Celestion F12-X200 speaker

How is the power baby?

Considering one myself. Used a VHT 2:50:2 with my old AFX standard. Then went to Matrix for years. Then moved back to valves with Fryette Power station and AFX2 which I still have.

Have an AFX3 coming next week - but I now go FRFR to the desk in a lot of places - so thinking of a SS power amp for the cab so I dont have to compromise either with Power amp block tweeks.
I dig it. This week will be my first band practice in some time and my first with the Pedal Baby. I am looking forward to taking it and seeing how it does. I'll report back once I do.

Got my custom cab this morning. Brand new F12-X200 speaker and a cab made to Celestion specs by Roost

Thought I'd give it a quick test with my No1 Strat, FM3, and Power Stage in my conservatory. Two hours later I realised my ears were ringing, cleans and dirty all sound fantastic

Love it!

If anyone in the UK wants one of these cabs built I'd highly recommend Roost Amplification in Cleckheaton
Super easy transaction and designed exactly how I wanted, so it matches my CLR's.

1620937324516.png

Got my custom cab this morning. Brand new F12-X200 speaker and a cab made to Celestion specs by Roost

Thought I'd give it a quick test with my No1 Strat, FM3, and Power Stage in my conservatory. Two hours later I realised my ears were ringing, cleans and dirty all sound fantastic

Love it!

If anyone in the UK wants one of these cabs built I'd highly recommend Roost Amplification in Cleckheaton
Super easy transaction and designed exactly how I wanted, so it matches my CLR's.

View attachment 83197
Could you post the specs for dimensions etc? I might want to build one of these myself just to try my hand at cab building.

My zilla 2x12 is ported.

You get a tighter sound with sealed designs v a looser feel with ported (similar to open v close). Closed is a little more compressed sounding as theres no free air movement.

Difference between bass ported and open back is less. A little more low end eith ports.

My 2x12 ported is more 4x12 in character than a regular 2x12 for instance.

Has anyone tried the F12M-150 yet?
Those are basically just whizzer cones. Everything ive read points to coaxial drivers like the f12-x200 to be a better solution to create high frequencies. I googled whizzer vs coaxial and went down the audiophile rabbit hole. Had something to do with phase or distortion I don't remember exactly. Feel free to go down the same rabbit hole. It was interesting.

Those are basically just whizzer cones. Everything ive read points to coaxial drivers like the f12-x200 to be a better solution to create high frequencies. I googled whizzer vs coaxial and went down the audiophile rabbit hole. Had something to do with phase or distortion I don't remember exactly. Feel free to go down the same rabbit hole. It was interesting.
Have an f12-x200 - wasn't that impressed. Too boxy sounding - and I really don't need response to 20K. Just asking if anyone had real world experience with the speaker.

Have an f12-x200 - wasn't that impressed. Too boxy sounding - and I really don't need response to 20K. Just asking if anyone had real world experience with the speaker.
Mine sound great. In celestion design cabs with low res frequency at 75. Much better than PA, headrush FRFR12s, or Yamaha hs50m studio monitors.

I had a pair of Boogie Thiele cabinets and was really considering getting the F12-X200 for each cabinet. I'm running the AxeFx with an HH V800 power amp. My thoughts are I can save some money swapping out speakers plus having true stereo. There isnt much info about using the Boogie Thiele with these speakers. I play mostly metal music.

I had a pair of Boogie Thiele cabinets and was really considering getting the F12-X200 for each cabinet. I'm running the AxeFx with an HH V800 power amp. My thoughts are I can save some money swapping out speakers plus having true stereo. There isnt much info about using the Boogie Thiele with these speakers. I play mostly metal music.
There's at least one guy on here that said they work great in the thiele cabinet.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/which-frfr-speakers.173489/#post-2100539

There's at least one guy on here that said they work great in the thiele cabinet.
Thx for the response. I think I may try it.

I really love the cabs you built. Too bad I'm on the other side of the pond... I'd think about ordering one (some) from Roost. I may see if I can get someone here to build one if I dont like how the thiele sounds.

Thx for the response. I think I may try it.

I really love the cabs you built. Too bad I'm on the other side of the pond... I'd think about ordering one (some) from Roost. I may see if I can get someone here to build one if I dont like how the thiele sounds.
Are you in the UK?

Thanks for the compliment BTW....not quite as cheap to build with lumber prices now. I found these out of California.

Kind of pricey though
I completely forgot to check Vboutique. You're right, the prices is insane.

I reached out to Mathers Cabs in VA.

If I had table saw with a rip fence I'd probably build my own... I'm just lazy these days. haha

VBoutique said they would sell two empty custom Celestion design cabs for $850 + shipping. Cabs are expensive.
You could maybe contact a local kitchen cabinet maker and finish them yourself. Duratex or Exohyde are easy to apply and aren't very expensive compared to tolex.

Back
Top Bottom