Celestion F12-X200 with Axe-Fx 3

neale dunham

Experienced
Hi Guys,

Anyone on here tried or using the Celestion full range speaker?

I currently use my Axe 3 through a Fryette Valve powerstation and wondered if I could utilise the cabinet simulations in the Axe fx by using one of these speakers instead of a conventional speaker?

I have one. I haven't used it much, only a couple of times in rehearsal. It is designed to use full amp and cab modelling which is how I use it (powered with a Seymour Duncan Power Stage 170). I find it sounds quite harsh at low, home playing volume, but works well in a band situation. It is designed to go in a specific ported cab. Mine is in a ported cab of similar dimensions to those recommended by Celestion but not exactly the same. Just for the record, this is with an AX8 and AX FXII, I don't have a III.

I am looking forward to getting an FM3 or possibly AXIII and don't anticipate using it with a power amp / cab set up; I personally don't think its necessary especially with the improvements offered by the new units and when we play out everyone hears the direct to FOH tones anyway unless you are planning on mic'ing up the cab.

I’m running two of them in custom ported 1x12 cabs and they are awesome.

I went with them to allow me to balance the need for a guitar cabinet “amp in the room” feel while making use of all the cab block and IR features.

They are used with a Matrix GT1000 2U and an Axe FX III, the idea behind this rig was to get the most flexibility possible.

Highly recommended.

Attachments

• 07E018AF-27D3-49B6-9E96-0558B304F514.jpeg
    07E018AF-27D3-49B6-9E96-0558B304F514.jpeg
    974.7 KB · Views: 228
Thanks for the great input guys!

I think I might order one and see how I like it. Just wanted top make sure it will suit my needs before I purchase.

Sounds like it will.

I’m running two of them in custom ported 1x12 cabs and they are awesome.

I went with them to allow me to balance the need for a guitar cabinet “amp in the room” feel while making use of all the cab block and IR features.

They are used with a Matrix GT1000 2U and an Axe FX III, the idea behind this rig was to get the most flexibility possible.

Highly recommended.

Nice Rackcase you have there, may i ask what brand that is?

Is that Zillas standard ported cab, or did they make the Celestion design?

I believe they are somewhere between the two, they were custom designed for my particular rig’s size and then Paul at Zilla worked his magic tuning them with a baffle, wadding and ports to get the frequency response and resonance right.

I have no idea exactly what he did but he nailed it.

The dimensions are 300 x 525 x 525 so each one fits perfectly under the rack case with the Axe FX III and GT1000FX as I sometimes run only one cab on its own.

Having the two is incredible, I can build two completely discrete rigs with different cabinet IR’s, a single stereo rig or dual mono rigs and have the cabinets close together to blend or spread wide for lots of separation and a massive stereo image.

They sound and feel like a traditional cab in the room with you.

I have one. I haven't used it much, only a couple of times in rehearsal. It is designed to use full amp and cab modelling which is how I use it (powered with a Seymour Duncan Power Stage 170). I find it sounds quite harsh at low, home playing volume, but works well in a band situation.

This interests me as the speaker and amp are very light and would make an excellent light weight rig.
Do you think the “home playing volume is harsh“ statement is a function of:
-the tweeter?
-the amp?
-both?
-something else?

thanks for pioneering these new products! :)

This interests me as the speaker and amp are very light and would make an excellent light weight rig.
Do you think the “home playing volume is harsh“ statement is a function of:
-the tweeter?
-the amp?
-both?
-something else?

thanks for pioneering these new products! :)

It was when comparing it side by side with an Atomic CLR. I don't think it was the amp which I had used before with a regular guitar cab. It could have been due to the speaker not being broken in, not sure. Also worth emphasising that it sounded good with the band so I guess one persons harsh may be another persons 'sounds like an amp in the room'.

Having said that, I haven't used it for quite a while; I have been using a valve amp with an HXFX a lot for the last few months and often just go direct with my AX8 with no additional amplification, so I should probably drag it out and give it another go. Re the Powerstage 170, I think that's really nice and it's tiny and has a surprising amount of volume available. I also have a Power Station II and I didn't feel like there was a massive difference when using the Powerstage. I haven't tried the celestion with the Power Station.

Blackmore,

I would be very interested in your comments if you could try the Celestion Speaker with the Powerstation 2 and see how it responds?

It was when comparing it side by side with an Atomic CLR. I don't think it was the amp which I had used before with a regular guitar cab. It could have been due to the speaker not being broken in, not sure. Also worth emphasising that it sounded good with the band so I guess one persons harsh may be another persons 'sounds like an amp in the room'.

Having said that, I haven't used it for quite a while; I have been using a valve amp with an HXFX a lot for the last few months and often just go direct with my AX8 with no additional amplification, so I should probably drag it out and give it another go. Re the Powerstage 170, I think that's really nice and it's tiny and has a surprising amount of volume available. I also have a Power Station II and I didn't feel like there was a massive difference when using the Powerstage. I haven't tried the celestion with the Power Station.
thank you

I have an F12-X200 as well, built a cabinet for it according to the plans made available by Celestion.
It is powered by a plate amplifier or I can use my PowerStage 170.
Sounds and feels great in both cases.

The speaker can use some breaking in, I played music through it for 1/2 day at increasing volume.Since it is full range, also music sounds great through it :) (not that I use it for that anymore). No harshness here, and you can always use an equalizer as needed.
With the Celestion Redback 412 IR's it sounds almost exactly the same as my 2x12 cabinet loaded with real Redbacks.
Disclaimer: I use an Atomic Amplifire, not a fractal... (for cash and simplicity reasons)

In a lightweight open back cabinet here.

Harsh? Not at all.
Compared to usual active monitors rather rounded highs and some extra low mid punch. Fills the room easily because of the open back.

Works well with all flat poweramps. Tube poweramps and alike sound good at first glance because they punch even more but that's not a true picture of the sound as it is way coloured.

I have two in Xitone wedges with a GT1000FX and it is very good but I tried them in other cabs and they are quite sensitive to what cab you use unlike the advertising . You can get from awesome to pretty harsh depending on the box.

To those of you who are using them in non-celestion approved cabs; any advice on a "non-sanctioned" cab to throw one in that will work and work well?

Back
Top Bottom