Celestion Alnico Cream IRs. Why so few?

The Alnico Cream is indeed no "bass monster". As we have one loaded in our 1x12" Red Majesty cab (as V2-Cream) in our V2-Red Special cab pack, it has a low resonance frequency of 108 hz (for comparision: the EV-12L (V2-Eve) has a low resonance frequency of 96 hz)
Imho this is a nice speaker for clean/mild breakup stuff, where good presence is needed. I would not recommend it for stuff, were tons of low end is needed.
interesting tidbit about low end freq resonance.

did you measured it by yourself ?

I believe that on a cream’s package it says 75hz, like most of the celestion speakers.

Attachments

• ABDCCA81-2242-45BC-B57C-C51A4C943AF6.jpeg
    ABDCCA81-2242-45BC-B57C-C51A4C943AF6.jpeg
    214.3 KB · Views: 10
I have pair of alnico creams on top in my friedman 4x12 cab with 2 redbacks on a bottom.

I am sure that cab itself makes them sounds bigger, but even if I listen closely to the creams, they don’t lack any bass IME.

Needed to say, I play heavy riffs in drop C with PRS Tremonti.

I tried dozen of different celestions, and creams are by far my favourite.

They handle clean, mid gain and hi gain like no other speaker.

YMMV of course :)
You should shoot an IR of those speakers. I'd be interested in trying those out myself.

I have pair of alnico creams on top in my friedman 4x12 cab with 2 redbacks on a bottom.

I am sure that cab itself makes them sounds bigger, but even if I listen closely to the creams, they don’t lack any bass IME.

Tough to tell when colored by a large 4x12 enclosure and redbacks which are notoriously low end heavy (which may be why you paired them together in your cab), playing Drop C Tremonti - it's hard to say any speaker will lack low end with that combo, lol

To say it 'lacks' low end isn't an indictment against it. It's just a characteristic. I think it has awesome low end with respect to the other 'color' that this speaker provides, and the perfect amount of low end if you're playing a low-mid gain Blues Jr or AC30.... and if you want some more - toss in a GEQ or PEQ, like I do sometimes (just a few db's).

FWIW I play through a vertical Marshall 2x12 with 2x Alnico Creams. These were previously in a Seismic Open Back cab. The closed back does a lot to enhance the low end of these Creams. I backed my GEQ down from +6db bass boost to +3db after putting them in the closed back Marshall.

👍

You should shoot an IR of those speakers. I'd be interested in trying those out myself.
yeah, maybe one day, when I’ll have proper tools for that.

for now here’s some in the room sounds of alnico creams.

listen how heavy they can sound - they are IMO for sure not for clean/mid gain only, like someone mentioned here earlier.

interesting tidbit about low end freq resonance.

did you measured it by yourself ?

I believe that on a cream’s package it says 75hz, like most of the celestion speakers.
If you put the speaker into a cabinet, the the low resonance frequency increases. The measurement was taken in our 1x12" Oversized cabinet. If you put an MC90 Black Shadow in this cab, it's 95 Hz. The Alnico Cream is NOT a speaker with a big low end.

Tough to tell when colored by a large 4x12 enclosure and redbacks which are notoriously low end heavy (which may be why you paired them together in your cab), playing Drop C Tremonti - it's hard to say any speaker will lack low end with that combo, lol

To say it 'lacks' low end isn't an indictment against it. It's just a characteristic. I think it has awesome low end with respect to the other 'color' that this speaker provides, and the perfect amount of low end if you're playing a low-mid gain Blues Jr or AC30.... and if you want some more - toss in a GEQ or PEQ, like I do sometimes (just a few db's).

FWIW I play through a vertical Marshall 2x12 with 2x Alnico Creams. These were previously in a Seismic Open Back cab. The closed back does a lot to enhance the low end of these Creams. I backed my GEQ down from +6db bass boost to +3db after putting them in the closed back Marshall.

👍
I would say frequency wise, creams are the most balanced.

V30’s has high mid spike, greenbacks also in different freq spectrum.

yes, redbacks are low end heavy and they are by far the best with creams (I have tried I think 5-6 different combinations, until I settled on this combo.

Redbacks have a very good low end, they will help you a lot, to get low end the Alnico Creams are missing. No matter, if you put your ears to the Creams, the low end will come from the Redbacks. The deeper the frequency gets, the more the polar patterns changes to omni. So, you hear the low end from the Redbacks.

Last edited:
If you put the speaker into a cabinet, the the low resonance frequency increases. The measurement was taken in our 1x12" Oversized cabinet. If you put an MC90 Black Shadow in this cab, it's 95 Hz. The Alnico Cream is NOT a speaker with a big low end.
sure, nobody said that they have big low end.

I just said that they have enough, for my rig, taste, etc.

For me, this is not about low end with Alnico Creams.

But rather how sound projecting through them sounds complex.

Anytime I go to different speaker, I almost feel like going from 3D sound to 2 - 2,5D sound, if that makes any sense :)

yeah, maybe one day, when I’ll have proper tools for that.

for now here’s some in the room sounds of alnico creams.

listen how heavy they can sound - they are IMO for sure not for clean/mid gain only, like someone mentioned here earlier.

You don't need a bunch of uber expensive gear to shoot an IR. With any decent interface and mic you can get good results.

Redbacks have a very good low end, the will help you a lot, to get low end, the Alnico Creams are missing. No matter, if you put your ears to the Creams, the low end will come from the Redbacks. The deeper the frequency gets, the more the polar patterns changes to omni. So, you hear the low end from the Redbacks.
very interesting.

I’ll try to read a few more times to wrap my head around this tidbit 😃

I would say frequency wise, creams are the most balanced.

V30’s has high mid spike, greenbacks also in different freq spectrum.

yes, redbacks are low end heavy and they are by far the best with creams (I have tried I think 5-6 different combinations, until I settled on this combo.
BTW, that's got to be one of the heaviest 4x12 cabs man. You have like 45 pounds just in the speakers, lol.

But rather how sound projecting through them sounds complex.

yeah man - I've experienced the same. I suspect creating a speaker that has more low end would take away from this complexity and articulation (ie: see Alnico Ruby - i say this based on reading, and youtube, not my experience).

BTW, that's got to be one of the heaviest 4x12 cabs man. You have like 45 pounds just in the speakers, lol.
oh man, you nailed it.

that’s the first thing I bi*ched about, when I changed the speakers.

I couldn’t believe how much heavier the cab feels now.

it feels like +10kg really, but it’s so worth it :)

Last edited:
I would rather do it in my acoustically improved Marshall Mode4 cabinet, which is basically an Oversized cab with the measures of a 1960tv cab. I prefer them to Mesa Cabs, especially the angled ones.

I would rather do it in my acoustically improved Marshall Mode4 cabinet, which is basically an Oversized cab with the measures of a 1960tv cab. I prefer them to Mesa Cabs, especially the angled ones.
sounds like a good plan :)

I personally prefer more traditional size cabs, let’s say the speakers are always v30’s - tradional size cabs sounds always better for me compared to oversized.

tighter, more focused, better transients, less ear fatique, IMO of course :)

Back
Top Bottom