Celestion F12-X200

I went ahead and pre-ordered a pair from Sweetwater. IDK what the delivery date will be, but I'm in no hurry. They'll go into a Port City OS 2x12 I've currently got loaded with a Celestion Vintage 30 and a Creamback H. It sounds good now, but I want more options – plus I recently got access to a bass so I wanted something with more power handling for that.

I went ahead and pre-ordered a pair from Sweetwater. IDK what the delivery date will be, but I'm in no hurry. They'll go into a Port City OS 2x12 I've currently got loaded with a Celestion Vintage 30 and a Creamback H. It sounds good now, but I want more options – plus I recently got access to a bass so I wanted something with more power handling for that.
If these do what Celestion says they will Port City will be offereing these in all of our cabs as a FRFR option...stay tuned!

Sweetwater seemed to imply they'd be getting a shipment to send out in early February. We'll see...

Yeah I signed up on their keep me posted list. I wanna try one in my Xitone wedges. My buddy always complains the Xitones don't sound like a real cabinet, too much bark in the upper mids. For me they are awesome in a band mix, perfect mid honk to hear what your playing. Recently however I have been running one Xitone in front of me and a 2x12 upright behind with V30s. I was trying to not have a lot of off stage volume but decided to give it a shot with the 212 pointing out. My other guitarist uses a tube amp and 412, so what he's doing doesn't really translate well to the to what I would like to have happen.

I put F12-X200's in my 2 DV Mark C112 cabs. Simple install, just replacing the original speakers. So far so very good, but only living room level till now. With a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 power amp & AxeFX III in stereo it sounds & feels great, like real guitar cabs. That's my 2nd FRFR experience. I tried previously QSC CP8 & didn't like it all (well, 8' are definitely too small). I'll come back when I have a chance to play this loud !

Last edited:
I put F12-X200's in my 2 DV Mark C112 cabs. Simple install, just replacing the original speakers. So far so very good, but only living room level till now. With a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 power amp & AxeFX III in stereo it sounds & feels great, like real guitar cabs. That's my 2nd FRFR experience. I tried previously QSC CP8 & didn't like it all (well, 8' are definitely too small). I'll come back when I have a chance to play this loud !

I’m in the market for a cab solution, play mostly at home only with occasional jam sessions etc. I struggle with studio monitors, was thinking of trying the Friedman asm10 but since these speakers are out think I might get one and put in a 112 to see if that gets me what I’m looking for. I notice a massive difference plugging into an amp and cab vs studio monitors even at low levels, including using axe FX through a cab using a powerstage.

Have you used the xe through a normal cab? Any view on how the F12-X200’s compare from a feel POV?

Cheers

I've used my AxeFX II & AX8 many years through real amps, using the regular inputs or the power amp input. I love the irreplaceable feel of real amps ! But the reason why I changed to FRFR is that I could very hardly always get the same sound on stage that I had programmed at home, on my studio monitors. Sometimes I didn't get the amp I asked for backline, sometimes the same model of the same brand sound very different from one to the other (Fender Twins !)
In your situation I'd say stick with the setup you prefer (should be simple since you play mostly at home) - edit your presets & play on gtr amp & cab. The problem is to switch from amp+cab to FRFR, it's always different. One thing I did to minimize the problem was to use always the same cab IR, the same than your actual amp. Forget about using several cab IRs, it will bring more mess to your ears ; = )
At the non-stage volume I used them so far, the F12-X200s sound & feel very gtr-amp+cab like, more than my 5000€ Adam S3Vs !

I’m in the market for a cab solution, play mostly at home only with occasional jam sessions etc. I struggle with studio monitors, was thinking of trying the Friedman asm10 but since these speakers are out think I might get one and put in a 112 to see if that gets me what I’m looking for. I notice a massive difference plugging into an amp and cab vs studio monitors even at low levels, including using axe FX through a cab using a powerstage.

Have you used the xe through a normal cab? Any view on how the F12-X200’s compare from a feel POV?

Cheers

So celestian is providing specs to build your own cab for this speaker.

"The F12-X200 will deliver great tone in a conventional open or closed back guitar cab. However, to get the most from the speaker's full range capability, we recommend loading it into a bass reflex cabinet.

Here's one you can build yourself."

e9vpEhD.jpg

Cool, I believe I’ve seen T/S parameters posted for this speaker, I might try plugging them into winISD when I get home (unless someone else beats me) to see what kind of bass resonant response their recommended cab provides.

I saw on TGP some people having good luck putting these into TL806 thiele cabs, it would also be interesting to see how those compare, but I’m not sure what the port dimensions are on the TL806.

kemper user. I as well am waiting for a pair of f12x200's I will have them in a few days. Purchased them through a UK supplier. I will be plugging them into a MojoTone slammin angled open back 212 cab, which is here waiting. I will report back to you all as soon as I have it completed. what prompted my purchase from UK was, I got a call from sweetwater last week telling me that they won't have these until june 2019 sometime. Retail 149.00 each. I purchased them for 241.00 for the pair, out the door that included shipping etc. Will get back to you soon.

Update, they just arrived today and getting ready to install. I will report back soon.

Ok, Installed, to 16 ohm. The sound is majorly delicious. One thing that I love is the expansive head room. The cleans are soo crisp and colorful. A true joy to play through these. Playing the kemper through this cabinet is slowly pulling me away from my Boogie V 25 with 212 celestion 90 aniversary G12-35XC. I will always love that, but need to be more sound versatile on stage, quick and organized with my switching etc. Kemper is a blast. And with these new speakers, I'm experiencing the true capabilities of this combo !

Cheers everyone !

BTW. I got the f12x200's from hotrox in the UK. It turns out I got them for 87 euros per speaker. They got to me here in florida in a week or so, well packaged, no damage issues at all, completely satisfied and 100.00 less than if I bought in the U.S

KB

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom