Celestion F12-X200

Ok just got my Xitone passive wedges and put F12x200s in and I am very happy with the result. The global EQ needed a tweak (treble cut and bass boost ) nothing too extreme, but they now sound and feel like a guitar cab.
The cab I was using to test the F12 was the mesa Thiele and you couldn't eq away the sound of the cab. In this cab the EQ is hugely responsive to slight changes with those results delivered . No overbearing cab or speaker character interferes with the IR.
Thanks Mike (Xitone) for offering to sell me empty cabs .
Those wanting to try these speakers should realise that the sound (what ever Celestion say) will be dependant to a large degree on the suitability of the cab . Also don't expect the output with no global EQ set to be great, it must be tuned to suit .
I think Fractal should make some preset global EQ curves storable . Say 5 preprogrammed and 5 user on a quick access basis made to address typical user environments (cabs, amps etc.) including something like the old "Loudness" control on a stereo. Yes you can do this yourself but many don't seem too and try to dial the presets instead and this is a fundamental error. Back to what I say about presets ; we need a control method to zero in the rig to make things cross compatible so I hear the stock presets the same as you what ever you put them through (as much as possible.)
Line 6 did this years back and it helped particularly the people new to the concept of FR FR and modelling in general. In the past good was good end of but with FR FR it matters how you get there too or everything goes to hell every time you change preset.
Can you post the setting you used in your Global EQ?

bands from left to right;
4.23 3.95 1.68. 0.47 0.08 0.00 -0.95 -1.98 -3.08 -4.75 and gain on 0.00
bands from left to right;
4.23 3.95 1.68. 0.47 0.08 0.00 -0.95 -1.98 -3.08 -4.75 and gain on 0.00
So I tried them out with my custom made cab and it deffinetly sounds better! So my question is how would you use those Global EQ: use one Output with the modded EQ for you cab/wedge and run the othere Output without the EQ to FOH?

So I tried them out with my custom made cab and it deffinetly sounds better! So my question is how would you use those Global EQ: use one Output with the modded EQ for you cab/wedge and run the othere Output without the EQ to FOH?
Yes because the aim of the EQ offsets is to produce an amplified tone the same as the DI sound. The offsets are to bring the amp/speaker rig in to line with the controlled response of the direct out. Having worked in photographic printing old school ( pre digital) I find it unsatisfactory that there is no method of producing a standard output that can then be used to produce the EQ offsets with a given rig and producing a flat response in given circumstance. This practice was the daily set up method required to keep colour balance across a large range of different negative base colours. You could dial every shot on the basis of a test but this method allows you to dial everything at once on the basis of one test. The same thing applies to Axe. Dial all differential tones only after the global flat or you are chasing your tail every time you swap preset.

@FractalAudio can't there be a way to use maybe one of those special mics that studios use to measure the response of the room or on live concerts too and use that to see the response of the cab/speaker and use that to shape the Global EQ? I know the room affects the tone but in a good studio you could at least have a base response from there.

@FractalAudio can't there be a way to use maybe one of those special mics that studios use to measure the response of the room or on live concerts too and use that to see the response of the cab/speaker and use that to shape the Global EQ? I know the room affects the tone but in a good studio you could at least have a base response from there.
This would not work. We did the "Pimp my FRFR" workshop at the first German Axefest in in 2013, where we showed, how to improve the performance of a db Technologies "Flexsys FM12A active wedge". Hundreds of users have downloaded the Axe-fx parametric EQ-preset since then for the monitor. You can built some kind of EQ-preset for your cab, but it also depends from the listening position.
The listening position is most important for this. You can use a cheapo Behringer ECM8000 or a measure mike from IK multimedia for it....the accuracy is not so important, as the guitar speakers have no "HiFi" approach in the Bass- and High-Settings.

But does that still apply to the Celestion F12-X200???
Well...it just behaves like a real guitar speaker (compared to the former speaker in my DIY-GFR-cab, a Celestion K12-200TC)..so it really depends on the IR, how high or low you can go.
Yesterday I had the first gig with it...and it did a fantastic job.

Even a set of global EQ curves pre programmed and selectable per output would be useful . Something like the EQ settings on iTunes ,crude I know but useful in real word settings where you want something quick and easy for a one off circumstance . In the same way that the three band on Seymour Duncan power amps certainly has its uses.

with your specs, how do the speakers sound?
Like I said, I love them. As I play In-ear, the aim was not the 100% true reproduction of the IRs, it was more a "Maximum damage with minimal weight" fun thing and not really scientifically founded. The weight of the whole cab incl. speaker and Class d-module is about 12 kg!

First I had a Celestion K12-200 tc mounted, which was pretty loud and "ok", but the F12 is a whole different story. It really reacts like a guitar cab now. More feedback ability, more "wood" ;-) hard to explain.

I even use the cab additionally, when creating the "Selection" folder for our Valhallir-cabpacks. It's way more decent, that I would have ever expected. Some great things happen by accident. ;-) But, to be honest, there were some cool pics around in the web, so I can't say it's "my" design. Maybe the measure is a bit different to some of the other "Thiele/Mesa/Celestion..etc." specs.

Back
Top Bottom