Cat5 faster than midi-cable?

... The resulting USB message can be double the size of the native MIDI message. Since USB is over 15,000 times faster than MIDI (480,000 kbit/s vs 31.25 kbit/s,) USB has the potential to be much faster. However, due to the nature of USB there is more latency and jitter introduced that is usually in the range of 2 to 10 ms, or about 2 to 10 MIDI commands. Some comparisons done in the early part of the 2000s showed USB to be slightly slower with higher latency ... -- The Truth About Latency: Part 2

... The resulting USB message can be double the size of the native MIDI message. Since USB is over 15,000 times faster than MIDI (480,000 kbit/s vs 31.25 kbit/s,) USB has the potential to be much faster. However, due to the nature of USB there is more latency and jitter introduced that is usually in the range of 2 to 10 ms, or about 2 to 10 MIDI commands. Some comparisons done in the early part of the 2000s showed USB to be slightly slower with higher latency ... -- The Truth About Latency: Part 2

I thiink he was asking about the expansion port not the USB port. I believe the correct answer to the OP question is no the CAT5 cable via the expansion port is just a more convenient method of getting the MIDI in/out and power to the MFC. Do not confuse it with ethernet.... additionally, you can purchase a CAT5 cable just anout anywhere... a MIDI cable is a little harder to find in a pinch.

Last edited:

Umm.. I believe the OP is asking about Cat5 (ethernet cable) vs midi cable. USB is irrelevant here.

I have no specs or anything to back this but.. when comparing MFC switching via 7-pin midi cable VS a Cat5 cable into the expansion port.. I can't tell any speed difference either way. I went back to the midi cable.. too many flakey connections using cat5 (the rj45 connector doesn't always seat properly for some reason).

True, but it was vaguely related and I was interested in the data showing that even though the computer protocol is much faster in design, in practice it is not. Was interrupted with a call before I could finish my post and clicked post hurriedly ...

Not that the data moving over the Cat 5 from MFC to Axe is large, but in moving MIDI data from AXE to Mac over USB it seems to move at MIDI pace; not much faster than a MIDI interface. See RTP-MIDI for network MIDI protocols.

Last edited:
Yes. It's about the cat5, not the USB.
Since I own a high quality 7 pin midi, I don't change to a cat5 when there is no advantage for me.

Cat5 not noticable faster...
Ok. Thanks for the fast answer.

Back
Top Bottom