Celestion F12-X200 - new coaxial speaker for modelers

Interesting. This could go in my Tech 21 Power Engine which has been sitting around just in case I need a backup. Would sound way better than the regular cone in there.

The box will change the response so making it flat wouldn't really work in the end.
Interesting. It’s not flat based on the freq response they have on the site. Maybe once it’s enclosed in a box it will be flatter. I didn’t think of that. In the end it all depends on your ears anyways.

Why not just go with their K12-H200tc? That's the speaker in a M.Britt Xitone Cab... and seems to work really well. What makes this Celestion better for modelers?

Why not just go with their K12-H200tc? That's the speaker in a M.Britt Xitone Cab... and seems to work really well. What makes this Celestion better for modelers?

Nah, I do not use the K12-H200TC in the MBritt. I use the FTX1225 and I do get lots of positive reviews on it. :)

The F12-X200 and the K12-H200TC are completely different drivers. I do use the K12-200TC in my GRFR (Guitar Range Flat Response) cabs as it tops out around 12khz so therefore its not FRFR but the F12-X200 tops out at 20k so it is full range.

I've not heard the F12-X200 yet so I can't yet speak to how it sounds but it seems based on what they are saying that they have taken the physical architecture of a guitar speaker (lighter moving mass and straighter sided cone) and developed a tweeter into it, thus making it full range.

Mick - thanks for correcting me on that info. I’m not sure where I heard about the k12-h200 as the go-to for the MBritt cab. Sorry about that. I’m still curious though: if someone is intending on using the cabinet for guitar only, what’s lost by using a speaker that tops out at 12k? Seems like a very good option.

There's no performance benefit to having the passive crossover parts encased with the drivers, since component values can change with heat. But maybe that doesn't matter much since it's not a totally flat/accurate speaker anyway. Seems the only reason they did this is for more people to be able to easily implement an FR type guitar speaker into whatever backline or wedge they have.

The one thing that makes me curious about this is the lighter and straight cone, which are properties of a guitar speaker. Seems they made a coaxial guitar speaker! Haha, haven't seen one before.

Someone from Celestion said the crossover is at 3 kHz, so the 2k bump looks to be the effect of speaker breakup/resonance. Also, most likely going to get a little beamy at 3k is my guess. None of the Celestion coaxials have a flat HF due to HF reflections associated with this type of coaxial design, so the deviance at HF is just unavoidable stuff I think. Lastly, the frequency response on the website looks a bit smoothed, so it's probably even a bit less flat than what's shown :p

My personal preference is for a universally accurate monitor, not something guitar oriented. So while I can't see myself using it, would like to hear how it performs. Could be great for people who want a more guitar-cab sounding monitor.

The box will change the response so making it flat wouldn't really work in the end.

Interesting. It’s not flat based on the freq response they have on the site. Maybe once it’s enclosed in a box it will be flatter. I didn’t think of that. In the end it all depends on your ears anyways.

A cab will not turn a non-flat driver into a flat product. Case in point, look at all these HF drivers, all designed to achieve a flat frequency response:
https://celestion.com/category/39/compression_drivers_neo/

The F12-X200 and the K12-H200TC look like they have VERY similar frequency response (in as much as their ranges overlap) including the bump at 1.0-2.0 kHz. I wouldn't be surprised if they based the new F12-X200 off the K12-H200TC. The removal of the wizzer cone would be enough to account for the differences. The crossover would account for the 2k bump. Both are 200W.

F12-X200 in BLUE
K12-H200TC in RED
upload_2018-1-28_14-13-3.png

Mick - thanks for correcting me on that info. I’m not sure where I heard about the k12-h200 as the go-to for the MBritt cab. Sorry about that. I’m still curious though: if someone is intending on using the cabinet for guitar only, what’s lost by using a speaker that tops out at 12k? Seems like a very good option.

You are quite correct that the K12-H200TC is a great option for guys who only want to use it for guitar work. I was just stating that the MBritt has a different driver.. not knocking the merits of the K12 at all. :)

Back
Top Bottom