Cat-5 cables.. ethrcon to cat5?

ethrbunny

Inspired
I just bought a 101 (ouch) and am wondering about cabling. Apparently the version that's shipping now has an ethrcon plug. The AFX (AFAIK) has cat-5. Suggestions on where to buy a cable with the appropriate plugs?

Sorry if I missed something...but is it a little odd that the MFC (designed to pair to AXE) has different connection ports? Does a reg Cat 5 not plug into the newer MFC MkII? thx

Sorry if I missed something...but is it a little odd that the MFC (designed to pair to AXE) has different connection ports? Does a reg Cat 5 not plug into the newer MFC MkII? thx

Yes it does, but the MFC MKII has the extra option for a special connector that goes around the regular ethernet cable just to be stronger. You can still use the ethernet cable without that.

Somewhat surprisingly, guitar-cable.com does not have an option for regular RJ45 on one end and Ethercon on the other. But they do make both types, and I'd imagine they'd have no problem making such a cable. Especially since they've partnered with Fractal to make cables specifically designed for Fractal's needs (like the unique humbuster wiring). They probably just don't know that the MFC (but not the Axe) has been switched to Ethercon and that there's a need for this cable yet. Or if they do, their site isn't updated.

Somewhat surprisingly, guitar-cable.com does not have an option for regular RJ45 on one end and Ethercon on the other. But they do make both types, and I'd imagine they'd have no problem making such a cable. Especially since they've partnered with Fractal to make cables specifically designed for Fractal's needs (like the unique humbuster wiring). They probably just don't know that the MFC (but not the Axe) has been switched to Ethercon and that there's a need for this cable yet. Or if they do, their site isn't updated.

Just email them. They can make whatever cable/patchpanel you need.

I think you will find the Axe will also have an Ethercon on it one day soon.

PS Cliff, while you're re-tooling the rear panel, you may as well put a USB port for loading from a memory stick :)

Cheers S

I think you will find the Axe will also have an Ethercon on it one day soon.

PS Cliff, while you're re-tooling the rear panel, you may as well put a USB port for loading from a memory stick :)

Cheers S

And make it to where the rear input can be the same as plugging into the front for us wireless users. Had to drill through my SKB to make it to the front. Not cool.

Last edited:
Trying to connect my MFC 101 to my AXE Effects II with a CAT5 cable. I grabbed a CAT5 from my pile of router cables and the connectors are too small on both ends. Are there bigger connectors for CAT5 cables?

Trying to connect my MFC 101 to my AXE Effects II with a CAT5 cable. I grabbed a CAT5 from my pile of router cables and the connectors are too small on both ends. Are there bigger connectors for CAT5 cables?

Then you got a phonecable not a cat5:)

Best-Tronics are about to add a bunch of Ethercon/Cat5 Adapters and Cables.

My recommendation will be their Ethernet Male to Ethercon Female "Pigtail".

http://www.Fractalaudio.com/cables

These have started to show up on their site, although I haven't seen the "pigtail" one yet... Prices look reasonable... remember that these are not just normal Cat5 cables but are heavy-duty cables designed for the kind of abuse we'd be putting them through....

Is there an advantage to running the Cat5 vs MIDI cables?

Assuming you're going to use a 7 pin MIDI cable to run phantom, your advantages are:

- You don't need to have the MFC's power adapter hooked up to the Axe and plugged into AC. Over the RJ45 port, the power is supplied from the Axe's internal supply.
- Not considering Ethercon, standard Ethernet cables are cheaper and far more readily available than a 7 pin MIDI cable. Even if you're using a much less common Ethercon cable, you can find a cheap backup virtually anywhere.

As far as I know, the two should function the same. It shouldn't work any better or worse over cat5 vs MIDI.

Back
Top Bottom