• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Celestion F12-X200

Chiguete

Inspired
@CipherHost @randombastage So I would like to know how did you guys deal with the tweeter squeal that others have mentioned and that I've been have issues with too? Also how close are you to the speaker when you did your testing? Was the speaker in front of you facing up like a monitor or was it behind you like if you where playing live?

JamesBWood

New here
Received my F12-X200 the other day and installed into a Mesa Thiele. I run separate OUT1 / OUT2 feeds as I use my EVM-12L's on stage. For testing I pulled from OUT1 Left to CHA of my Matrix. I was able to then compare my onstage mix with my FOH mix. Very impressive. I had to up the output on CH1 to match levels but I was very satisfied with the reproduction out of the F12. So much so, I gigged this week with the 'mixed' outputs. I'm looking for another empty Thiele cab or possibly into building wedges (based on Celestions drawings) so I can just use the FOH mix.

jbw

Chiguete

Inspired
Received my F12-X200 the other day and installed into a Mesa Thiele. I run separate OUT1 / OUT2 feeds as I use my EVM-12L's on stage. For testing I pulled from OUT1 Left to CHA of my Matrix. I was able to then compare my onstage mix with my FOH mix. Very impressive. I had to up the output on CH1 to match levels but I was very satisfied with the reproduction out of the F12. So much so, I gigged this week with the 'mixed' outputs. I'm looking for another empty Thiele cab or possibly into building wedges (based on Celestions drawings) so I can just use the FOH mix.

jbw
So no issues with you and the tweeter squeal? did you have it in front of you as a monitor or behind you as a regular cab?

CipherHost

Inspired
@CipherHost @randombastage So I would like to know how did you guys deal with the tweeter squeal that others have mentioned and that I've been have issues with too? Also how close are you to the speaker when you did your testing? Was the speaker in front of you facing up like a monitor or was it behind you like if you where playing live?
I had the CLR on a short stand with the F12-X200 on the floor under the CLR tilted back, leaning on the stand. Both speakers were about 4 to 5 feet away from me with the F12-X200 pointed towards my chest while I was in a seated position. Without altering any gain or level settings on the AB presets, I have maxed out the level knobs on the front of the AxFXIII and the PS170. I have not experienced any squealing. I also separated the two speakers to hear how they sounded for stereo. Both speakers pointed straight forward (parallel with each other) with me between the two about 4 feet away from me. Sounded great.

There are a lot more qualified folks on this forum to help you with the squealing issue, but I can say the following:
I don't use high gain amps for the music I play in a Blues band. (but they are fun to play, I just haven't used any with this speaker yet)
I have used active single coils, passive single coils, and passive humbuckers with this speaker.
I am using professionally created presets (please don't take that the wrong way if you created your own).
I don't know if you did this already, but you will likely want to upload your preset (unless it is a purchased one) for others to test on their setup.

I have it about 3 feet above floor sitting on another cab facing me as I sit about 4-5 feet away. no squeal. playing louder than bedroom practice level but not quite loud enough to play with a drummer. maybe 110 - 120dB was the loudest but average just under 100dB?

JamesBWood

New here
So no issues with you and the tweeter squeal? did you have it in front of you as a monitor or behind you as a regular cab?
No squeal issues whatsoever. Facing the cabinets or with them behind me. I do have Low Cut / High Cut settings on my IR's. Could be the difference.

Nathan M.

Regular
I posted this in another thread regarding my experience with this speaker:

I was able to obtain one from Sweetwater. We have two Mission Gemini 1 cabs in our rehearsal studio, one hasn't worked in over a year not sure what the problem is but we never got around to checking it out because when someone uses them, they usually only grab one anyway. So we gutted the faulty cab, installed the F12 with a new back panel that now houses a Matrix GM50 amp module.

The Mission Gemini 1 cabs as you may know have Eminence coax speakers which are very good coax speakers that I believe Xitone used and still does maybe in some of their cabs. The cabinet itself is good size at 12x20x24 and on the inside there is some damping material applied, it's a well built solid cabinet for sure. I always thought and still do that the Gemini cabs sound really good for a backline or amp replacement at small gigs with the AX8, never touched the Empower control and always kept it at what they call flat and put a piece of tape over it and the volume control because they move way too easy and actually do during use. Very happy with the sound from these cabinets.

Comparing the Stock Gemini with the one that now houses the F12 and Matrix amp, I would give the nod to the F12 cabinet for the genre of music that I play which is 60's, 70's and a lot of blues and R&B. The bottom is a little tighter, the mids a little more forward and the highs are a little smoother. Can't help you folks that play the modern stuff with higher gain and a lot of effects and more elaborate presets, sorry.

In my non-technical jargon I would say that with the F12 cabinet, the notes have a little more bounce and jangle, especially with my Tele. Maybe the Matrix amp has something to do with it, maybe it's the cabinet or probably the whole combination just works, not sure.

PumpkinKing86

Inspired
I've been playing around with a 2x12 with these speakers for a couple weeks now and I dig em. They replaced a Vintage 30 and a Creamback H. If I ever want to go back to that sound, the Bulb Zilla IR pack can easily get me in the ballpark so really I haven't lost anything. YMMV

CipherHost

Inspired
Took my CLR and F12X200 to practice today. I used @Burgs 3atetoo preset. Using both speakers was a pretty full sound, but I spent the last half of practice using just the F12X200. Together with the PS170 and an FM3 when it becomes available will make for a light weight simple rig to play our Blues setlist.

I put 2 of these in my Marshall 1936 bottom. I a/b the speaker cabs with the NL12 speakers by themselves. I like the tone of the NL12, but the Marshall was way different from the KTH and V30 I had in it.

I put the f12 in the NL12 cab and too early to crank up yet, but I like the cab with that speaker. The NL12 porting makes a big difference with the F12. Gonna turn it up after everyone gets up and if good at louder volume, gonna build the Celestion box and try that.

The NL12 cab is a nice cab. I may just copy that one. Too bad I can't find any empty ones. Not all of the screws line up for the celestion though. I was able to get 4 of the screws in just like the Marshall mounts them. 2 things for sure, the F12 speakers are really nice and the NL12 speakers by themselves sound awesome too.

ok, no comparison, at louder volumes, the NL12 rocks the world and the f12 - not so much. The NL12's are better IMO. My son likes the F12s in the 1936 cab - need to adjust some EQ for that cab and match some IRs too. It is a harsh high end right now without a cab.

Nathan M.

Regular
ok, no comparison, at louder volumes, the NL12 rocks the world and the f12 - not so much. The NL12's are better IMO. My son likes the F12s in the 1936 cab - need to adjust some EQ for that cab and match some IRs too. It is a harsh high end right now without a cab.
Interesting, I am getting the opposite experience with the F12 loaded into the sealed Mission Engineering/Stagecraft cabinet. At gig volume and letting it rip, the F12 sounds really good. The bass tightens and becomes more defined and the highs smooth out, at low volumes the highs are brighter and the low end lacks some definition. I really dig the setup with my Tele at loud volumes, the notes have a nice bounce and jangle to them and the bass tightens well.

Evidently, like all speakers, the cabinet makes a dramatic difference. I am guessing that the oversized sealed cab that I am using just works with this speaker for the tones that I chase. It's going to be difficult for any speaker to be that versatile to be able to sound good in any cabinet you put it in, even more so for the modeling world using IR's. All of the better active cabs designed for FRFR will use DSP and EQ to fine tune the cab and speaker

seems like they NEED a cab and are not meant for straight amp use without a cab. I am going to have to experiment with some cabs and see if the Celestion IR makes any difference. I have not worked with IRs, I guess now will be the time.

Chiguete

Inspired
seems like they NEED a cab and are not meant for straight amp use without a cab. I am going to have to experiment with some cabs and see if the Celestion IR makes any difference. I have not worked with IRs, I guess now will be the time.
That is the whole point of this speaker to be able to use the IRs in modellers.

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
I can't really understand why you would get a celestion guitar speaker, deliberately flatten its response, and then use an IR to drive its response back to what it would have been anyway??

Why not bypass the cab block and use a normal guitar speaker?
What if you want to tone of different Celestion speakers for different presets ?

V30 in a Mesa 4x12 for one, Vintage GB in a Marshall TV for another.... 1x12 cream back for another....

Top Bottom