Celestion F12-X200

I don't know if a Matrix would make any audible difference for guitar, guitars have to sound distorted or compressed anyway...maybe for recorded music? This beast could drive a 4x12 loaded with 4 F12-X200s, that would be nice :)

I have been pondering the combo of NL12 and F12-X200 for over a year. I'm glad someone else (you) tried it and had success. I have 2 NL12s and I think I will plunge into a couple X200s.
Looking forward hearing what you think. I am far from a pro player so interesting to see what others thinks. I did this as I had the speaker, and had the NL12. I was planning to use the F12 X 200 into one of my Xitones cab, but tried it in the NL12 and was very happy and kept it (as the cab is ridiculously small and light, so great for portability)

Ah, that's ok, I also always wait for the wife and the kids to go out before cranking it up, they'd call me deaf or crazy otherwise. But there is no guy with a Randall next to me, that would rise the bar.

I guess clean headroom comes from the design of the power amp, maybe it's always the poor power supply that makes problems there and the question is if it can supply fast attacks in the lows or if it gets to it's limits then.
When you take a 400w amp for a 200w speaker the supply should always be good enough even when the design is cheap. A solution that works for sure. That does not say that all tiny amps are garbage on the other hand.
Some are crappy, some are decend. Some lie about their power rating, some give a true and fair view.
Lol. Only the wife. I just make the kids suffer through it....I feel like it's just returning the favor 😂🤣😂

Hi guys,

I hope you are all well. Managed to try my Zilla cab with my boogie head using the effects loop return with my FM3 and axe fx III. I’m still getting the same issue unfortunately. So it can’t be the power amp causing the problem.

I’ve recorded the issue with my iPhone, I know it's not ideal but you can hear the distortion coming through the speaker more with the bass strings on the guitar. A fellow Fractal user on the forum (Thanks Tony) has the same speaker in his cab and said it sounds like a resonance thing.

Here's the audio file of the issue. Let me know what you all think.

Cheers

Paul

Have you taken the speaker out of the cab and tried it? I know the spec sheet says low frequency resonance is 75 for the speaker. That's where I set it in the amp block but I've never had any buzzing at stock settings. Did seem to tighten up the low end setting at 75 tho

Last edited:
Have you taken the speaker out of the cab and tried it?
Not yet! That's my next step. Although I've just had an email from the guys at Zilla saying something is definitely wrong and they are wondering if its one of their Celestion spec'd cabs or not. I'm trying to track down the original owner they might be able to find out from their records what was originally ordered.

Not yet! That's my next step. Although I've just had an email from the guys at Zilla saying something is definitely wrong and they are wondering if its one of their Celestion spec'd cabs or not. I'm trying to track down the original owner they might be able to find out from their records what was originally ordered.
That would make sense cuz I've heard people having problems in some cabs. Let us know what you find out.

Your audio sounds like it's either broken or something slightly touches the paper of the cone.
There is no cable or anything touching the cone?
Otherwise the voice coil could be broken. The coils blow up when they get too much energy, that sounds similar.
Besides the speaker bad batteries in an active guitar, clipping distortion at the converters, fret buzzing because of a very low string setting, anything of that raises suspicion?

Your audio sounds like it's either broken or something slightly touches the paper of the cone.
There is no cable or anything touching the cone?
Otherwise the voice coil could be broken. The coils blow up when they get too much energy, that sounds similar.
Besides the speaker bad batteries in an active guitar, clipping distortion at the converters, fret buzzing because of a very low string setting, anything of that raises suspicion?
Definitely nothing touching the cone I can see. I've tried several guitars both active and non active, checked the batteries and action etc and nothing raises suspicion.

I'm still in contact with Celestion and they've asked me to do a test using the filter block on the axe with a low pass filter. Basically I had to dial out to just under 5kHZ to see if the distortion went away. My guitar signal ended up disappearing and I couldn't hear anything. Dialed it back in to just under 9khz and my guitar signal was audible again but the problem was still there.

They've recommended doing the same trying a different guitar. I've replied back and said I've tried several already. So we shall see what they recommend trying next. They thought it might be the compression driver causing the issue but because the distortion isn't a high frequency it's possible it might not be that.

Definitely nothing touching the cone I can see. I've tried several guitars both active and non active, checked the batteries and action etc and nothing raises suspicion.

I'm still in contact with Celestion and they've asked me to do a test using the filter block on the axe with a low pass filter. Basically I had to dial out to just under 5kHZ to see if the distortion went away. My guitar signal ended up disappearing and I couldn't hear anything. Dialed it back in to just under 9khz and my guitar signal was audible again but the problem was still there.

They've recommended doing the same trying a different guitar. I've replied back and said I've tried several already. So we shall see what they recommend trying next. They thought it might be the compression driver causing the issue but because the distortion isn't a high frequency it's possible it might not be that.
Filtering out everything over 5k shouldn't make your signal "disappear", should just make it dull. Seems like something else is very wrong.

Words aren't very accurate to describe this stuff though, maybe it's fine.

Filtering out everything over 5k shouldn't make your signal "disappear", should just make it dull. Seems like something else is very wrong.

Words aren't very accurate to describe this stuff though, maybe it's fine.
Exactly what I thought! All I know is it's not the Axe, FM3, guitars or the power amps. My Red Sound FRFR's work perfectly so its not that either. Studio monitors work fine. Headphones and ear monitors as well all fine. It's gotta be the speaker it can't be anything else.

Exactly what I thought! All I know is it's not the Axe, FM3, guitars or the power amps. My Red Sound FRFR's work perfectly so its not that either. Studio monitors work fine. Headphones and ear monitors as well all fine. It's gotta be the speaker it can't be anything else.
If you do that same 5k filtering through the Red Sound monitors does it sound the same, guitar disappears?

Really surprised at what you're hearing, not much of the raw unamplified guitar tone is above 5k.

If you do that same 5k filtering through the Red Sound monitors does it sound the same, guitar disappears?

Really surprised at what you're hearing, not much of the raw unamplified guitar tone is above 5k.
Interesting. I will try that when I get in from work tonight and report back. Thanks Dave.

That sounds like maybe an issue with the crossover in the f12 or the low frequency driver has failed. That sucks.

I've just relaised I've totally messed up the that filter block experiment last night. I was really tired and didn't think about it till today while I'm at work. 5kHZ is gonna be 5000 Hz isn't it? Which is what I should be setting the gain control on the filter block to? I was setting it to like 48hz no wonder why I couldn't hear anything.

What is wrong with me? Now I feel stupid lol. I'm having one of those moments lol. I'll retry tonight and see what happens.

I've just relaised I've totally messed up the that filter block experiment last night. I was really tired and didn't think about it till today while I'm at work. 5kHZ is gonna be 5000 Hz isn't it? Which is what I should be setting the gain control on the filter block to? I was setting it to like 48hz no wonder why I couldn't hear anything.

What is wrong with me? Now I feel stupid lol. I'm having one of those moments lol. I'll retry tonight and see what happens.
Not the gain control, high cut frequency. Other than that you're probably right ;)

Ok all retested this evening. My guitar signal can now be heard when set to 5kHz or slightly lower. And the distortion is still present. I've sent a reply to Celestion again letting them know. We shall see what they come back with.

Hi guys, Update for you all. Heard back from Celestion this morning. They've now told me to remove the speaker from the cab and test it again as Justin advised me to. Also to gently push the cone in with my fingers to see if there's any coil rub.

The last test would've ruled out the problem being the compression driver. So I'll take the speaker out tonight and and see what happens. I'll report back later tonight. Hopefully Celestion might help me out after this. Fingers cross anyway!

Back
Top Bottom