Celestion F12-X200

So celestian is providing specs to build your own cab for this speaker.

"The F12-X200 will deliver great tone in a conventional open or closed back guitar cab. However, to get the most from the speaker's full range capability, we recommend loading it into a bass reflex cabinet.

Here's one you can build yourself."

e9vpEhD.jpg
I'm having a friend build me one of those cabs now BUT it will have a build poweramp like if it was an Active Monitor! I plan on using it together with a Scumback speaker probably untill summer if Celestion wants too lol.

Hopefully in not that many days I will follow up with a review test.

Zilla are making me a 112 with in if these speakers, should have it in a couple of weeks. Its not listed on their site yet although the speaker is as a speaker option.

After a 11-gig tour, here's my comments about the F12-X200 that I mounted in two ex-DV Mark C12 Small cabs. The cabs are open in the back, which I think is not ideal in some situations where the stage has some resonances which gets emphasized. At every volume (bedroom to ear-bleeding) the F12 X200 sounds & feel great. Together with the AxeFX III speaker simulation, it totally feels like a real gtr amp. Sounds that I've programmed at home on my studio speakers (Adam S3V) translate very well on this, with an added organic vibe. The only thing is about how the sound gets dispersed, which is way more sharp & narrow than a regular gtr speaker. If you move you head by 5cm & get off-axis, the perceived volume will be less loud, which will make you play louder by consequence. The musicians in my band had to ask for more gtr in their monitors than usual, because in-axis my real volume was lighter. Which can be good in some situations, & not so good in others. Overall I'm very happy with these, paired with a Seymour Duncan Power Stage 700 which also like very much (the simple tone controls are very effective to tailor your frequencies to the room). Just need to learn where to place your cabs & where to place yourself consequently.

Nunu, thanks for the feedback!

I’m a little confused regarding the sound dispersion description. Are you saying that you need to have your head dead-center with the speaker cone in order to hear all of the frequencies, or no?

I place my cabs on the floor, 25% tilted so they aim directly to my ears - that's the best way I found to hear myself the most without polluting the rest of the stage. With the F12, if that aiming angle is not precisely right, I may lose some Dbs while being off-axis. Last concert I could not place my cabs like I wanted because of the stage situation : the sound engineer complained that I was too loud... It's more a volume difference than a frequency difference.

Nunu, thanks for the feedback!

I’m a little confused regarding the sound dispersion description. Are you saying that you need to have your head dead-center with the speaker cone in order to hear all of the frequencies, or no?

[
With the F12, if that aiming angle is not precisely right, I may lose some Dbs while being off-axis... It's more a volume difference than a frequency difference.
I see that your cab is open back, maybe this volume problem will be solved if it was a closed back?

BTW my cab build looks like it's celebrating St. Patricks now jeje... it will have an option to open or close the back so I can test speakers and see how they sound both ways.

Attachments

• IMG_20190321_143627_469.jpg
    IMG_20190321_143627_469.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20190321_143631_910.jpg
    IMG_20190321_143631_910.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20190321_143637_686.jpg
    IMG_20190321_143637_686.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20190321_143640_359.jpg
    IMG_20190321_143640_359.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 75
Looks good ! Personally I don't see why a closed back would make a wider dispersion, but let us know !
BTW my cab build looks like it's celebrating St. Patricks now jeje... it will have an option to open or close the back so I can test speakers and see how they sound both ways.

Looks good ! Personally I don't see why a closed back would make a wider dispersion, but let us know !
The only reason why I said that is because you said that "t's more a volume difference than a frequency difference." so I'm just trying to wrap my head around that since Celestion has said since the beginning that the idea of this speaker is to have a wider dispersion and their cab design is a closed back cab... so I'm just thinking out loud, someone has to give it a try and give us the feedback.

The wedge is with a group of folks at the moment who are putting it through the wringer... I expect to be able to pass along some of their thoughts in the near future.

Just wondering if you have any updates on this? Also curious if you will be offering them with your XiTone wedges in the near future? I'm still running my Matrix amp into my Mesa guitar cabs and want to go full range soon. There's a guy 20 mins away from me selling off his XiTone passive wedges, and I'm trying to decide whether to pick them up from him or wait until you have a new solution with the F12-X200 available. Help! :)

Just wondering if you have any updates on this? Also curious if you will be offering them with your XiTone wedges in the near future? I'm still running my Matrix amp into my Mesa guitar cabs and want to go full range soon. There's a guy 20 mins away from me selling off his XiTone passive wedges, and I'm trying to decide whether to pick them up from him or wait until you have a new solution with the F12-X200 available. Help! :)

If I were you I would go buy them. I placed an order with Mick 3 months ago and I am still waiting. You could buy the passives and always swap out the speakers for the F12-X200 or you would have no problem selling them later on. This is not like Amazon with 2 day delivery.

Back
Top Bottom