• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Cascading FET Boosts into a tube amp

duneman

Just discovered something last night. The Carr Mercury V is such a great amp (used to be a Boogie guy but no more) there's really no need for OD or distortion pedals in a recording situation - one dials in what ever amount of gain needed for the job. But since its a single channel amp playing live is a different matter. I'd been using a number of different overdrive blocks starting with the FET Boost for crunch, then the Full OD block, with a Tube Drive 4 knob block in the Y position. The blocks sound great but the amp's distortion is superior. Ultimately somewhat of compromise.

Then it hit me... why not just use a couple of FET Boosts in series to add successively more gain going into the amp, thereby increasing the natural amp distortion? So I tried it and it works perfectly. The chain is a clean channel (FETs off) to a nice crunch (one FET on) and a serious high gain distortion (two FETs on) giving me pure amp distortion without a need for the OD blocks and effectively turning the Carr into a three channel amp, which is about the only thing I miss about my Boogie... ha!

So far so good. We'll see how it plays out in the log run.

Top Bottom