Celestion F12-X200

Hi Jive,

Im kinda lost on what to do next? Move on to where?

What else is there??

Its looking increasingly likely that getting a refund will be the case. However, its such a shame, as i thought the F12 might be a solution for me to cut down on carrying so much equipment.

I just want My Axe fx, one poweramp, and one cabinet.

I cannot seem to find a speaker that accommodates Marshall Type Amps and then works equally well with Fender style amps for obvious reasons....

I am not sure a traditional guitar speaker has been made that can do it??

Last edited:
Neale dunham
Thanks for your recommendations
I will try the F12 with PS170 in both my Xitone and NL12
I bought on a site where I can return under 15 days policy
My Xitone sounded very good with my Axe II and a 8 and my matrix GT1000 but I sold it and was looking for more compact amp for the FM3
Will report back

I just want My Axe fx, one poweramp, and one cabinet.

I cannot seem to find a speaker that accommodates Marshall Type Amps and then works equally well with Fender style amps for obvious reasons....

I am not sure a traditional guitar speaker has been made that can do it??

There are a lot of all-in-one powered 'FRFR' solutions - Atomic CLR, Xitone, Friedman, etc. I use a pair of CLRs. They're lightweight, loud, and about as neutral as it gets.

Esw,

I have tried a Friedman FRFR cabinet and didn't like it much. Cant speak for Atomic or Xitone as ive never played one.

Do the speakers in these units sound like Conventional guitar speakers?

This is what Celestion are claiming with the F12.

I have a Friedman ASC-10 and a Xitone. I prefer the CLR to both. It's basically like a big studio monitor.

It isn't a conventional guitar speaker. It feels like one but doesn't sound like one. Maybe amp modeling isn't for you? Or alternately; just use a good old fashion guitar cabinet with traditional speakers in it.

Reactions: ESW
I really love my custom XiTone FWIW. It uses a coax speaker and has custom DSP to flatten out the speaker response. It's pretty much a giant studio monitor but I had him make it 14 inches deep for extra ooomph.

It isn't a conventional guitar speaker. It feels like one but doesn't sound like one. Maybe amp modeling isn't for you? Or alternately; just use a good old fashion guitar cabinet with traditional speakers in it.

Amp and speaker modelling are definitely for me, providing I can get them to work in the capacity I need them. I have a very transparent valve amp that gets me in the ball park for amp modelling and I like it.

However, and this is where the issue lies, Using a valve amp with frfr speakers is definitely not for me. This why I thought celestion had the answer but unfortunately so far, it hasn't worked out.

Therefore I can go back to bringing a pair of conventional speakers around which means extra weight and space and two power amps etc.

I love this sound, but until a "traditional" speaker comes along that can handle all of the tones in the Axe fx this is the best I can get.

I think that is a long way off judging by Celestions' effort of an "amp in the room speaker sound" As long as you like it to sound as if its blown when cranking a valve amp through it.

:(

Last edited:
Amp and speaker modelling are definitely for me, providing I can get them to work in the capacity I need them. I have a very transparent valve amp that gets me in the ball park for amp modelling and I like it.

However, and this is where the issue lies, Using a valve amp with frfr speakers is definitely not for me. This why I thought celestion had the answer but unfortunately so far, it hasn't worked out.

Therefore I can go back to bringing a pair of conventional speakers around which means extra weight and space and two power amps etc.

I love this sound, but until a "traditional" speaker comes along that can handle all of the tones in the Axe fx this is the best I can get.

I think that is a long way off judging by Celestions' effort of an "amp in the room speaker sound" As long as you like it to sound as if its blown when cranking a valve amp through it.

:(

Was the speaker broken in? Perhaps it shines with SS power amps? Pete Thorn just uploaded a demo of the Seymour Duncan Powerstage 200 with this speaker and it sounds decent.

Its more suited for the proper amp and cabinet design. I use these in my custom built 112 19 x 17 x 12.5 cube cabs with bottom porting @ approx 80 hz much like the port city cabs and use the Dayton PPA800DSP amp. It sounds better than my Friedmans and WAY better than the cheaper headrush 112's I have but that's only my opinion. My cabs weigh in at 25lbs loaded with a F12-X200 and the Dayton amp, half the weight of my Friedmans.

Its more suited for the proper amp and cabinet design. I use these in my custom built 112 19 x 17 x 12.5 cube cabs with bottom porting @ approx 80 hz much like the port city cabs and use the Dayton PPA800DSP amp. It sounds better than my Friedmans and WAY better than the cheaper headrush 112's I have but that's only my opinion. My cabs weigh in at 25lbs loaded with a F12-X200 and the Dayton amp, half the weight of my Friedmans.
@flametop I am curious about your setup using the Dayton amp. Did you have to edit the Dayton presets(s) much in order to use it with this cab / speaker combo ? I am thinking of doing this as well but I wasn't sure about programming the Dayton EQ to get a good sound. Also, did you split the woofer tweeter up (and use the Dayton to power each separately) or just using the celestion's internal crossover and only one output of the Dayton ? Appreciate your feedback and any tips you may have.

To be honest I didn't mess with the DSP much at all. I just set it flat for DSP. I rely on the AXEFX/FM3 for my EQ anyway and go by what sounds good to my ears although the DSP programming is not that hard to deal with. I wired it as per Mick at Xitone and used the low pass red/black wires, cutting the blue/black a bit shorter and taping those off. I think Mick uses the same PPA800DSP amp in his cabs and they are very good. He seems like a real nice dude so if you have questions he will answer. Comparing the SD-200 @ 500 bucks to the Dayton @ 280.00 and F12-X200 @ 180.00 it's a better deal over the SD-200 imo. I will try and post a few pics of my cabs by the end of the week since they are not here at the house right now.

I also have another cab set using the Dayton amp and FTX1225 speakers. they are FRFR. Not a lot of difference to me except price but they would give you true FRFR with high/low pass (red/blk blue/blk) connected from amp. This would not be a cheap option but would give you higher quality than something like Headrush.

Hey all, longtime lurker, first-time poster. Got my Axe Fx 3 in November and have tried out a ton of things that lead me to the conclusion that a lot of the issues with this speaker are being overblown. Figured it was worth sharing but DYOR.

I started with my AFX3 into a Mesa Dual Rectifier 2x12 cab with v30s and a 50w Fryette Powerstation. AWESOME with cab modeling turned off.
Swapped the V30s for Celestion Alnico Cream. Massive improvement compared to the V30s - I guess you could say there's more presence to the alnico cream to cut through a mix.

Then I picked up some Sennheiser HD650s on firesale. Sounded epic with cab modeling turned on. Made me want to try out an old Mackie SRM550 1600w PA I had laying around. Was ok. No "amp in the room sound" but it made me wonder what I was missing out on with neutral-ish voiced speakers powered by the Fryette.

Picked up 2x F12-x200 speakers on Labor Day sale today and put them into the Mesa cab. This is the ticket! A lot of complaints I'm seeing in this thread are because you need to turn Input 1 down to like 50% then turn the Powerstation up a tiny bit. The dude with pix of his powerstation volume at 12:00 is either deaf now or has a defective unit (not a dig at him, just no other explanation). My Fryette isn't even at 8:00 and I'm at 105db. Most importantly, the AFX3 is fizzy AF with input 1 at max as some describe (and as others mention is to be expected in such cases). You gotta dial it back dude, then you get clarity plus amp-in-the-room.

Long story short, will be selling my Alnico Creams and Mackie PA soon. F12-x200s are keepers for me. Cheers!

Last edited:
Hey all, longtime lurker, first-time poster. Got my Axe Fx 3 in November and have tried out a ton of things that lead me to the conclusion that a lot of the issues with this speaker are being overblown. Figured it was worth sharing but DYOR.

I started with my AFX3 into a Mesa Dual Rectifier 2x12 cab with v30s and a 50w Fryette Powerstation. AWESOME with cab modeling turned off.
Swapped the V30s for Celestion Alnico Cream. Massive improvement compared to the V30s - I guess you could say there's more presence to the alnico cream to cut through a mix.

Then I picked up some Sennheiser HD650s on firesale. Sounded epic with cab modeling turned on. Made me want to try out an old Mackie SRM550 1600w PA I had laying around. Was ok. No "amp in the room sound" but it made me wonder what I was missing out on with neutral-ish voiced speakers powered by the Fryette.

Picked up 2x F12-x200 speakers on Labor Day sale today and put them into the Mesa cab. This is the ticket! A lot of complaints I'm seeing in this thread are because you need to turn Input 1 down to like 50% then turn the Powerstation up a tiny bit. The dude with pix of his powerstation volume at 12:00 is either deaf now or has a defective unit (not a dig at him, just no other explanation). My Fryette isn't even at 8:00 and I'm at 105db. Most importantly, the AFX3 is fizzy AF with input 1 at max as some describe (and as others mention is to be expected in such cases). You gotta dial it back dude, then you get clarity plus amp-in-the-room.

Long story short, will be selling my Alnico Creams and Mackie PA soon. F12-x200s are keepers for me. Cheers!
Yep great speakers just not "true" FRFR like the 1225's. The 1225's do have that high hz thing going on compared to the f12's which only use the low hz (red/blk wiring) hence, GRFR. Still loud as heck and sound great imo. They work very well in a ported cab too.

The dude with pix of his powerstation volume at 12:00 is either deaf now or has a defective unit (not a dig at him, just no other explanation).
Macky,
The settings you see in those pictures are test conditions only. A poster asked for those settings to prove a situation.
That's not how I run my equipment normally.

If you study the pictures carefully youll notice I actually have two powerstations. There is no fault with either of them.

I noticed in your post that you are running two F12's In a two by twelve cabinet.

Do me a favour, disconnect one of those speakers, select 8 ohms on your PS and see how your Powerstation gets on.

The reason you probably have so much power is that you are running in 4 ohms with 2 speakers.

I only run a single F12 speaker and both of my powerstations struggle. On 8 Ohms.

Back
Top Bottom