MrCrossroads83

Experienced
I am thinking of purchasing a Celestion F12-X200 speaker
and putting it into a 1x12 Thiele Box.
Has anyone made any experience with this new kind of "fullrange" speaker
from Celestion? Does it sound good in combination with amp modelers
like AXE FX?

Greetings from Germany

I have one in a Peavey Vypyr 112. It sounds great. I am seriously about to move to a 212. I think it might be a little pickier in that form factor but who knows? It's on my to do list later on this year :)

You still have to find a cab/IR you like with it, but once you do; it really just kind of "gets out of the way" and gives the real amp vibe. Feels more natural to play through than a traditional powered monitor and does great with synths and acoustic stuff.

I have a 412 Avatar with two Celestion F12-X200s in the top, and two Celestion 12" bass speakers (Pulse I think) in the bottom and the sound is almost holy with my Fractal Axe FX3 MKII and a Crown XLi800. I am running it in 4 ohm per side stereo (impedance measured at 3.2 ohms per side, no crossovers) and I can't think of a better sound I have ever gotten with a modeler. I was going to use four of the F12-X200s in two per side stereo, but decided to use these subs I had on hand from a non-productive bass amp project. To me the sound is absolutely stunning. It works fantastic for lead guitar, and with the subs it would probably do dual duty. (BTW I am solely a lead guitarist).

Last edited:
I have a 412 Avatar with two Celestion F12-X200s in the top, and two Celestion 12" bass speakers (Pulse I think) in the bottom and the sound is almost holy with my Fractal Axe FX3 MKII and a Crown XLi800. I am running it in 4 ohm per side stereo (impedance measured at 3.2 ohms per side, no crossovers) and I can't think of a better sound I have ever gotten with a modeler. I was going to use four of the F12-X200s in two per side stereo, but decided to use these subs I had on hand from a non-productive bass amp project. To me the sound is absolutely stunning. It works fantastic for lead guitar, and with the subs it would probably do dual duty. (BTW I am solely a lead guitarist).
Realize this begs for a pic. Here is a shot just before I put the new speakers in the 412 Avatar, but you get the point.

Attachments

• fractalCELESTE.jpg
    fractalCELESTE.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 81
I watched a vid aways back of a Guy testing a Xitone Active Wedge loaded with the F12-X200..... with the Fractal AxeFX 3 I believe. Really liked what I was hearing. Got Mick to do a Xitone Active Wedge for me using the Dayton Amp/F12-X200. And .... it rocks for me. Really loving this Xitone using the F12-X200..... with my FM3.

I have had no luck with this particular speaker whatsoever unfortunately. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

I am using my Axe 3 through a matrix GT800 into the F12-x200 and it sounds very thin and nasally in comparison to my conventional speakers which are Celestion Creambacks.

No matter which IR I choose, this speaker fades massively in respect of my traditional speakers and I cannot understand why?

Everyone else seems to get a Stella sound.....

I copied the plans from the Celestion site and built my own cab using ply etc, but cannot seem to get this speaker to operate anywhere near a conventional speaker.

The best I have managed, is to buy some York IR's which are better quality than the stock Fractal ones but that only gives me a circa 10% improvement.

If I used this speaker live without first DI'ing the Axe fx I would be laughed off the stage. Its that bad.

What's going on?

Please help!

We install them on our Wave cabs and I think they sounds really good!

Daniel - Port City Amps
Hi Daniel. Saw your name and just wanted to tell you I owned one of your Pearl heads, and I loved it. I had to sell it and all my high end gear when I lost my job about seven years ago. It was a hard decision to get a FM3 or search for a used Pearl and some new drive pedals, but when the FM3 invite came I got the Fractal.

This speaker is a strange one.

I like it. But it has it's flaws. Like anything else. I do a lot of synth/acoustic stuff and for "simplicity"; I use amplification and a speaker that is as flat as I can get for all sorts of sounds. Guitar and otherwise.

I like the F12 in my 112 cab with my Boss SY1000 guitar synth and amp modeling. I use a Behringer rack power amp. Nothing special or custom in any way. When I use this same rig with the FM3; I can't say I am as impressed with it. Can't really give you a specific reason why or exact complaint. Just bitey sounding and sort of weak overall. Could be a level/gain staging issue. Not really sure. I use the FM through the return of my Mustang and it works great. I prefer it over the F12 rig.

This speaker is a strange one.

I like it. But it has it's flaws. Like anything else. I do a lot of synth/acoustic stuff and for "simplicity"; I use amplification and a speaker that is as flat as I can get for all sorts of sounds. Guitar and otherwise.

I like the F12 in my 112 cab with my Boss SY1000 guitar synth and amp modeling. I use a Behringer rack power amp. Nothing special or custom in any way. When I use this same rig with the FM3; I can't say I am as impressed with it. Can't really give you a specific reason why or exact complaint. Just bitey sounding and sort of weak overall. Could be a level/gain staging issue. Not really sure. I use the FM through the return of my Mustang and it works great. I prefer it over the F12 rig.
Maybe the truncated IR length?

Maybe the truncated IR length?
I use the same IRs in both platforms. I ended up shooting IRs of the Boss cabs because I'm dumb like that :oops::D Maybe there is more high frequency content in the Fractal? I honestly think it's just a level issue somewhere in the chain. I need to spend more time with it.

Just built a couple celestion spec cabs. These things sound amazing. Only tested them at 80 watts so far but they feel better than the headrush FRFR12s by a long shot.

Attachments

• IMG_20210325_180238622~2.jpg
    IMG_20210325_180238622~2.jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20210325_180343085~2.jpg
    IMG_20210325_180343085~2.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20210320_150302199.jpg
    IMG_20210320_150302199.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 78
Back
Top Bottom