daytons. And of course, different Speakers. As well, I believe he does infact Tune/tweak his Amps/Speakers to the cabs. But you are best to contact Mick and ask him for the info you are looking for.

Back
Top Bottom