Carvin DCM200L?

DJD100 said:
Anyone try this yet?

Is it Class AB (specs don't mention this at Carvin's site)?

Thanks...

I'm guessing that this is a Class-D power amp since it weighs 4 or 5 pounds. I've been thinking about trying one out.

I currently use a pair of EH 22 Caliber amps and they work great in a non-FRFR rig. The Carvin should be a bit more powerful and quite a bit more convenient...

I always run guitar in FOH at shows and I'm starting to put a little in at rehearsals too so having 500 watts of solid state power is becoming less important.

"switchmode power supply" is that just a fancy name for switching power supply?if it's switching,that would be class H,no?not sure.

I don't think so as the Stewart Audio PA Series is Class AB and features a switching power supply.

RDeraz said:
"switchmode power supply" is that just a fancy name for switching power supply?if it's switching,that would be class H,no?not sure.

The Stewart Audio PA Series amps are Class AB is only 3.5lbs to 4.5lbs, so I don't think the weight means anything?

Chris Hurley said:
DJD100 said:
Anyone try this yet?

Is it Class AB (specs don't mention this at Carvin's site)?

Thanks...

I'm guessing that this is a Class-D power amp since it weighs 4 or 5 pounds. I've been thinking about trying one out.

I currently use a pair of EH 22 Caliber amps and they work great in a non-FRFR rig. The Carvin should be a bit more powerful and quite a bit more convenient...

I always run guitar in FOH at shows and I'm starting to put a little in at rehearsals too so having 500 watts of solid state power is becoming less important.

Indeed.

Class A/B amps are no heavier then Class D or Class H. The Class is the amplifying class only.

Its the Power supplies that give the weight. Switch mode (of switching) power supplies are light and were initially used on class H amps (I believer though it could have been class D). No reason why you cant use a switch mose supply in a Class A/B Amp.

Ive been wondering the same though about the class. All the other DCM Models are class A/B but it doesnt specify for the 200L.

I only use mono - so have my SLA-1 bridged giving 260W into my 4 Ohm cab. Using the Carvin will loose me 60W - which is nothing iun volume but a fair bit in headroom. Still for a class A/B amp it may well be worth it.

DJD100 said:
Thanks for the info, so I guess I'm looking at one of these for the fly rack/bag thingie...

http://www.stewartaudio.com/pa_series.php

...100W bridged mono is enough for me so I can just have a standard guitar cab on the rider (easier that way in small towns etc).

Only 4.5lbs too with it's rack kit.

Thanks...

paulmapp8306 said:
OH - From Carvin, the 200L is Class D.

I have a jc120 on my rider and i run into the returns. just for monitoring only out of output 2 with the fxloop right before my cab block. my output one has the cabs and goes to FOH.

N

That's another good idea, thanks?

Do you find the need for pretty a drastic low end boost on your output 2 to get close to your cab'd FOH output 1 sound with the open back JC120?

If yes, does the Global EQ on output 2 get you there by itself?

I'm new to the Axe and I'm seemingly needing quite a correction curve featuring a healthy low end boost to roughly match the cab'd FOH sounds?

Also, are you carrying yours on, and if so in what rack or rack bag?

Thanks...

nnajar said:
DJD100 said:
Thanks for the info, so I guess I'm looking at one of these for the fly rack/bag thingie...

http://www.stewartaudio.com/pa_series.php

...100W bridged mono is enough for me so I can just have a standard guitar cab on the rider (easier that way in small towns etc).

Only 4.5lbs too with it's rack kit.

Thanks...

paulmapp8306 said:
OH - From Carvin, the 200L is Class D.

I have a jc120 on my rider and i run into the returns. just for monitoring only out of output 2 with the fxloop right before my cab block. my output one has the cabs and goes to FOH.

N

nnajar said:

N
DJD100 said:
That's another good idea, thanks?

Do you find the need for pretty a drastic low end boost on your output 2 to get close to your cab'd FOH output 1 sound with the open back JC120?

If yes, does the Global EQ on output 2 get you there by itself?

I'm new to the Axe and I'm seemingly needing quite a correction curve featuring a healthy low end boost to roughly match the cab'd FOH sounds?

Also, are you carrying yours on, and if so in what rack or rack bag?

Thanks...

I just use the graphic in the global setting to adjust to my environment. I don't try to match my cab sims (no real good way to compare them in a timely manner on the gig), but instead just get the onstage sound decent. often times I can just leave it flat and it sounds just fine.

I have a 3RU lightweight shockmount rack from A&S cases. loaded with the axe, my wireless, some cables and my LFJR (lfjr fits in the lid!) the whole thing weighs 45 lbs. I just check it in at luggage.

N

Back
Top Bottom