Celestion F12-X200

Great looking cabinet and I really like the design with the slant. Have you tried it sitting on the floor? Curious how big of a difference if any being raised up?
I have a small little corridor in my jam room. About 10 feet deep? I have a drum kit in storage there. If I set a cabinet up on the floor close to the corridor; it activates the snares when I play and drives me nuts :mad: :D I will end up trying this rig on the floor instead of the tub it's sitting on now. I don't necessarily trust rubber feet to mitigate any bass coupling either. I prefer casters but want to keep this as light as I can.

So getting this cab in a trade today
x4fkxrqmwyxxj106x5ev.jpg

Ignoring Celestion cab specs be damned :grimacing::D

Loading it up with my 2 F12s and going to drive it with my PS100. The FM or SY1000 into the PS100 into 1 F12 is already stellar. I am hoping a 212 will be even better. We'll see \m/

is that closed back?.. ..

if i assume it is, and make some rough estimates on internal volume assuming i chopped off the top of my 425a cab its mebbe 70l +/- which would give you ~2dB bump about 130Hz.. an area where these speakers are already strong, but should be easy to eq out as its an area where we often deal with room resonances anyway... fwiw a single F12 in that would be damn near flat (<1dB rise), but as I am a 212'aholic then go for it..lol

oh, SMH.. i see you did.. strange, but cool looking cab..

I had wired my 212 in parallel for 4 Ohm but the Boss TAE had issues driving it at volume ..the Genz Streamliner 900 bass amp (fx return) however nails it well... 4 Ohm is probably easier on your amp and it may well sound better

Last edited:
is that closed back?.. ..

if i assume it is, and make some rough estimates on internal volume assuming i chopped off the top of my 425a cab its mebbe 70l +/- which would give you ~2dB bump about 130Hz.. an area where these speakers are already strong, but should be easy to eq out as its an area where we often deal with room resonances anyway... fwiw a single F12 in that would be damn near flat (<1dB rise), but as I am a 212'aholic then go for it..lol

oh, SMH.. i see you did.. strange, but cool looking cab..

I had wired my 212 in parallel for 4 Ohm but the Boss TAE had issues driving it at volume ..the Genz Streamliner 900 bass amp (fx return) however nails it well... 4 Ohm is probably easier on your amp and it may well sound better
Mojo Tone makes them in 112 format as well :) I will be futzing around over the holidays with tones and will report back.

Got some loud time yesterday. Put the cab on the floor. Changed the impedance curve and did some low cutting.

This is where the FM9 or III would come in handy with dual amps. One optimized for a 1/4 stack on stage and the other optimized for FOH.

The F12 is still a challenge. It's a stiff speaker. It sounds great with IRs but still has a bit of "fight" to it, imo. I'll have more time with it over the weekend.

Got some loud time yesterday. Put the cab on the floor. Changed the impedance curve and did some low cutting.

This is where the FM9 or III would come in handy with dual amps. One optimized for a 1/4 stack on stage and the other optimized for FOH.

The F12 is still a challenge. It's a stiff speaker. It sounds great with IRs but still has a bit of "fight" to it, imo. I'll have more time with it over the weekend.
The Real Time Analyzer on the Axfx3 also helped me dial mine in.

Reactions: JTI
I know setting the low resonate frequency had a noticeable effect on the low end how does the compliance effect it? How would you go about setting this correctly for a given speaker?
My understanding is that the compliance is about how "broken in" the speaker is.

So if you feel the response is "stiff" you would adjust it to make it less so. I believe that would be lowering the value.

Here's a post from Cliff from back when it was introduced:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-iii-firmware-2-00-public-beta-2.144615/post-1711452

I usually don't touch it but I was reminded of the setting based on the comment from @JiveTurkey.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! I'm going to dig in as I can over the holiday break a d tweak a bit. It's a powerful rig and I'm glad the advanced parameters are available to work with.

So here they are completed. I originally bought rubber feet, but saw these corners and went with them.
Corners.jpg

They interlock, so I can place the cabs at a distance for stereo, or in any stacked orientation.

Tall.jpg Short.jpg

I used this jack plate. When I use the QSC for stereo, each cab is 8 ohms. When I use the PS170, I can run 1 cab at 8 ohms or daisy chain 2 cabs at 4 ohms in mono. I spray painted the screw heads black, which look better. Still have to paint the corner screws and touch up here and there.

Screw haeds painted.jpg Cab Jacks.jpg

Your cabs look great! How do you like the sound of them?
They sound like, dare I say it... a cab in the room, but you have the option of different sounding speakers by using different IRs. IMHO, they are a good solution if you want a fairly simple rig with a lot of potential variety. There are some presets where the CLRs provide a tone I prefer, i.e., some clean tones, piezos, and certain effects. I don't have a breakdown of everything, but for both cabs I spent less than $600 and my time, but I enjoyed building them. I may end up trying a pair F12M-150 Triple Cones, but I already have a pair of CLRs that cover those frequencies very well and probably better than the Triple Cones would. So there you go.

Glad you like your new cabs! I’m only running one F12 right now and need to get another speaker, but I’m very happy with it. It replaced a Headrush 112, which I use in stereo occasionally. Mostly the HR is used for backing tracks or just playing music in my practice space. I’m happy to hear it stands up with the CLRs. The F12 really does sound less like a PA speaker and more like a cab. Definitely less expensive than the CLRs. I find it satisfying to play on.

Those Triple Cones I’m not sure about. I haven’t seen a lot of positive feedback on them.

They sound like, dare I say it... a cab in the room, but you have the option of different sounding speakers by using different IRs. IMHO, they are a good solution if you want a fairly simple rig with a lot of potential variety. There are some presets where the CLRs provide a tone I prefer, i.e., some clean tones, piezos, and certain effects. I don't have a breakdown of everything, but for both cabs I spent less than $600 and my time, but I enjoyed building them. I may end up trying a pair F12M-150 Triple Cones, but I already have a pair of CLRs that cover those frequencies very well and probably better than the Triple Cones would. So there you go.
They turned out great man. Definitely can't beat the cost going DIY. I'm glad it worked out for both of you. 🤘😁

My pal finished up the powered cab we've been SLOWLY working on. Sent me these pics. He's bringing it to me tomorrow and I'll give everyone my thoughts after playing it for a bit. I guess I can try and make some clips, not sure how well something like that would translate. Worth a shot I guess.
View attachment 103498View attachment 103499
Looks Great What did you use for solid amp?
I have 2 112 marshall cabs that i can do either fx12 triple 150 or the fx12 200

Back
Top Bottom