Cases for moving guitars?

Sometimes you get what you pay for and then keep paying for not a whole lot of return on investment. In other words, it's easy to piss money away on unnecessary floof. The money i saved buying $80 cases and not $290 cases paid for the FM3.... just sayin'! :cool:
I hear ya USMC! Are you a veteran? I'll bet you are, and so am I. Thank you for your service! The "Just sayin" could go on forever. :) :guitar: 🇺🇸

All three times I've done long-distance moves I was able to carry at least some of my guitars with me. The least-valuable ones went in the moving truck, in standard guitar cases, and I made sure they were padded with towels/bubble wrap on the inside as well, and that that movers put them in places that would support them well. Never any issues. Definitely wouldn't just use gig bags - even the ones in my SUV got new cases if needed because it was pretty packed too. I also padded my amps in boxes, pulled the tubes, and put wood or at least cardboard over the grill so the speakers didn't get punctured.

Also, make sure that you can lock the cases, or at least wrap a bunch of tape around the cases and across the latches. That way they won't just pop open by mistake, and you might also be able to tell if the movers mess with them.

Depending on your move, it's not always as simple as "into truck at your old house > out of truck at your new house" - do your research first. Movers often give wide delivery date estimates - not because they don't know how long it takes to drive from point A to point B - but because many do pickups and drop-offs on the way to maximize their efficiency, which means they may rearrange your stuff in the truck. Many also will take your stuff to warehouses along the way, remove it all, let it sit for a couple of days, and then reload into a different truck that may still make other stops along the way. Our last move we almost got screwed on that one, fortunately we realized it and found someone local to Utah who drove straight to our new house in CO. It helped that it's a one-day drive but cross-country is a different deal. It definitely helps if you're able to fill the truck - then they're more likely to just take your stuff straight there.

I am using ENKI. It's really safe,strong built like a tank
and, roles as a guitar shelf on stage either... please see;

https://enkiusa.com/products/enki-amg-2xl-electric-guitar-case
@hippietim mentioned these in a DM to me. Amazing, but aside from the move I'm not sure I'd need something that bomb proof ever again, so a bit overkill.

I'm going to do a hybrid approach. Nice case for the PRS. Boxes for the Warmoth and EoB and Ibby. And then wardrobe boxes to aggregate everything.

The cost of shipping a case is approximately the cost of buying a new case with free shipping from an online retailer. Might as well buy new. Otherwise, I’d offer to loan you some cases.

If you want the added protection of a box, Reverb sells guitar shipping boxes - 3 for $35.

Movers every time except for when I escaped 29 Palms and drove cross country, and when I packed up my house into a PODS pod when I went to med school. They're solid foam core top and bottom with a nylon wrapper and a zip. Once the movers load the cases in the truck, they're Tetris'ed (new word, just made it up) in pretty tight and secure. And in the instance when they were in the PODS pod, that box was moved around dozens of times in the warehouse and then shipping to Richmond from PA. Then movers again this very weekend (Two Men and a Truck).

They never even got out of tune.
You can run red lights unscathed, too, most of the time. Why chance it?

Back
Top Bottom