Celestion F12-X200

My Buddy has 3 Mesa Dual Recto 212 side by side cabs. And I/we found them to be really beamy actually. If you are in the axis of the beam, fine. But when we walked out of the axis beam you could literally feel and hear the tone change as well as it getting quieter. But there are tons of peeps who really dig the Dual Recto cabs. The cabs I preferred for my Boogies back in the day were the upright 212s with the slanted top speakers, and the Theile single 12s. Not sure how they`d sound with the F12-X200s.
For my FM3, I am using the Xitone with Dayton Amp and the F12-X200. Off Axis sounds great. I am using only AustinBuddys Live Gold preset pack and hardly do any tweaking cept for maybe a bit of Variac and Power Supply.....
Yeah I have the vertical Recto 2x12 cab. Was thinking about throwing a pair of the F12-X200 in there.

As far as I know Micks Active Wedges are identical buildwise to each other. He can install different power amps ie, the Matrix amps or Daytons. And of course, different Speakers. As well, I believe he does infact Tune/tweak his Amps/Speakers to the cabs. But you are best to contact Mick and ask him for the info you are looking for.

As far as I understand it, the Matrix GM series amps are no longer produced.

Too bad because I really like the three that I have.

Last edited:
I asked Mick to specifically order me the F12-X200. Decided on the F12-X200 after watching a Guy demo a Xitone Active Wedge with that speaker. Prolly the 1st F12-X200 loaded Xitone wedge Mick had done tbh. At the time He was out of stock and had to order it in. But by now I bet He has them stocked. Mine is his Active Powered Wedge..... with the Dayton Power Amp.
I talked to Mick about the F12-x200 vs the FTX1225 they normally use.
Basically he said the F12 would increase his margin but he said overall the FTX was a better option.
So I went with the FTX.

I talked to Mick about the F12-x200 vs the FTX1225 they normally use.
Basically he said the F12 would increase his margin but he said overall the FTX was a better option.
So I went with the FTX.
I'm interested in why he thought that, how he thinks about the differences in sound between the two, if you have any info about that.

I'm interested in why he thought that, how he thinks about the differences in sound between the two, if you have any info about that.
He said the FX sounding/feeling more like a traditional guitar cab was about a %10 difference due to less mass/inertia. But he basically told me overall the FTX was better. He said the FX cost him less. So he would make more profit using it instead of the FTX.
He’s also told me he would seal the back up for me as I wanted Marshall 4x12 tones. Apparently the back leaks a bit with the removable cover on it.
My cell signal was terrible so the discussion could have been better.

This is very interesting. I had an mbritt that I really liked. Also have a few CLR and Matrix Q12A. All very good.

I swapped an F12 into the mbritt and ran it straight through on the raw setting. I actually liked it much more.

Ended up selling it and stuck the F12 into my Q12A. It really works well for me and is lighter.

PA speakers just sound and feel too much like, well, PA speakers.

YMMV

This is very interesting. I had an mbritt that I really liked. Also have a few CLR and Matrix Q12A. All very good.

I swapped an F12 into the mbritt and ran it straight through on the raw setting. I actually liked it much more.

Ended up selling it and stuck the F12 into my Q12A. It really works well for me and is lighter.

PA speakers just sound and feel too much like, well, PA speakers.

YMMV
Now that sounds good...I own two Q12a's and I was wondering how to connect an f12-x200. Can you help me? Has the Q12a a full range power amp out and a passive x-over or is it biamped and supplies highs and lows and I have to get around the built in X-over in the f12-x200?

The Matrix GM50 amp plugs to the Matrix passive crossover. Just disconnect the two Low Frequency wires and the two High Frequency wires coming from the passive crossover and use electrical tape to insulate the ends. Wrap them up tuck them away so they are safe and won't contact anything. Then just splice a tap off of the two power wires from the Matrix and add some connectors that are compatible with the F12 terminals. Then connect to the F12 and you are all set.

You could also just unplug the power wires from the crossover and add the correct connectors and go directly to the F12, but then you would lose the ability to run a speaker cable out of the back of the Q12A to power another speaker.

I really like the Q12A with the F12. I run two of them stacked and it's a pretty full sound without taking up much space on the stage.

I use one Q12A to power the second Q12A that is switched off. That way, I have a spare power amp incase I have a failure. But I have never had a Matrix amp failure. They seem pretty robust.

Na. My Q12As are in our rehearse room in a pub and the pub stays closed until the end of june due to covid 19 restrictions. It's too hard to get to them now. I have to wait two more weeks.

I’m a hobbyist and play strictly at bedroom volumes, mostly high gain metal. Just got a FM3, how does the F12 sound at home volumes? I usually play at 80-85 decibels and debating between this and studio monitors to jam at home... I play in a 12x10ft untreated room

I’m a hobbyist and play strictly at bedroom volumes, mostly high gain metal. Just got a FM3, how does the F12 sound at home volumes? I usually play at 80-85 decibels and debating between this and studio monitors to jam at home... I play in a 12x10ft untreated room
They still sound and feel great at bedroom levels. Better than my Yamaha hs50m studio monitors or my Headrush FRFR12s. I really love the way they feel and interact with the guitar at high volumes tho.

Can I buy a good pre built cab for the F12, I play metal so not sure what would be best.... at home volumes. Not able to build my own right now.

Haven't decided just yet... But I'll start with one of my Mesa stereo amps, but I'm not expecting great results. I have a buddy who has a QSC I can probably borrow. Beyond that, I'll probably talk to Sweetwater to see what they think.

I was thinking of making a pair from the build plan they have on the Celestion site. I'm not an experienced woodworker so not too sure if I can build to an acceptable spec level, and man - could not believe the price of a sheet of 2'x4' birch over at home depot😳

Back
Top Bottom