Celestion Alnico Cream IRs. Why so few?

JRod4928

Power User
I know of the factory zilla cab 2x12 alnico cream IR by ML and I think York Audio has a few. But I'm surprised at how few IRs exist for this speaker considering how highly it is regarded. Or maybe someone has done some that I'm not aware of. Anyone?

The Celestion Alnico Cream IS a great speaker (I've got a single real one), but it's only been out since 2015 so my guess is there just aren't all that many cabs out there to be IR-ified.

The Celestion Alnico Cream IS a great speaker (I've got a single real one), but it's only been out since 2015 so my guess is there just aren't all that many cabs out there to be IR-ified.
I just received my first real one today, got another one coming this week. I've accumulated a couple good speakers to try out in my 2x12 and 1x12. Didn't realize they were so new.

I'll look into @Valhallir IRs, haven't heard of them. They have a sample pack for free so I'll start there.

I'm not one to dive too far into the IR rabbit hole, but I thought it was odd to see so few of the Creams. I'd like to try more!

I just received my first real one today, got another one coming this week. I've accumulated a couple good speakers to try out in my 2x12 and 1x12. Didn't realize they were so new.

I'll look into @Valhallir IRs, haven't heard of them. They have a sample pack for free so I'll start there.

I'm not one to dive too far into the IR rabbit hole, but I thought it was odd to see so few of the Creams. I'd like to try more!
You should also find an IR from this cab pack here in the teaserpack:
https://valhallir.at/shop/v2-kcb112/
It's a super expensive 1x12" custom cab made by the german Custom cab builder "Kammler" and is also loaded with an Alnico Cream.

Update - loaded the Alnico Cream in my 2x12 to accompany my Alnico Gold..... this combo can handle anything from hard rock to soft cleans. Fantastic.

I actually have a 2nd Cream arriving today. Want to test 2x Creams in the 2x12 and see if it sounds much different. The Gold has more pronounced mids, which isn't a bad thing, just an observation in comparison to the Cream - both are very clear and articulate. I suspect I'll like either combination (2 creams vs. gold + cream), just a matter of taste.

Definitely a winner - Would be awesome to have IR's to replicate this! Thanks for your work guys

Update - loaded the Alnico Cream in my 2x12 to accompany my Alnico Gold..... this combo can handle anything from hard rock to soft cleans. Fantastic.

I actually have a 2nd Cream arriving today. Want to test 2x Creams in the 2x12 and see if it sounds much different. The Gold has more pronounced mids, which isn't a bad thing, just an observation in comparison to the Cream - both are very clear and articulate. I suspect I'll like either combination (2 creams vs. gold + cream), just a matter of taste.

Definitely a winner - Would be awesome to have IR's to replicate this! Thanks for your work guys
Yeah, the Cream is smoother sounding than the Gold in my experience. That speaker is equally at home with a Class-A amp or a Triple Rectifier. My amp tech told me to try them with high gain amps. I always assumed they were too “pretty” for rock, but he was right.

@JRod4928 I took a few test shots of the Alnico Cream in a 2x12 and made a quick mix. I didn't have time to hone in on mic placements, so it's not perfect, but hopefully it'll temporarily scratch your Alnico Cream itch.

It's in .syx format, so you can drag n' drop it into one of your user slots.

Attachments

• YA YORK 212 test CRM Mix.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 171
@JRod4928 I took a few test shots of the Alnico Cream in a 2x12 and made a quick mix. I didn't have time to hone in on mic placements, so it's not perfect, but hopefully it'll temporarily scratch your Alnico Cream itch.

You are THE man.

As you posted this, I was taking a quick work break because my 2nd Alnico Cream came in and I tested it out in my 2x12 (2 creams). Amazing. I don't need to search for another speaker. From a cleaner Blues Jr / Vox to a screaming SLO 100, it can do it all.

I'll try out the IR tomorrow/this weekend (busy tonight unfortunately)!

You are THE man.

As you posted this, I was taking a quick work break because my 2nd Alnico Cream came in and I tested it out in my 2x12 (2 creams). Amazing. I don't need to search for another speaker. From a cleaner Blues Jr / Vox to a screaming SLO 100, it can do it all.

I'll try out the IR tomorrow/this weekend (busy tonight unfortunately)!
No problem. Hopefully it’s a decent enough IR for you until I can make a proper cab pack. I’m glad you’re liking the real speakers. They really are special!

Super curious to try some Alnico Creams for higher gain. There are a few stock cabs with Alnico Creams.

Reza Matix on YouTube almost exclusively uses Alnico Cream for high gain. (Full disclosure, I'm not always 100% loving his tone, but it is often pretty great.)

I would love to have you shoot my custom widebody (to match the width of their 6A20 combo) Weber 2x10 X-Cab with AlNiCo 10V speakers. Tremendous sounding cab/speaker combo....

Super curious to try some Alnico Creams for higher gain. There are a few stock cabs with Alnico Creams.

Reza Matix on YouTube almost exclusively uses Alnico Cream for high gain. (Full disclosure, I'm not always 100% loving his tone, but it is often pretty great.)

I found the low end to be SLIGHTLY loose, so if your high gain involves a lot of tight chugging, you may prefer a crisper ceramic speaker. But of course, you'll never know until you try.

Another note - I tried mixing this Cream with a Greenback, and it didn't do what I'd hoped. I expected to get a best of both worlds situation, but what happened was the Greenback muddied the best parts of the Cream, and the Greenback wasn't loud enough (lower sensitivitiy than Cream) to actually contribute in a helpful way. I'm not sure if other combos would help, but it wasn't until I tried a Cream with a Gold, and ultimately 2x Creams that I really started to hear how awesome this speaker sounds...... so I wouldn't recommend mixing them, but of course, YMMV.

This area is so subjective.

This IR is awesome! It sounds good with every amp I've tried it with so far. JTM45, AC-20, Z 66... and now for some more gain.

Back
Top Bottom